U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 AM

66,439 posts, read 33,745,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I wish Americans could regain the manners and etiquette that served us all very well for a couple hundred years and STOP DISCUSSING POLITICS.
Stop discussing the TRUTH! It is harmful and offending.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:58 AM

21,865 posts, read 21,703,455 times
All my family are on the same page politically. There are a few issues (abortion, gay rights) where we disagree but those are more religious related issues. I dont discuss those issues with them.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:09 AM

39,213 posts, read 20,334,087 times
I've learned that the liberals I know are so over the top emotional when it comes to politics that I don't discuss it with them. They have no interest in hearing another persons point of view anyway.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:10 AM

12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I recently lost a new friend because I said something positive about Trump. The ironic thing is that the positive was about his support for Israel - and the friend is Jewish. She was so angry with me that when she dropped me off after 10 pm, she sped off before she saw I got in the door.

Never heard from her again.
It's probably a good thing. Unstable people tend to take advantage of people around them and that one has anger issues. Dodged a friend-bullet.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:34 AM

36,741 posts, read 16,339,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
After the election I gave my left-leaning friends and family time (about 8 months) to get their crap together. I listened to their lamentations, I read their posts on FB, I bit my tongue, trying to be patient, waiting for them to regain composure. That didn't happen; they have only become worse. The unhinged emotionalism has been replaced with real anger and hostility.

People I thought I knew and who I considered intelligent and even-keeled / level headed have surprised me; I have been insulted and denigrated and my adult children have been told some pretty horrendous things from their liberal cousins.

Pretty much the last couple years have proven to me that liberalism is a horribly debilitating mental disorder.
That's what is going on with my wife's liberals relatives also. They even stopped speaking to her because she is a Trump supporter and pro-life. It's really sad when family has a history of attachment and memories for decades and because of political or social differences they toss them away like an old shoe.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 AM

22,873 posts, read 16,254,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's what is going on with my wife's liberals relatives also. They even stopped speaking to her because she is a Trump supporter and pro-life. It's really sad when family has a history of attachment and memories for decades and because of political or social differences they toss them away like an old shoe.
Why is it sad?

Liberals are enemies of the state, are they not?

At least thatís what I read on this forum.

Why should anyone care if those people are no longer in their lives?

Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM

12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
After the election I gave my left-leaning friends and family time (about 8 months) to get their crap together. I listened to their lamentations, I read their posts on FB, I bit my tongue, trying to be patient, waiting for them to regain composure. That didn't happen; they have only become worse. The unhinged emotionalism has been replaced with real anger and hostility.

People I thought I knew and who I considered intelligent and even-keeled / level headed have surprised me; I have been insulted and denigrated and my adult children have been told some pretty horrendous things from their liberal cousins.

Pretty much the last couple years have proven to me that liberalism is a horribly debilitating mental disorder.

They are weak minded and susceptible to propaganda.

A few of my old friends have "changed", I believe they are just going along with what they see as trendy/progressive and don't think much about why or any consequences. I just keep a polite distance and don't get into politics but they have to realize I'm not going to bail them out if they get in trouble, because I think they are playing with fire.
Current politics and culture have made many people quite arrogant and self-centered and I'm not going to engage.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 AM

4,069 posts, read 1,551,316 times
Except for one cousin who lives in the DC area, my family members are all super bright, and are, of course, Trump supporters. Although we don't agree on everything President Trump does, we agree that we are now, finally, after 8 long years of wandering in the wilderness, back on the right path.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 AM

22,699 posts, read 16,804,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But politics is linked to our identity, our ideas, what we believe. In a way it describes who we are. If we are hateful, if we are kind, if we are gullible, if we have decent values, so it does come first before family. If a person rabidly hates gay people, doesn't believe we should help the poor, approves of bullying and ridicule, well, that's a big part of who they are. How can they get along with a family member who is really touchy about politically correct words, thinks college should be free and everyone should get a free basic income, illegals should come before Americans...they're already miles apart. Their differences came first and they are who they are. They already can't be very friendly to each other, family or not. They would have to be extremely careful when they are together. Today's politics have made us stop and think about what we believe and probably have made us believe even more strongly and now we know who we are.

I don't know if I'm right but that's how it seems. We'd so focused on politics that it's shaping who we are. Then who we are is deciding whether or not we can even get along with our family. Somebody needs to come along and help us to find how much we are alike instead of always how much we are different.
How can they get along? The same way that I get along with some liberals. Some of those liberals are right here on this forum. One in particular is a person I really like. We do not agree on politics at. all! But I like her as a person, and the reason I like her as a person is because despite our politics, we have found common ground on another topic. We don't talk about politics when we talk to each other, we talk about the other common interest, and sometimes other ideas.

That is how you get along with people with different political viewpoints than your own. You realize that not everything is political, and you keep your conversations to the interests that you both share.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:14 AM

51,862 posts, read 41,758,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
It's sad that people will put politics before family. It tells you there was something wrong, to begin with, and politics is just the excuse to trigger the bad feelings.
^^^This.

If a family member and I have a disagreement on something like that we should be able to just say that we agree to disagree and not hate each other over it. I have friends and family all over the political spectrum and my own views don't even remotely fall into either parties platform given that I'm pretty much a policy person whose views are more or less social liberal and fiscal conservative in a general sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or