U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:17 PM

48,264 posts, read 45,539,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
yep, I agree with this.
Stupid individuals have always been there. And it isn't just that social media is exposing stupidity. Many people feel emboldened by it. Some people who feel like warriors on social media would have held it all in without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM

20,203 posts, read 11,189,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Im all for free speech, but nazis and white supremacist have no place in our society. The navy made the right call on this one. This man serves out government and he must uphold the constitution and every American. Last year a woman received dishonorable discharge after she made joking video with her boyfriend stating that they are going on a ni--er hunting party. Her job she was fired, but also she was a reservist in the airforce and the airforce kicked her out. Good luck finding a job with dishonorable discharge.
I doubt she got a dishonorable discharge. A dishonorable discharge is a penalty for felonies that also involve long prison sentences.

She would have gotten one of several types of "less-than-honorable" discharges, as this Marine did.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:21 PM

48,264 posts, read 45,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoiledthong View Post
white male, what do you expect
This kind of behavior isn't limited to White males.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 PM

22,360 posts, read 9,497,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
As a Marine he should know. Our Military defends the constitution, but aren't protected by much of it.
Freedom of speech is one of the first things we who served sacrificed when we took our oath. There are many freedoms we gave up while we served.
Something those who never served can't fathom.
Anyone spewing racist hate could, and probably would, be fired from their job.

How are Marines not "protected by much of it"?? What freedoms do Americans have that Marines do not?

Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 PM

20,203 posts, read 11,189,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He said that he came from a small town in Oklahoma and wasn't used to dealing with Blacks or other races of people". To me that was basically a cop out.
Even then, some people are just jerks. Some people aren't.

My daughter went to Reagan's alma mater Eureka College in Illinois. She had a classmate, a white guy from a town in Oklahoma so small he was actually the first person to go to college from there (on a football scholarship). He was pretty much Lil Abner through and through. First day in the cafeteria, he just picked up the entire pan of biscuits and took it with him.

Even though he'd never actually seen a black person in person before, when my daughter mentioned in conversation that her father was also from Oklahoma, he promptly decided they should be friends.

Some people are just jerks. Some people aren't.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM

33,375 posts, read 20,137,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Anyone spewing racist hate could, and probably would, be fired from their job.

How are Marines not "protected by much of it"?? What freedoms do Americans have that Marines do not?
I think you misunderstood what he said.

He is right that members of the military do face certain context-based restrictions on how they exercise that right.

For example, Article 88 of the UCMJ, 10 U.S.C. 888, makes it a crime for a commissioned military officer to use contemptuous words against the President and Congress, among others. The Department of Defense has also expanded this rule to include all military enlisted personnel (DOD Directive 1344.10). During the Monica Lewinsky scandal, two enlisted members of the military were formally reprimanded for using e-mails to mock President Clinton.

They cannot mock the president. example. You can. In another word, if they were active duty, they couldn't post on their facebook page, "Trump is the worst president and he is a man child." YOU can. They cannot.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,275,973 times
Quote:
I watched a documentary many years ago, possible from 2004. It was about life in the military. I think it was the Navy. There was a guy in there who was getting kicked out due to his racism. He basically said that he couldn't help it. He said that he came from a small town in Oklahoma and wasn't used to dealing with Blacks or other races of people". To me that was basically a cop out.
To paraphrase one of my drills..."Some of y'all ain't never seen a black person. Some of y'all ain't never seen a Hispanic person. And believe it or not, some of y'all ain't never seen a white person*. Well, don't matter none, cuz you're all GREEN now!"

*---we had a number of women directly from Puerto Rico in my basic training unit, he was referring them them possibly never having seen whites before.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 PM

9,404 posts, read 7,212,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
See ya. Donít let the doorknob hit ya where the lawd split ya!

Per the link, looks like the Corps is having some major issues. Better clean it up.
7 of 220,000. 3 thousandths of 1%.

but yes, all must be dealt with and dismissed dishonorably.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM

200 posts, read 33,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well given that most in uniform, vote republican, I am certain the left would love to take the internet away from them .
All they need is "3 hots and a cot". It's not sleep away camp. Write letters if they want to communicate with family.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 6,204,892 times
Quote:
I watched a documentary many years ago, possible from 2004. It was about life in the military. I think it was the Navy. There was a guy in there who was getting kicked out due to his racism. He basically said that he couldn't help it. He said that he came from a small town in Oklahoma and wasn't used to dealing with Blacks or other races of people". To me that was basically a cop out.
Just to be clear. The current guy in question is from Alabama according to the article posted in the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or