U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,329 posts, read 4,451,264 times
Reputation: 8839

Advertisements

I don't know if Tim Allen is racist. But he's an absolute moron if he actually said in an interview he does not understand why he can't say the N word. I don't understand why old white men feel like they should say the word at all.

 
Old 06-12-2019, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Bronx
16,216 posts, read 18,684,327 times
Reputation: 8163
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I *think* this is the tweet.

For context, the interviewer is black and asked them a question about strategy in the game of Spades to test if they have a "black card" (meaning if they're culturally in-tuned with the black community).

Tim Allen didn't specifically say anything that was racist, but he did look *VERY* uncomfortable and frustrated about the discussion (supposedly he doesn't play Spades). He also kept making a bunch of sarcastic remarks in an attempt to dismiss the interviewer's question and change the subject. This is compared to Tom Hanks who was actively engaging in the interviewer's question and seemed to enjoy it for the light-hearted fun it was intended to be.

For further context, Spades is a card game that's known to be most popular amongst black people.

https://twitter.com/crissles/status/...949283844?s=19
I don't know how to play spades either myself. The game spades is very popular amongst black folks especially at black bbqs.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM
 
6,574 posts, read 1,352,342 times
Reputation: 16645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't know if Tim Allen is racist. But he's an absolute moron if he actually said in an interview he does not understand why he can't say the N word. I don't understand why old white men feel like they should say the word at all.
This was (about) the full quote according to a link upthread, and I disagree with Allen completely, btw.

"If I have no intent, if I show no intent, if I clearly am not a racist, then how can 'nig**r' [spelled out] be bad coming out of my mouth?" [adding that] "[the phrase] the 'n-word' is worse to me than 'nig**r.[spelled out]"

https://twitter.com/JoelakaMaG/statu...his-morning%2F
 
Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 AM
 
5,936 posts, read 5,433,983 times
Reputation: 10587
Stop with the Twitter controversies. LOL

I saw this this morning.

People were making fun of him because he was so uncomfortable in the video... because Twitter. Twitter mocks everyone all the time for any petty reason. That's why it exists. "No invite to the cookout" jokes abounded. It was kinda funny.

Some people pointed out he had an iffy history on race relations which opened up a whole new area of mocking, some "oh yeah I forgot he's a racist" comments, and a bit of a discussion along the lines of "Who cares? It's Tim Allen." LOL

Of course a couple of radical types took it all the way there but for the most part, it was just jokes because spades, bid whist, Tim Allen, and Woody vs Buzz isn't that important in the long run.

Twitter, and whats referred to as "Back Twitter" in particular, is really a running commentary on the Black Pop Culture topic of the day, and an excuse to clown around on the internet. Yesterday there was a running meme fest about the recently announced pregnancy of one of the rappers in City Girls. Sometimes discussions get serious and when it does, you will know. You won't click on the thread and see a bunch of jokes.

Right leaning outlets really need to stop taking Black Twitter in particular super seriously.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:04 PM
 
4,489 posts, read 882,413 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't know if Tim Allen is racist. But he's an absolute moron if he actually said in an interview he does not understand why he can't say the N word. I don't understand why old white men feel like they should say the word at all.
By the same logic, why do some Black people feel like they should say that word?
 
Old 06-12-2019, 03:41 PM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
8,133 posts, read 5,817,001 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
They're trying to pull a Roseanne on him and get his TV show cancelled.
Who is? Roseanne was a popular and long running show. Only conservatives have probably heard of this show Tim Allen is on or even watched it. If anything, most people (liberal and conservative) know that he is a former prisoner.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM
 
Location: USA
17,731 posts, read 8,863,537 times
Reputation: 13252
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Who is? Roseanne was a popular and long running show. Only conservatives have probably heard of this show Tim Allen is on or even watched it. If anything, most people (liberal and conservative) know that he is a former prisoner.
His first series, "Home Improvement" ran for nine season. His current series "Last Man Standing" has run for eight so far, and is still on. How many other comedians have had two long standing series and a movie career as well? You can count them on one hand if that. It is a popular show as both liberal and conservative views are articulated. You just don't like him because he is one of the few conservatives in Hollywood, and you are jealous.

So, he did two years for drug possession. So what? He certainly turned his life around.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 14 days ago)
 
7,356 posts, read 2,930,693 times
Reputation: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I was taught Spades by a group of black strangers (to me) at a little riverside bar in Asheville, NC. What a great game. Thanks for including this little white girl in your game.
You’re ahead of me.

I never learned Spades, even though all my college pals played it. (I’m black, and I went to an HBCU.) I think my black card was revoked years ago; I’m not sure.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 14 days ago)
 
7,356 posts, read 2,930,693 times
Reputation: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Who is? Roseanne was a popular and long running show. Only conservatives have probably heard of this show Tim Allen is on or even watched it. If anything, most people (liberal and conservative) know that he is a former prisoner.
Home Improvement?? It was a very popular show. Iím a liberal black female Gen Xer, and I watched it regularly while growing up.
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 14 days ago)
 
7,356 posts, read 2,930,693 times
Reputation: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
By the same logic, why do some Black people feel like they should say that word?
You should ask the black people you encounter who feel like they should say the n-word. I donít know any who feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top