U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2019, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
7,009 posts, read 4,009,886 times
Reputation: 13065

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Perhaps because those veteran's don't want to see the country they fought for and could have given their life for taken over by leftists.
My Dad was a Veteran, who fought for his country, and risked his life. He was a Democrat.
I have Uncles, Cousins, Ancestors who were Democrats who also fought and laid their life on the line for America...
going all the way to Revolutionary War.

It's vile to try to label half of your own Country, and be so judgemental of them, just because they have a different opinion than your own...or because they belong to a different political party.
You can't have a Democracy is you only have one Political party.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
By and large, Vets love their country. Love of country is not something most associate with the Left.
How arrogant and rude! I fully love and support my country. Always have. You or your group does not have a monopoly on that, even though you think you do! You are talking about the other half of America! Many have fought and died or risked all for their country. My Dad was one who fought, he was a Democrat. I can tell you, you would have never met someone so Patriotic in your life, if you had met him!
Both sides love their country, and wants what they feel would be best for the country.

It's Unpatriotic and its just ignorance if you try to dismiss half of the country as being Unpatriotic, because they disagree with you on some political issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
These types of quotes let me know just how unprepared we are election interference from any country. Some of us are so narrow minded that we will believe anything negative about a group we don’t like.

Oh well. By the time we figure out our Chinese, Russian overloaded have tricked us with stupid twitter and Facebook post, it will be far too late to fix it.
Exactly. Some of the Trump supporters even had those awful T-shirts that said "I'd Rather be a Russian than a Democrat."
I sometime wonder if some of them even care that Russia try to influence our election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
My husband and I talk about it once in a while and we don't get it either. Plus the obsession w/ badmouthing McCain. And, the Gold Star father. Yes, vets have different outlooks on things, but this Trump w/ his hx of blatantly disrespecting them is over the top. Plus, allying w/ Russian and NKorean dictators. How does it get worse?
Thank you for your service.
I can't imagine anyone being so Disrespectful to Veterans than Trump. It does not get any worse than that.
It just doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
7,009 posts, read 4,009,886 times
Reputation: 13065
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Thank you for your service, keninaz.

I agree with you. Trump always claims to be so pro military and to love the troops. But when America came calling for Donald Trump to serve his country proudly, he had his daddy buy him out of having to serve by having a doctor write Donald a phony waiver for "bone spurs" in his feet. Disgrace.

There's nothing else to discuss, there's no "but Trump did THIS for the troops." The conversation stops there. Trump had his rich father buy him out of having to serve his country during Vietnam. PERIOD. Trump is a coward.

That's probably why Trump hated John McCain so much. He was a decorated war hero, respected by ALL, both dems and repubs. Hell, they named a warship after McCain. Trump wants that valor. He wants that praise and worship SO BADLY....but he didn't earn it, because he's a yellow-bellied wimp.
Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Once again Donald Trump waves his magic wand and convinces so many gullible people that he actually represents the little guy including the vets. He represents the Trump family crime syndicate and no one else. One of the greatest con jobs in American political history.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:01 PM
 
1,616 posts, read 415,250 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I will never understand why..."

There are a LOT of things you will NEVER understand!

"First of all Daddy bought him a "bye" during Vietnam for bone spurs so he could not serve.". Prove it.

Many vets supported bill clinton even though through connections had HIS draft number moved to the bottom of the list.

"Neither did I, but I was drafted and served my time plus some." I did 2 TOURS in Nam and I support him. Most of the vets I know in the American Legion and VFW support him.

Looks like it is YOU who are in the minority.
Your statement about Clinton is impossible. Your draft number is based on your birthday. The number is drawn randomly and shown live on all the networks. I remember watching at the time.

https://youtu.be/-p5X1FjyD_g

Seems like someone who was drafted at the time would know how it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 26 days ago)
 
8,733 posts, read 10,859,792 times
Reputation: 12781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
My Dad was a Veteran, who fought for his country, and risked his life. He was a Democrat.
I have Uncles, Cousins, Ancestors who were Democrats who also fought and laid their life on the line for America...
going all the way to Revolutionary War.

It's vile to try to label half of your own Country, and be so judgemental of them, just because they have a different opinion than your own...or because they belong to a different political party.
You can't have a Democracy is you only have one Political party.



How arrogant and rude! I fully love and support my country. Always have. You or your group does not have a monopoly on that, even though you think you do! You are talking about the other half of America! Many have fought and died or risked all for their country. My Dad was one who fought, he was a Democrat. I can tell you, you would have never met someone so Patriotic in your life, if you had met him!
Both sides love their country, and wants what they feel would be best for the country.

It's Unpatriotic and its just ignorance if you try to dismiss half of the country as being Unpatriotic, because they disagree with you on some political issues.


Exactly. Some of the Trump supporters even had those awful T-shirts that said "I'd Rather be a Russian than a Democrat."
I sometime wonder if some of them even care that Russia try to influence our election.


I can't imagine anyone being so Disrespectful to Veterans than Trump. It does not get any worse than that.
It just doesn't.
And, he won't even hide it. And, any vet has more courage in his or her little finger compared to what Trump has in his whole body. T is a coward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM
 
130 posts, read 44,852 times
Reputation: 65
I'm not a veteran myself but have two close relatives who are/were (one passed away). The remaining veteran voted for Trump mainly to vote against most of the DNC policies. Some of the veterans hate the Left just as much as the OP hates Trump. The answer to his question could be as simple as that. And probably is.

People have very strong opinions on both sides of the isle.

I mentioned before that everyone I know with the exception of one person voted against Hillary because they just couldn't stand her and they're against a number of ideas pushed by the Left. It's not because they particularly like Trump. That push/pull is still going to exist in the next election. You can count on it. The DNC can win, but they're going to need the right candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,371 posts, read 20,146,331 times
Reputation: 13040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
My husband and I talk about it once in a while and we don't get it either. Plus the obsession w/ badmouthing McCain. And, the Gold Star father. Yes, vets have different outlooks on things, but this Trump w/ his hx of blatantly disrespecting them is over the top. Plus, allying w/ Russian and NKorean dictators. How does it get worse?
Thank you for your service.
well, Captain Khan’s family was a slightly “dirty trick” by the Clinton campaign in that all one can do is to acknowledge their grief, state that your views don’t align with what they are saying and gently move forward without being seen to attack them. One needs to be careful not call them “liars” and even more careful not impugn the character of their deceased war hero son.

The so called "attacking the gold star father" showed that Trump was not a savvy politician, he acted like a man child many times. I don't think anybody need to defend him on that, however, The fact is that Trump in spite of his ill-informed and annoying rhetoric has neither killed, nor harmed any innocent Muslim in any way.

by the way, I lost TWO boyfriends and their parents are also Gold star parents. NO ONE would even know their or their sons' names. There are many families just like them. I think asking somebody, "What have you sacrificed, you have lost no one." is an emotional talk, not a rational one. It showed a sense of entitlement. It is also a question to back somebody in the corner, no matter how you respond, unless you are also a gold star family,there is no good response. Trump should have known better.


General Kelly is also a Gold star father, never forget about that. He himself served in the Marine Corps pretty much his whole life. He also lost a son in combat. Media was not very gentle with him. Look the treatments that he received from his political opponents. (saying it is a disgrace for him to wear the uniform.) The treatment he received is way worse in my opinion, way way worse.

I am not saying two wrongs make one right, but if you put yourself out there supporting one presidential candidate over the other in public, you basically allowed yourself to be criticized. (Not saying it is right, but it is what it is.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 26 days ago)
 
8,733 posts, read 10,859,792 times
Reputation: 12781
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
I'm not a veteran myself but have two close relatives who are/were (one passed away). The remaining veteran voted for Trump mainly to vote against most of the DNC policies. Some of the veterans hate the Left just as much as the OP hates Trump. The answer to his question could be as simple as that. And probably is.

