Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:26 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Did she cross the line. if it were your child would you have done the same.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ng/1301245001/
"Rathburn said she regrets her actions but remains concerned about bullying for her son and other children, and she said she's disappointed in the response she's gotten from the Greenville County school district."

A parent has every right to protect their children.

If the school admin was aware, and it looks like they did, and did NOTHING what other recourse did she have?

"Rathburn said she was a "class mom" so people at the school knew her from bringing in supplies for parties and events."

So, how is that "sneaking in"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,386,331 times
She should not have done it in front of witnesses.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
She should not have done it in front of witnesses.
Or by sharing the video to Facebook

But actually she should not have done it at all. She did not accomplish anything and probably embaraassed her kid greatly.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,234,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If the school admin was aware, and it looks like they did, and did NOTHING what other recourse did she have?
Um, how about not berate a classroom of little kids?

She was a class mom: she could have volunteered more so that she was around to witness/protect her child.

She could have escalated it: talked to the teacher, the principal, the superintendent, counselor, etc.

She could have supported the anti-bullying campaign more vigorously.

Honestly, she didn't even know which kid she was looking for. My kids would out the jerk in no time! Plus, kids do mean, stupid things, but it doesn't always rise to the level of bullying, imo. And it never warrants a parent threatening young kids.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:34 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Then people wonder why kids are so poorly mannered and behaved they're mimicking the dumb ass adults around them.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
"Rathburn said she regrets her actions but remains concerned about bullying for her son and other children, and she said she's disappointed in the response she's gotten from the Greenville County school district."

A parent has every right to protect their children.

"Rathburn said she was a "class mom" so people at the school knew her from bringing in supplies for parties and events."

Yelling at a group of kids who may or may not have known anything about her son's experiences is about the least effective recourse I can think of. What good could that do?

Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Quote:

By not signing in for one. She knew she was not there to be a "a class mom" that day

Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Um, how about not berate a classroom of little kids?

She was a class mom: she could have volunteered more so that she was around to witness/protect her child.

She could have escalated it: talked to the teacher, the principal, the superintendent, counselor, etc.

She could have supported the anti-bullying campaign more vigorously.

Honestly, she didn't even know which kid she was looking for. My kids would out the jerk in no time! Plus, kids do mean, stupid things, but it doesn't always rise to the level of bullying, imo. And it never warrants a parent threatening young kids.
"Um, how about not berate a classroom of little kids?"

But it is OK to ALLOW these SAME "little kids" to continue bullying EVEN after REPEATED complaints!

IMO, they SHOULD be called out in FRONT of EVERYBODY to instill that type of behavior is NOT accepted.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
When I saw the title of the thread, I suspected there was more to the story than the OP alluded to. I was right of course. She trespassed on school property. I appreciate the fact that she is apologizing now, but she basically bullied her son's bullies. Where is the lesson in that?
IMO the best way to get bullies to stop is to bully them back.

However, I don't understand why she did all that. It was unnecessary. There are other ways to bully a bully back even IMO. All the bully conversations in the media IMO are kind of odd considering that we basically have told children that they cannot handle their own problems with regulations/rules in schools that proclaim to be "anti-bully." If a kid bullied me when I was a kid, I had permission to beat their a$$. If I could not, I had friends, cousins, and siblings who'd do it for me. I was a very smart kid in the inner city and was never bullied because of my deep network.

Cyber bullying is different IMO from in person bullying today but in general for 9 year olds, a good butt kicking of the bully by the kid or another kid would have gotten it to stop. I don't think adults should get into what I consider "kid mess" and we should allow kids to handle their issues without much adult interference.

My oldest was getting "bullied" once when he was young in 1st grade. I told him to punch the boy in the stomach as hard as he could and try to make the kid throw up because the after school employees were ignoring both my son and my complaints about the bullying. My son punched the kid and made him throw up and the boy stopped bothering him and they even became friends later on.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:29 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
As a Foster-parent I used to walk our foster-children to the school bus stop every morning. At that bus stop there was a group of black children each morning that call the white children racist names ['honky, cracker, whitey, etc']. I filed a complaint to the school principal, and I was chewed out for it.

"Racism is what white people do. Blacks can not be racist. Only Whites can be racist and all Whites are racists. Black children can call White children any name they want and it can never be racist."

I would have been better served by videoing the behavior and publishing that video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies