Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 AM

77,920 posts, read 60,076,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Because most Americans haven't heard Alex Morgan's common sense reply to that criticism. Every single player on that team has worked for and dreamed of being where they are and maybe scoring a World Cup goal...for their entire life. It is the single greatest achievement their chosen sport has, whether it is the first goal in the game or the 13th.

Goal differential MATTERS. So every goal, in addition to being a magical moment for the player scoring it, is actually advancing their cause in the tournament itself. If the world wants to lament the slapdown Thailand took yesterday, then the world should take Julie Fowdy's advice and instead of criticizing America for being great at the women's game, how about criticize nations who don't put as much support behind their women that US, France, Sweden, Holland, etc do? We sue as hell seem to be cool with clowning the men's team for not being able to hang on the world Cup level, but we clown the women now for kicking too much arse?

Alex Morgan pointed out that the US women's team is damned if they do, damned if they don't. On what they stand for or don't, what they say or don't, what they do or don't, etc. Problems the men never seem to have to deal with.

Also, nobody would dare criticize if the team we slapped down 13-0 was more traditionally great, like France, Sweden, Brazil, etc and they were just having their worst day ever on our best day ever. Nobody would say a freaking thing. And in the men's game, for sure nobody would say a freaking thing.

And here's Rapinoe, doing her free speech thing as an individual, and the commentary being shared with the team because 13-0 and poor Thailand. How did the best players in the world suddenly become villains because they played and acted like the best players in the world? One player kneeling for the US anthem or one celebration after the wrong number goal? Really?

Appreciate them for how great they are, and stop with the sanctimony and righteous indignation.
1) They're held to a different standard than the men because as you have noted, the men are the underdog...not the top dog.

2) Go refresh your memory on all the hate\criticism the US mens basketball team has taken over the years even going back to the original "Dream team" for things like running up the score etc.

3) As for the kneeling thing, again do you think Collin Kapernick didn't get criticized when he did it?

Basically, the womens team is getting treated EXACTLY like male teams and athletes have been treated in the past with second guessing, criticisms and so forth.

I find it extremely insulting that when facing the same heat that top sports teams and male athletes face that some of them and their supporters suddenly feel they deserve some special treatment because of their gender.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,477,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
For being such a ruthless dictator (or so I keep hearing)....Trump sure has a lot of extremely vocal detractors that go about their lives without any sort of government crackdown on them.

Otherwise I really don't care that much, she clearly has a right to her views.
Not to mention how obedient and compliant they are too!!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM

15,483 posts, read 10,409,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
That disrespectful b$tch should be kicked off the team

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments
I don't necessarily care about what she does. However, when you are smearing somebody, don't celebrate after each goal like it's a tie breaker. We are a huge soccer family and my kids are embarrassed and so am I.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:01 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,568,970 times
Snowflakery over the women's destruction yesterday. I would have never thunk it. I only wish the men's team had half the heart of the women's team.

Every goal matters in group play. Let them celebrate.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 AM

299 posts, read 254,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I don't necessarily care about what she does. However, when you are smearing somebody, don't celebrate after each goal like it's a tie breaker. We are a huge soccer family and my kids are embarrassed and so am I.
I have a bigger problem with them scoring 13 goals (including six in the last 20 minutes) than I do with the celebrations. Don't forget, four players scored their first World Cup goals yesterday and achieved what was probably their life long dream by doing so. I don't think it's realistic to expect them not to celebrate an achievement like that even though the game was long since out of hand.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:11 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,515,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I would call it lyrically dumb and nearly impossible to sing. Most people don`t know the words.
Totally untrue. The only person who doesn't know the words is the president.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,745,048 times
Quote:

Another mean-spirited member of the alphabet community...

It says everything about her, and nothing about Trump.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:18 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,931,187 times
folks, thanks for the recap.
i would rather read everyone's
comments than endure any
of the Women's Soccer games.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:

Damn First Amendment, eh?

Trump got the respect he's earned, NONE!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Another mean-spirited member of the alphabet community...

It says everything about her, and nothing about Trump.

Mean-spirited says everything about Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.