People have very strong opinions on both sides of the isle.

I mentioned before that everyone I know with the exception of one person voted against Hillary because they just couldn't stand her and they're against a number of ideas pushed by the Left. It's not because they particularly like Trump. That push/pull is still going to exist in the next election. You can count on it. The DNC can win, but they're going to need the right candidate.
I understand what you're saying. Many disliked Clinton and so Trump was the alternative. And, I agree that push/pull will still go on. The Dem candidate will make/break next election. That's why I roll my eyes w/ some of the candidates. Some will not be able to win w/ the way things are so polarized now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:12 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,689 posts, read 8,601,319 times
Reputation: 19955
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
As a vet of 6 years of service 66-72 I just don't see how others support trump.
First of all Daddy bought him a "bye" during Vietnam for bone spurs so he could not serve..........
Prove it.
If you are a vet, you know that lots of people were deferred for lot of reasons, flat feet and bone spurs among them. So prove that someone was paid to find bone spurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
21,954 posts, read 21,751,436 times
Reputation: 21508
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
sorry , i mistakenly gave you a reputation point, I want it back
I hear people around these parts talking all the time about how daddy Trump
really cares about them, trust me people do believe this along with
the thought that he is for the working man. They think he is their savior.
Where is around here. Are you poor, rural? The coast gives the impression not. Just saying.

I live in a poor rural community full of conservatives and I dont know a soul that thinks he is their savior.

What does it mean to you. What does it mean to supporters.

He has signed into law the Mission Act. Created the Veterans Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act, the Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act, expanded the post 9/11 GI Bill.
Unemployment is lower than it has been in decades. Tax cuts: Tax Cuts and Jobs Act . reauthorized the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act, Increased GDP, established the National Council for the American worker, helped launch the Women Entrepreneurs Finance Initiative.

Sometimes I think some on the left think Trump is expected to solve all the countries problems with a wave of a magic wand: end poverty, addiction, jobs for everyone, education for everyone. If he cant then he has failed the working man.

What is it exactly that he has done to hold down the working man or vet or how has he worked against them, lied to them (not being able to carryout to the letter a campaign promise is not a lie)?

I think everyone realizes no president can fulfill all their campaign promises (they are not dictators) or make everyone happy on all fronts. Ok not everyone there are delusional people on both sides. And sorry you cant get the rep point back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 26 days ago)
 
8,733 posts, read 10,859,792 times
Reputation: 12781
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, Captain Khan’s family was a slightly “dirty trick” by the Clinton campaign in that all one can do is to acknowledge their grief, state that your views don’t align with what they are saying and gently move forward without being seen to attack them. One needs to be careful not call them “liars” and even more careful not impugn the character of their deceased war hero son.

The so called "attacking the gold star father" showed that Trump was not a savvy politician, he acted like a man child many times. I don't think anybody need to defend him on that, however, The fact is that Trump in spite of his ill-informed and annoying rhetoric has neither killed, nor harmed any innocent Muslim in any way.

by the way, I lost TWO boyfriends and their parents are also Gold star parents. NO ONE would even know their or their sons' names. There are many families just like them. I think asking somebody, "What have you sacrificed, you have lost no one." is an emotional talk, not a rational one. It showed a sense of entitlement. It is also a question to back somebody in the corner, no matter how you respond, unless you are also a gold star family,there is no good response. Trump should have known better.


General Kelly is also a Gold star father, never forget about that. He himself served in the Marine Corps pretty much his whole life. Look the treatments that he received from his political opponents. I am not saying two wrongs make one right, but if you put yourself out there supporting one presidential candidate over the other in public, you basically allowed yourself to be criticized. (Not saying it is right, but it is what it is.)
Right, Trump has no filter like children don't. I guess it's enticing to some to see him up there saying what he thinks, at the moment, but it also shows his lack of critical thinking skills about many topics. Scary. Right, both sides need to clean up their act. Clinton campaign had issues for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top