U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 07:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 4,166,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Are you forgetting about ...

The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits

http://umich.edu/~thecore/doc/Friedman.pdf
That's in theory. Practically we expect businesses to show some form of social responsibility, that's why YouTube is shutting down channels, Facebook is crushing fake news. They do it because it increases profits by reducing consumers switching to alternatives.

However the public desires companies to show some social responsibility, to not do so risks reduced profits

Clear enough?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 AM

20,331 posts, read 10,439,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'll play along.

How many government goons and how much money will it take to go around enforcing your inane law?

Oh, and how does one enforce it?

And will you pay for it?
How are the CRA and public accommodation laws currently enforced? Adding sexual orientation to current laws won't change how they are currently enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
He refused because of what the cake was for.

He would have made the customer a birthday cake.
It's none of his business what they were going to do with the cake. I can buy a cake and blow it up or toss it in a pond, or run over it with my car once it is purchased the baker has no say over what is done with it.

He refused to sell a cake that he would have made for Bob and Sally, because it was for Dan and Joe.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 AM

29,711 posts, read 16,419,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It's none of his business what they were going to do with the cake. I can buy a cake and blow it up or toss it in a pond, or run over it with my car once it is purchased the baker has no say over what is done with it.

He refused to sell a cake that he would have made for Bob and Sally, because it was for Dan and Joe.
The baker shouldn't need to justify serving or not serving anyone. He owns his labor.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:32 AM

12,106 posts, read 6,682,852 times
Quote:

He can make it his business, it is not illegal to be nosey. You can go elsewhere if you don't like how the business is run.

Tech companies are being very intrusive about who uses their platforms based on behavior.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 AM

3,321 posts, read 642,373 times
Quote:

Depends. Maybe they wanted it decorated with the same-sex couple trimmings.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Depends. Maybe they wanted it decorated with the same-sex couple trimmings.
Except for the fact that the decorations were never discussed and he refused to make them ANY wedding cake.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Except for the fact that the decorations were never discussed and he refused to make them ANY wedding cake.
Even so, he has a right to refuse to participate in a gay marriage by supplying such a significant symbol of it. I still say, his business....his decision.

There are probably dozens of bakeries in the area that wouldn't have a problem with it. The couple should just buy from one of them.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:44 AM

What if I went into a Muslim-owned bakery and ordered an "Israel Independence Day" cake? Would you insist the Muslim owner provide me the food to celebrate something he denounces?

Old 06-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What if I went into a Muslim-owned bakery and ordered an "Israel Independence Day" cake? Would you insist the Muslim owner provide me the food to celebrate something he denounces?
If the Muslim bakery offers "Israel independence day" cakes for sale then he can not refuse to make one for you. IF he doesn't offer them in his store, then he doesn't have to make one for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies