Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM

56,954 posts, read 25,922,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
Forget the team's political beliefs, their late goal celebrations yesterday were the epitome of bad sportsmanship. I'm fine with running up the score but the over-the-top celebrations were completely uncalled for. Based on most news reports this morning, most American agree.
Yes that was over the top, at some point its like celebrating clubbing a Harp Seal.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,471,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

The BBC are actually trying their best to put games on and try and interest people in the Woman's World Cup, but I can't say I am that interested.

Perhaps if we get through to the final, I might be more interested.

As for the US, well done on 13 - 0 against Thailand, although I didn't realise Thailand had a team.

America is now going to have to apologise to the people of Thailand for this terrible humilation.
I always enjoy Women’s World Cup more then Men’s. Partly I’m sure because I’m a soccer-playing female, but also due to the drama and rivalries among the women.

A 13-0 score is nothing to be overly proud of. It’s the sign of poor coaching in my opinion, to make sending a message out more important than good, clean play.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:01 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,471,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes that was over the top, at some point its like celebrating clubbing a Harp Seal.
Exactly!

I’m proud to see so many of my Fellow Americans rightfully calling out our own team for poor sportsmanship.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,780,739 times
She is intentionally being disrespectful to draw attention to herself and she is using a popular cause as cover for her bad behavior....

Old 06-12-2019, 09:07 AM

29,030 posts, read 14,379,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You are allowed 3 substitutions max, and they used all three. If they could have cleared their bench, they would have, but 3 is all you get.

My issue is, as Morgan pointed out today, why are you allowed to celebrate your athletic life's greatest achievement if it is the first few goals, but not the last few? What's the difference besides other people's perception of the score, in a game where the number of goals you score MATTERS?

Also, nobody can really criticize the goal total BECAUSE the differential is actually important. That number could be a tie breaker for seeding, and who is to say Sweden could't put a 10-12 goal slapdown on Thailand? The goal is to win the World Cup, and goal differential matters in the tournament. Therefore, teams are encouraged to run up the score if they can, because that is part of the overall path to victory.

It used to be the British who led the world in feeling guilty for everything, but man oh man do Americans love to apologize if we do anything too well. So stupid.

The way I see it, if you are winning , no matter how close or how far, victory is victory. There is nothing wrong with the other team getting pummeled. They will try harder the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
When victory is assured, they pull the starters in order to avoid unnecessary injuries, and to give the back-ups some playing time. It is common in many sports, and there is nothing wrong, or dumb about it.

Okay, I get it. And if this is really the case, and not to give the losing team a better chance, then I agree with you.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 AM

12,262 posts, read 6,425,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
unattractive and illogical.
I would call it lyrically dumb and nearly impossible to sing. Most people don`t know the words.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 AM

13,817 posts, read 5,532,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
When victory is assured, they pull the starters in order to avoid unnecessary injuries, and to give the back-ups some playing time. It is common in many sports, and there is nothing wrong, or dumb about it.
And they did, right up to the 3 player limit they are allowed. You cannot clear your bench in World Cup soccer because you are only allowed limited substitutions.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,444,386 times
Well, she certainly seemed happy to wipe the floor with some other country like a typical American.

If I were her I'd start hating all LGBTQ's because of how she represented them. Glad I'm not her.

Some people lack tact and take it public. Just don't watch her and you'll feel better, she just lacks the ability to represent well, just like our president. Funny how you hate people who are the most like you. If she only knew how similar she is to the man she hates.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM

12,309 posts, read 8,035,517 times
There are two different game issues, piling on the score which it seems tournament rules want teams to do. More scoring more fans I guess. the other issue the celebrations as the superior athletes piles and gloats on rather than act as the assassin who only piles on because that is the job.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 AM

56,954 posts, read 25,922,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Exactly!

I’m proud to see so many of my Fellow Americans rightfully calling out our own team for poor sportsmanship.
I am a big fan of the women's team but this was so over the top, celebrating the 10th goal like they won the world cup. I don't recall Germany celebrating like this when they beat Brazil 7-1 in the world cup a few years ago. If they happen to lose along the way this will come back to haunt them,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.