U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 AM

2,280 posts, read 619,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Youíre reacting this strongly over a difference of opinion but Iím the snowflake here? HA!
Presenting my opinion does not mean I am "reacting strongly". And yes, you and those like you who are just, oh so upset that the women had fun, are certainly the snowflakes here. This isn't a tourney where everyone gets a trophy, or everyone deserves something. Don't like them running up the score and celebrating? Then they should have stopped them.

Quote:
After a 5-7 point spread that late in a game itís common to switch out player positions, try new moves in development, etc. I realize itís early WC competition, but it was a total runaway, and the game could have been completed with a bit more decorum. I hope my opinion doesnít present you with yet another case of the vapors.
Pretty sure you aren't doing those thing in the World Cup. Your strategies and player development, at this point, is going to be what it already is. It's like saying a baseball team that is up 12 in the 9th inning of a playoff game should put in the shortstop to pitch.

Quote:
I hope my opinion doesnít present you with yet another case of the vapors.
Don't flatter yourself, hon. You, like all other random internet posters, are nothing more than a blip.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 AM

52,217 posts, read 42,008,940 times
The most interesting thing to me in all of this is what the landscape will look like for these sporting events in 20 years with trans playing on the squads. Or if they'll be kept out by international vote....or stringent limits put on them etc. etc. etc.

Maybe the whole topic is overblown.

Frankly, I just think that with national prestige, college scholarships worth 250k or more and other cash incentives that there is a huge incentive for essentially a "trans player" arms race if you will which means coaching non-trans to identify as such etc.

I don't mean this as anti-trans or anything, I write this from the point of view of someone that has seen Olympic, college, international and professional sports cheating reach ridiculous levels at times over my life and this would be just one more in a long line of such scams. (Although there would certainly be some legitimate trans athletes).

Old 06-13-2019, 01:32 PM

9,828 posts, read 2,722,555 times
Alex Morgan is much nicer.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:57 PM

35,954 posts, read 10,664,868 times
LMAO As if Trump cares:

What A Jerk: US Women's soccer star keeps promise to ignore national anthem as an 'f-you' to President Trump-screenshot_2019-06-16-23-52-08

Old 06-16-2019, 10:32 PM

2,810 posts, read 4,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Yeah, she should ride the bench. You can hate the president all you want, that is no reason to disrespect your country.
Regardless of who the POTUS is, you are representing your country. I find her actions in poor sportsmanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Like Kap, this is a WORKPLACE CONDUCT issue not a Free Speech issue. She is representing the U.S. She is free to protest anywhere, but I guess the people that run the soccer team are also Far Left so won't require, nor enforce a certain level of conduct and respect for whom she is REPRESENTING.
This is where I am on this. She is representing the US. She should have been told acting disrespectful toward the country she lives is is not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
LGBTQ?

What has Trump done since the transgender ban?

And its not like banning them from the military is equivalent of drafting them.
Stop. If you understood that troops have to be ready to deploy at a drop of a hat, then one would understand the reasoning. Oh wait...my husband has been sent to trainings, classes and meeting in literally a couple of days notice. I joke around about the airport being my home away from home for a reason.

I stopped here. I have witnessed this with my sons soccer team and those he has played against. They take mercy and turn it into a learning, training session. It's pretty damn amazing seeing it as a parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Since when is it required to sing the national anthem? First it was you have to stand, now itís you have to sing. Iíll make sure to tell our NSIs they are unpatriotic since they donít sing.
I don't care if someone sings the national anthem. I know I can't make it through without crying. Just stand out of respect for not only our country, but for those who died and those who defend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I had to look all of this stuff up because I had no idea what 9 pages of chatter was about. I feel stupider for doing so! Who the heck cares about any of this? It's nonsense and non news.
I just wish Americans would be proud just to be Americans. Not who the POTUS is but take pride in your country and freedoms that you have. I mean people get killed for this soccer players sexuality in other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
There will be payback for that. Not well taken by the international football community.

I played soccer through college and coached kids until age 45. There is an unwritten rule in soccer about running up the score that transcends that notion in American sports.
I stopped here. I have witnessed this with my sons soccer team and those he has played against. They end up turning it into a learning, training session. It's pretty damn amazing seeing it as a parent.

I can say between watching girls and boys soccer, the girls are much more assertive than boys soccer. Don't get me wrong, I have seen boys get into fights on the field because the other soccer player would not keep his hands off of him. Some even booted from the soccer season for it. On the other side, no matter how they played on the field, many of them are proud of their schools and have great sportsmanship. My son was a goalie for much of this soccer season. Many from the other team told him that he was good and that he has the heart for it. Also good game.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 PM

5,006 posts, read 11,100,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
There will be payback for that. Not well taken by the international football community.

I played soccer through college and coached kids until age 45. There is an unwritten rule in soccer about running up the score that transcends that notion in American sports.

When one has clearly defeated a team, there is no point in humiliating them. You simply re-arrange your offense and defense as well as change personnel to allow the opponent to get a few goals and stop the bleeding. We would have kids practice certain moves for the rest of the game to get experience exercising these "one on one" move in real time and setting up plays but not executing them. It's cool to see every kid on the field try a double scissors and execute it properly.

I ALWAYS put our worst players in striker forward positions. Why? A lot of garbage passes in front of the goal from skilled crosses or set ups by the mid-fielders, resulting in certain scoring opportunities. Anyone could punch such set ups into the goal. By scoring, it builds the confidence of these kids and actually removes them from the area in which they are traditionally placed (fullbacks) in which they can cause more damage to the team and never get the opportunity to score.

I have had kids come to me as young adults and tell me they never had so much fun in a sport as playing soccer on my team. Sports are about building confidence and trying to transfer some life lessons from the field to daily life. Winning (and losing) can be very instructive, but humiliation is rarely beneficial.

Depending on the age of the team, I would also forfeit games in which there was a significant rain. I liked playing in the rain in college and high school, as you didn't get that hot and it put the defense at an advantage. But there is no point in having kids under age 13 go out and freeze their asses off and be miserable just for a game. Oddly, many parents would be upset with me, as it tarnished the team's "record"! Everyone thinks their kid will play in college and missing that one game will make all the difference. I got news for you- your kid is either fast, or they aren't. That genetic issue is the basis for a good player- you either have it or you don't. When you see 4.6 forty speed blow by you, suddenly you understand.
There will be no "payback" for running up the score....what a load of nonsense...

Thailand certainly can't do anything about it and no other team that the US plays will be "outraged" by the result...

Where was all the hand wringing when Germany beat Brazil 7-1 in the World Cup Mens Semi Final??

Arguably a WORSE beat down considering the quality of the Brazil side and the fact that they were the host country and this wasn't a group stage contest...

I seem to recall the MALE German players celebrating every one of their goals....when does it become "unseemly" to celebrate a goal and who is the arbiter of this unwritten rule of decorum??

The rest of your post is rubbish.....

These are GROWN women playing in a World Cup tournament where goal differential matters....

These aren't peewee soccer players looking forward to orange slices after the game...

Re arrange your personnel and change personnel to ALLOW A FEW GOALS TO BE SCORED AGAINST your team???

Seriously....that is your suggestion for a World Cup tournament where goal differential can make the difference between advancing and going home...

Who cares what your U12 players liked and disliked....apples and oranges in comparison to professional athletes playing at the highest level at a World Cup.

I happen to be a New England Patriots fan, my team has been accused of running up the score on opponents on more than a few occasions. My response and the team and coaches response has always been if you don't like it then do something about it....get better....try playing some defense....etc.

Having played soccer myself and having had 2 daughters play Division 1 College Soccer, I think the most RESPECTFUL way for any team to play a game is to play hard right to the final whistle...

Would much rather have to fight and claw to the end against a superior opponent that is still trying to score right to the end even in a blowout rather than see the other team just pass the ball around or use non dominant foot or other nonsense....THAT is disrespectful to the other team....

Old 06-16-2019, 11:59 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,034,716 times
What does Trump have to do with the anthem? I'm confused.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 AM

2,810 posts, read 4,529,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think she is just butt hurt on Trump being POTUS.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:50 AM

15,456 posts, read 5,293,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
He doesn't sing it either.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:14 PM

6,505 posts, read 3,587,632 times
I’ve watched every game so far, as I’m home recovering from knee replacement, and I’ve noticed something during these games that I find rather disappointing.

Watching the Nigerian team today, they were walking through the tunnel and all of them fell into a lovely dance along with an African chant that was just a delight to watch. All smiles, truly proud and happy to be there. It was a great moment.

And then you see the Western (US, Canada, England, Australia) teams, and the difference is startling. Slumped, frowny, pouty-faced women walking with mostly heads down, very few smiles. Bad body language. WTF is wrong with them all? And then it hit me:

This is evidence of the decadence in which us Westerners live. Our lives are so easy, pampered, and mostly carefree that we literally invent crap to be mad about. While people from third-world countries participate with pure joy and happiness in an event such as World Cup, Westerners want to avoid the anthem, make political statements, pout on the field, and find trivial crap to be angry about.

It’s a shame to witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or