Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Except for the fact that he didn't refuse because he didn't have eggs, he refused because of who the cake was for.
I'll play along.

How many government goons and how much money will it take to go around enforcing your inane law?

Oh, and how does one enforce it?

And will you pay for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
He refused because of what the cake was for.

He would have made the customer a birthday cake.
And he could have made him the Mona Lisa if he was down one ear and lived in France.

*shrug*

I mean...do you folks understand what you're proposing here?

Old 06-14-2019, 12:06 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You are comparing law-abiding LGBT citizens to the Klan?

The Klan murders, lynches, terrorizes, harasses, harms, and injures INNOCENT people, and does it all maliciously. That is a ridiculous analogy.
No you seem to be though.

I'm putting forward scenarios that demonstrate we expect businesses to show some degree of social responsibility or suffer consequences. While claiming that they are non-participants in events that they service.

Your outrage proves my point.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:09 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I live in CO and don’t recall seeing anything about the political affiliation of the person who brought the lawsuit.
How do you know that this person is a liberal?
She might not be a liberal , but she's a transgender woman who gets her kicks from harassing Phillips with the help of the anti-religion Colorado Civil Rights Commission.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's awfully weird to me when business owners choose not to do business with someone over politics. I don't get it. If I owned a business, I'd welcome all sides of the aisle, Trump lovers, haters, gays, straight, bisexuals.... all religions, everyone. I thought people went into business to, I don't know, make money. But apparently not
Those of you who'd provide a service to 'everyone' for any cause they represent or any event they want the service for, have weak principles and are extraordinarily greedy.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:17 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And he could have made him the Mona Lisa if he was down one ear and lived in France.

*shrug*

I mean...do you folks understand what you're proposing here?
Mona Lisa was painted by da Vinci, and in Italy. You're getting confused with Van Gough.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:26 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
No you seem to be though.

I'm putting forward scenarios that demonstrate we expect businesses to show some degree of social responsibility or suffer consequences. While claiming that they are non-participants in events that they service.

Your outrage proves my point.
Are you forgetting about ...

The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits

http://umich.edu/~thecore/doc/Friedman.pdf

Old 06-14-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Are you forgetting about ...

The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits

http://umich.edu/~thecore/doc/Friedman.pdf
A 1970 article by Milton Friedman ? Cripes, if it was up to him there wouldn't be any civil rights laws at all, and Phillips refusing to bake a cake for a same sex wedding wouldn't be an issue. Plus, he was writing about corporations with stockholders. I don't know if you can find a large corporation in 2019 that doesn't have a 'Corporate Social Responsibility' statement.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:15 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,687 times
I think liberal bakeries should be forced to bake pro-nazi or pro-israel cakes.
Let the liberals put their money where their mouths are.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:49 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I think liberal bakeries should be forced to bake pro-nazi or pro-israel cakes.
Let the liberals put their money where their mouths are.
Liberals are in the process of using their businesses to censor speech right now. They say it's their business, their rules. Go find another platform.

Go find another bakery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies