U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:55 AM

7,800 posts, read 2,269,793 times

Advertisements

none of my relatives are on the government dole so they all support Trump.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 AM

17,608 posts, read 8,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I recently lost a new friend because I said something positive about Trump. The ironic thing is that the positive was about his support for Israel - and the friend is Jewish. She was so angry with me that when she dropped me off after 10 pm, she sped off before she saw I got in the door.

Never heard from her again.
It seems many Secular Progressive Jews are no longer pro Israel which I find not only strange, but dsturbing. Either that, or their blind hatred of Trump makes anything he does wrong.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:03 AM

3,316 posts, read 640,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It seems many Secular Progressive Jews are no longer pro Israel which I find not only strange, but dsturbing. Either that, or their blind hatred of Trump makes anything he does wrong.
It's actually not a new phenomenon; it's just that it's been on steroids since Trump was elected. Secular Jews identify more strongly with liberalism than Judaism. The most far-left, anti-Israel progressive I know personally is a Jewish woman who works on Yom Kippur.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:12 AM

36,832 posts, read 16,078,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
My brother in law's nephew and his husband have continued to disown him. They were supportive when he came out 30 years ago, and took him in for a little while when he was a teenager because his mom was a drunk. It's pretty sad.
So... anyone who's lost a friend or relative because you voted for Trump or admitted you're conservative... have you patched things up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYUbkVWglc

Trump fans, are your relatives speaking to you yet?
My liberal relatives are NOT as immature and shallow as yours must be.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:23 AM

330 posts, read 161,035 times
After the election I gave my left-leaning friends and family time (about 8 months) to get their crap together. I listened to their lamentations, I read their posts on FB, I bit my tongue, trying to be patient, waiting for them to regain composure. That didn't happen; they have only become worse. The unhinged emotionalism has been replaced with real anger and hostility.

People I thought I knew and who I considered intelligent and even-keeled / level headed have surprised me; I have been insulted and denigrated and my adult children have been told some pretty horrendous things from their liberal cousins.

Pretty much the last couple years have proven to me that liberalism is a horribly debilitating mental disorder.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:32 AM

8,008 posts, read 3,143,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But politics is linked to our identity, our ideas, what we believe. In a way it describes who we are. If we are hateful, if we are kind, if we are gullible, if we have decent values, so it does come first before family. If a person rabidly hates gay people, doesn't believe we should help the poor, approves of bullying and ridicule, well, that's a big part of who they are. How can they get along with a family member who is really touchy about politically correct words, thinks college should be free and everyone should get a free basic income, illegals should come before Americans...they're already miles apart. Their differences came first and they are who they are. They already can't be very friendly to each other, family or not. They would have to be extremely careful when they are together. Today's politics have made us stop and think about what we believe and probably have made us believe even more strongly and now we know who we are.

I don't know if I'm right but that's how it seems. We'd so focused on politics that it's shaping who we are. Then who we are is deciding whether or not we can even get along with our family. Somebody needs to come along and help us to find how much we are alike instead of always how much we are different.
I've found that people rarely live up(or down) to the negative stereotypes and caricatures that their political opponents assign to them. When someone hates the other person in the room because of their real or imagined politics they are not hating that person they are hating the propaganda they've heard about that person's presumed beliefs. Get past the rhetoric and you'll find that same person you've known and loved through your life is still standing there before you.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 AM

6,286 posts, read 6,670,710 times
Quote:
I recently lost a new friend because I said something positive about Trump. The ironic thing is that the positive was about his support for Israel - and the friend is Jewish. She was so angry with me that when she dropped me off after 10 pm, she sped off before she saw I got in the door.

Apparently doesnít sound like a real friend, no big loss.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM

1,257 posts, read 285,755 times
Quote:

The last thing you need is a "friend" like that.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 AM

66,439 posts, read 33,745,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
My brother in law's nephew and his husband have continued to disown him. They were supportive when he came out 30 years ago, and took him in for a little while when he was a teenager because his mom was a drunk. It's pretty sad.
So... anyone who's lost a friend or relative because you voted for Trump or admitted you're conservative... have you patched things up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYUbkVWglc

Life is cruel and one day, everyone realizes they are on their own and it is up to them, to set their own destiny.
I don't have time in the day, to fool with people that just want to be violent, when they don't get their way.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 AM

5,967 posts, read 3,458,810 times
I wish Americans could regain the manners and etiquette that served us all very well for a couple hundred years and STOP DISCUSSING POLITICS so randomly and flippantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or