U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 11:37 PM

24,906 posts, read 9,701,765 times

Advertisements

Frank, Volobjectarian and Gungnir's consistency in morality and logic when it comes to property rights and freedom of association has upset me so much that I'm not even in the mood for my gay Nazi cake.

Last edited by No_Recess; 06-12-2019 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 PM

9,371 posts, read 4,299,786 times
Liberalism is not a religion despite many of them worshiping at the alter of PC.

`

Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Religion is a fairy tale, with no supporting empirical evidence to back it up. What you choose to believe along those lines is absolutely harmless until you try to force it on others.

Nazism is an historic reality. They murdered six million people, and the evil philosophy behind the reality hasn't changed.
Soooo...how's about a cake with an American flag on it?

Got about a couple hundred thousand brown babies who were slaughtered under that emblem since I was in high school.

Or does that "historic reality" get a pass? If so, I guess it's cool. As Marie Antoinette famously said, "Let them eat cake" (pun intended).

Last edited by No_Recess; 06-12-2019 at 11:51 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
that doesnt technically discriminate against anyone ,so its different.
What if I don't have feet?

Old 06-12-2019, 11:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 5,390,296 times
I lean liberal. I supported the the bakery that refused to bake a gay wedding cake. I would not support the government forcing any individual how they should live nor tell anyone how should run their business.

People don't understand that there is a difference between refusing service due to race creed or color versus refusing to provide a service they don't offer.

A Bible store should not refuse service to a person because of their religion is not catholic... But they should not be forced to sell other religious text. A Jew should be allowed to buy a Bible from a Bible store but not walk into a Bible store insisting to be sold the Torah.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I lean liberal. I supported the the bakery that refused to bake a gay wedding cake. I would not support the government forcing any individual how they should live nor tell anyone how should run their business.

People don't understand that there is a difference between refusing service due to race creed or color versus refusing to provide a service they don't offer.

A Bible store should not refuse service to a person because of their religion is not catholic... But they should not be forced to sell other religious text. A Jew should be allowed to buy a Bible from a Bible store but not walk into a Bible store insisting to be sold the Torah.
I've never heard a more eloquent endorsement for slavery in my entire life.

Pretty impressive feat since I'm a public school graduate to boot.

Well done.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Well done.
A wonderful display of someone who missed the point.

Backing individual rights and private business rights is not endorsing slavery.... Quite the opposite.

Do we expect women only gyms to be forced to accept men?
Do we expect Bible stores to sell other religious texts?
Do we expect women's clothing stores to sell men's clothing?
Etc....

The way I see it, this is a business opportunity for another bakery to specialize in LGBTQ wedding cakes or politically themed ones

Last edited by usayit; 06-13-2019 at 12:31 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 01:16 AM

9,265 posts, read 10,928,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That's like saying flags are only pieces of cloth. Some ppl don't want to be associated with immorality even if it is merely symbolic.
Cakes are not Christian, Jewish, Muslim, gay, straight, transgender... . They're cakes. That was my point and why I thought it was funny that people were calling a CAKE (flour, milk, eggs, sugar...) "GAY". It's funny to me. Maybe not to you.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 AM

4,579 posts, read 4,450,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Well done.
Huh?????

Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They are the same thing. What is different? Same owner, same building, same address. You have to bend reality to say otherwise.
While I do agree that even publicly accessible property ( like a shopping mall) is still private property just like a persons residential home, I think in the case of Civil Rights Act of 1964, they include the following words: "relief against discrimination in public accommodations"

The underlined has a legal definition of the following:

"Public accommodations, in US law, are generally defined as facilities, both public and private, used by the public. "

So in the context of Civil Rights, a private address (home) isn't treated the same as a private address of public accommodations (including a business that serves the public).

So in summary, property rights are not absolute when it comes to a publicly accessible business.

Again though....

There is a difference between discrimination of who you serve versus the good and services that a business chooses to sell. Not serving a customer based on race, color, religion or sex is discrimination. However, a business choosing not to sell a good/service (a political themed cake for example) is NOT discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies