Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:15 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times

Advertisements

Families and friends on either side of the political spectrum who allow politics to come between them are doing it wrong. It says something really wrong about them. I live in South Carolina. Most people do not agree with me politically, but we don't let them come between us. I feel sorry for people that can't let things go

Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 AM

2,486 posts, read 824,657 times
Originally Posted by Originalist
It's sad that people will put politics before family. It tells you there was something wrong, to begin with, and politics is just the excuse to trigger the bad feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^This.

If a family member and I have a disagreement on something like that we should be able to just say that we agree to disagree and not hate each other over it. I have friends and family all over the political spectrum and my own views don't even remotely fall into either parties platform given that I'm pretty much a policy person whose views are more or less social liberal and fiscal conservative in a general sense.

I knew I like you! YOU sir are a Libertarian as am I.

Big on policy, less foreign entanglements, do what you will without doing harm to others (social liberal) and smaller more efficient government that stays the hell out of our way (fiscal conservative).

The one caveat that social liberals are missing is that this authoritarian totalitarian political correctness down to the microaggression nonsense is hurting EVERYONE! If these fools continue to tear this country apart over their pettiness I may rethink how socially liberal I will remain.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-14-2019 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted troll post

Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
As a non-Trump supporter, I actually gave up on a friend who is a HUGE non-Trump supporter. The problem is that Trump consumes his life. Every conversation became an obscenity filled and crass attack on Trump and every GOP voter, usually filled with misleading information from websites like Democratic Underground. You can actually see rage and crazy just take over, and the rants include things like wishing for natural disasters to strike red states to kill GOP voters because "thats what they get for being climate change deniers" according to him.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I haven't disowned anyone for voting for Trump, but I've found some supporters unwilling to talk about facts. My neighbor is one example. She became quite upset because of some facts I gave her. I'm sure she is still convinced that the Mueller report has fully exonerated Trump. She wouldn't talk to me for awhile, but we're on friendly terms now. I'm going to give her my highlighted copy of the Mueller report.

Another Trump voter Facebook friend had a meltdown over facts and unfriended me. She still see's my posts on her brother's feed. I never put anything political on my Facebook feed, but I will challenge the lies if I see the troll crap still spinning around Facebook. Her brother and I can talk, she's an emotional thinker.

Ah speak of the devil. One of our Trump friend supporters just showed up at the back door. I have to go give him a hug and make him a cup of tea. We love him See ya.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
My brother in law's nephew and his husband have continued to disown him. They were supportive when he came out 30 years ago, and took him in for a little while when he was a teenager because his mom was a drunk. It's pretty sad.
So... anyone who's lost a friend or relative because you voted for Trump or admitted you're conservative... have you patched things up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYUbkVWglc
Heck with the exception of our son are whole family supported him. so yes, they are speaking to us. BTW so is our son. And our foster daughter and her wife travel with us, talk to us every week faithfully and accept our opinion, but we do have an understanding we will not talk politics

Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
As a non-Trump supporter, I actually gave up on a friend who is a HUGE non-Trump supporter. The problem is that Trump consumes his life. Every conversation became an obscenity filled and crass attack on Trump and every GOP voter, usually filled with misleading information from websites like Democratic Underground. You can actually see rage and crazy just take over, and the rants include things like wishing for natural disasters to strike red states to kill GOP voters because "thats what they get for being climate change deniers" according to him.
Something similar happened to me back in the early 2000s. I had some friends that were so against everything liberal - every last thing, and that's all they talked about. It was annoying as hell. I would tell them that not all liberals are bat spit crazy, and that some of their ideas weren't actually all that bad - just needed a bit of tweaking, and that not everything revolves around fricken politics, couldn't they just turn it off for even 5 minutes?

They couldn't.

We are no longer friends. Not because of their politics, I agreed with most of their politics, but because, as with your friend, it consumed their lives. I like to debate politics, I like to keep up on it, as do most of us who come to this forum - because a lot of other people on different parts of City Data will talk about how insane and "scary" this forum is, which illustrates that they aren't as passionate about politics as us lunatics, and that's okay - but anything that becomes an obsession is not healthy, including politics.

When people stop enjoying life and start raving about something political, no matter what the topic, it's time to step away from those people - not because of politics, but because they have serious mental issues.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:26 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I can relate. I know many liberals that are like that. They can't seem to stop themselves with their daily rants about Trump. Everything triggers them if it's something on TV or just walking into a store or a family event they have to start trashing Trump and his supporters. They are so full of rage and hatred that's it's unbelievable.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:30 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Family and friends are mostly liberal, while we (we are a gay, interracial -caucasian/Asian married couple) are Trump supporters. No one has any issues with us being gay or being interracial. They hate us because we're Trump supporters. Supporting Trump has cost us friends and strained many relationships because liberals are too intolerant to accept us. They expect they can expound on their views all day, yet we are supposed to sit down and shut up.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:44 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Family and friends are mostly liberal, while we (we are a gay, interracial -caucasian/Asian married couple) are Trump supporters. No one has any issues with us being gay or being interracial. They hate us because we're Trump supporters. Supporting Trump has cost us friends and strained many relationships because liberals are too intolerant to accept us. They expect they can expound on their views all day, yet we are supposed to sit down and shut up.
Very true, black conservative get the same treatment as you two. Everyone outside their world view knows that they claim to be tolerant but only if you agree with them, if not, they'll try to force their beliefs down everyones throat and have no interest in understanding the other point of view. It's common knowledge they are not aware of.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:18 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
My brother in law's nephew and his husband have continued to disown him. They were supportive when he came out 30 years ago, and took him in for a little while when he was a teenager because his mom was a drunk. It's pretty sad.
So... anyone who's lost a friend or relative because you voted for Trump or admitted you're conservative... have you patched things up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYUbkVWglc
I am slightly conservative, sympathize with Trump supporters in some limited ways. If I were gay or transexual my relatives would have been fine with that. Even if I were a drug addict or bank robber, I think they could have accepted me. But if I ever hinted that I don't hate Trump they would have instantly disowned me. No second chance, just goodbye forever you are not one of us.

So I have not worn a MAGA hat in their presence, needless to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies