U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:25 AM

3,149 posts, read 3,083,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's what is going on with my wife's liberals relatives also. They even stopped speaking to her because she is a Trump supporter and pro-life. It's really sad when family has a history of attachment and memories for decades and because of political or social differences they toss them away like an old shoe.
Well put... and very tragic.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:38 AM

13,098 posts, read 4,469,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But politics is linked to our identity, our ideas, what we believe. In a way it describes who we are. If we are hateful, if we are kind, if we are gullible, if we have decent values, so it does come first before family. If a person rabidly hates gay people, doesn't believe we should help the poor, approves of bullying and ridicule, well, that's a big part of who they are. How can they get along with a family member who is really touchy about politically correct words, thinks college should be free and everyone should get a free basic income, illegals should come before Americans...they're already miles apart. Their differences came first and they are who they are. They already can't be very friendly to each other, family or not. They would have to be extremely careful when they are together. Today's politics have made us stop and think about what we believe and probably have made us believe even more strongly and now we know who we are.

I don't know if I'm right but that's how it seems. We'd so focused on politics that it's shaping who we are. Then who we are is deciding whether or not we can even get along with our family. Somebody needs to come along and help us to find how much we are alike instead of always how much we are different.
If politics comes before family for anyone then they are a rabid ideologue who is super opinionated and judges people. those asshats need to be shunned and ignored. That includes the PC crowd too, keep your opinions to yourself and keep your damn feelings in check and live and let live

Old 06-14-2019, 11:39 AM

256 posts, read 64,766 times
We donít discuss politics with people from different parties. If I am having a party and anyone starts to talk politics I immediately shut it down. I have discussed it with close friends with similar opinions. No sense losing friendships over the orange moron.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You would think that lifetime relationships would transcend political differences, but now days that is not really true. My family all assumes I am liberal like them, maybe just not as extreme as they are. It would be a big shock if they knew I agree with conservatives on a lot of things.

But many of my most passionate opinions are not addressed by either party, so that's what I am more likely to talk about anyway. For example, neither party seems to care much about things like genetic engineering, or the reckless application of untested science and technology.
No they don't and that's a huge problem. I also talk about those things and how dangerous and unethical they are.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We donít discuss politics with people from different parties. If I am having a party and anyone starts to talk politics I immediately shut it down. I have discussed it with close friends with similar opinions. No sense losing friendships over the orange moron.
lol, only talk to people with similar opinions? How close minded could one be. Besides anyone who likes to use terms like the Orange Moron aren't worthy of being a friend anyway, they are just opinionated haters.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 PM

256 posts, read 64,766 times
Debones, people are losing friends over this. I don’t think it’s worth it.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:04 PM

3,149 posts, read 3,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Something similar happened to me back in the early 2000s. I had some friends that were so against everything liberal - every last thing, and that's all they talked about. It was annoying as hell. I would tell them that not all liberals are bat spit crazy, and that some of their ideas weren't actually all that bad - just needed a bit of tweaking, and that not everything revolves around fricken politics, couldn't they just turn it off for even 5 minutes?

They couldn't.

We are no longer friends. Not because of their politics, I agreed with most of their politics, but because, as with your friend, it consumed their lives. I like to debate politics, I like to keep up on it, as do most of us who come to this forum - because a lot of other people on different parts of City Data will talk about how insane and "scary" this forum is, which illustrates that they aren't as passionate about politics as us lunatics, and that's okay - but anything that becomes an obsession is not healthy, including politics.

When people stop enjoying life and start raving about something political, no matter what the topic, it's time to step away from those people - not because of politics, but because they have serious mental issues.
You're so right!
Someone I know from years ago and I used to exchange interesting fun respectful, thoughtful emails about life, music and politics. Works in media, very intelligent and charming.
Fast forward 10 years later after barely being in touch, and I hardly recognize him. I don't know what the heck happened... well, maybe I do... I think social media CAN, (not always) be toxic. He's now a Facebook ranter and has created an echo chamber with a couple thousand "friends" of 90% Trump haters. He's like Robert Di Nero on steroids and I've seriously worried about his mental health on occasion.

On the other side of the spectrum, my older retired brother is a right wing ranter. I get on the phone with him and he gets so worked up I have to hold the phone away from my ear! However, he's been like that for ages, so I'm used to it.

Thing is, both of these people CAN, when they are CALM... make good arguments and make sense concerning their positions. But when they become emotional and get into tunnel vision mode, or in the case of my FB friend gets addicted to "likes" and collecting more and more "friends".... (He's FB friends with my FORMER MOTHER IN LAW who has about 7 FB friends! I didn't ask! Lol!) they become insufferable!

Thank goodness hubby and I DO have people in our lives who are from both sides of the spectrum who are still sane, but I stay off FB because it gets obnoxious in there.

Lately we've been watching a talk show on YouTube called the Rubin Report. Really interesting discussions with different characters from the progressive Bret Weinstein to religious conservative Ben Shapiro. Gotta have time for these discussions though, they're pretty long form, which we love because they are not the usual 2 minute soundbites you get on CNN etc.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:06 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,546,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
My brother in law's nephew and his husband have continued to disown him. They were supportive when he came out 30 years ago, and took him in for a little while when he was a teenager because his mom was a drunk. It's pretty sad.
So... anyone who's lost a friend or relative because you voted for Trump or admitted you're conservative... have you patched things up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYUbkVWglc

If you lose a friend/family member because of political reasons....then you don't have a friend or family member....extremely sad on those lefties that act like this...but what can we expect from a bunch of America haters...

Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM

11,392 posts, read 18,596,467 times
I almost always refuse to talk politics or religion with friends and family. Only one time on Facebook I started into it with my cousin who had made the usual we must ban "assault rifles" comment parroting the gun ban people but I could see she wasn't going to listen to reason or facts and the debate was going to spiral down hill so I cut it off.

A couple weeks later I went to the shooting range and posed with my friends AR-15 I got to shoot. .....lol. Funny thing is a mass amount of likes came from most people on facebook.

And as stated a couple time on this thread, some people get too bent out of shape and can get vindictive and I just don't need any hate or vindictive people in my life that I care about otherwise.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:06 PM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Family and friends are mostly liberal, while we (we are a gay, interracial -caucasian/Asian married couple) are Trump supporters. No one has any issues with us being gay or being interracial. They hate us because we're Trump supporters. Supporting Trump has cost us friends and strained many relationships because liberals are too intolerant to accept us. They expect they can expound on their views all day, yet we are supposed to sit down and shut up.
That is just too sad; to lose friends over politics unless the person is rude about their opinion is childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or