Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:00 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
As a vet of 6 years of service 66-72 I just don't see how others support trump.
First of all Daddy bought him a "bye" during Vietnam for bone spurs so he could not serve. Yet he played many sports that were just as active as he would have been in the military.
I hate to do this, but I really believe not a lot of people really think military service is a requirement for presidency. Plus, even many Vietnam vets themselves said that they did not really hate the draft dodgers, they just hated the dodgers who made their lives miserable after they came back home. A lot of people who called vietnam vets baby killers were actually draft dodgers. Can you deny that? Trump hasn't done anything anti military vets.

Part of the divide in this country is that people think those who disagree with them are any number of the derogatory terms. The best way forward is for people to agree to disagree. Your vision of the future of this country is not the same as mine, I respect your right to have those views and think you honestly feel that is best for the country not that you are out to get any certain group of people, or are stupid. The ideological divide is only going to broaden as long as people don’t have a basic respect for each other’s right to have an opinion.

Quote:
He does not like anyone that gets any kind of government check such as retirement from the service or a VA disability.
In fact just yesterday he is attempting to control benefits to low income people throughout the country.
hmm VA disability benefits =/= welfare They are earned benefits, kind of like workplace disability. So not sure Trump hates VA disability benefits.

I volunteer at a VA hospital. Overwhelming majority of the vets I know are honorable people, but sometimes, you'd meet a person who has never seen combat and is obsessed with how to increase his so called "disability" rating from a 0% to 20%. (yeah, astonishing sense of entitlement.) A person seems to believe simply finishing his 4 year contract would give him at least a 10% disability rating. WHT?

My brother served in the Marine Corps for 8 years and he broke one knee while in service. (in his military record) It was an easy 20% disability rating, but he did not even bother to apply for it.

Quote:
Draft is an outdated concept, volunteers protect a free society should always be the case. Not everybody is suitable for a military service. So there are no reasons to look down on people who would use legal ways to dodge a draft. (This is my most honest opinion, and if this makes me a coward or a bad person, well, so be it) plus, in 1977, President Jimmy Carter, in his first day in office, fulfilled a campaign promise by granting unconditional pardons to hundreds of thousands of men who had evaded the draft during the Vietnam War by fleeing the country or by failing to register.

My brother, ALL my childhood friends or best friends, and my fiance are combat vets. They all think no matter who is the president, this country seems always fight with somebody. The combat service members normally don't like radical change of rules of engagement. They want the lawyers out of the battlefield. Trump like him or not, seems to be exactly the type of president who would fight to get the lawyers out of the battlefield. Different people have different priorities.

last but not the least, I think Trump should have left McCain's military service alone, but it is obvious that these two just didn't like each other. Trump's personal attack was rather childish, but do most vets I know think Trump attacked ALL pows? The answer is a hell no.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-12-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
First of all Daddy bought him a "bye" during Vietnam for bone spurs so he could not serve. Yet he played many sports that were just as active as he would have been in the military. OK, I was well aware when I served that many with money did not serve as there were many ways to get out of it.
He says he did not support the war. Neither did I, but I was drafted and served my time plus some.
He does not like anyone that gets any kind of government check such as retirement from the service or a VA disability.
In fact just yesterday he is attempting to control benefits to low income people throughout the country.
Let me tell you why: because he is a true American, not the most likable but still a good American. As for not serving you are there are many who found a way around the war. We have Clinton who actually was a draft dodger My own husband was turned down for the Marines because of a stupid knee injury but went on to play a lot of basket ball and on several work relate baseball teams. When so many talk about Trumps fake deferment I have to wonder where is your proof? As for him controlling government handouts, can you blame him? as for government checks for retirees, SS, VA retirement, can you give us a reference to this? I am skeptical that this is 100% true.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:08 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
When I was in the Marine Corps, I served under both a Republican president and a Democrat one. I can tell you, for military members everyday life, work, and supplies, it was far, far better serving under a Republican president. This does have influence on my vote with respect to how the potential candidate feels about our defense and wanting to ensure our military has the tools, equipment, and support to continue the jobs put to them by these various politicians via treaties, agreements, and other such pacts.

Remember, the military isn't in places like Japan or Germany simply because they want to be there - it's the politicians signing those treaties causing this. If we have a president who wants to cut our defense but will not cut the obligations on our military via these treaties, I cannot support that person. In my experience, that's precisely what happened under a Democrat president and from what I've seen, I suspect it will continue to happen under Democrat presidents in the future.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Nor I.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
I'm a veteran.

I oppose tRump.

I know several other veterans who also oppose him.

I know some who are Trumplings.

It's a mixed bag.

But one thing is undeniably certain:

Moderator cut: off topic trolling

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-12-2019 at 01:14 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
First of all Daddy bought him a "bye" during Vietnam for bone spurs so he could not serve. Yet he played many sports that were just as active as he would have been in the military. OK, I was well aware when I served that many with money did not serve as there were many ways to get out of it.
He says he did not support the war. Neither did I, but I was drafted and served my time plus some.
"I will never understand why..."

There are a LOT of things you will NEVER understand!

"First of all Daddy bought him a "bye" during Vietnam for bone spurs so he could not serve.". Prove it.

Many vets supported bill clinton even though through connections had HIS draft number moved to the bottom of the list.

"Neither did I, but I was drafted and served my time plus some." I did 2 TOURS in Nam and I support him. Most of the vets I know in the American Legion and VFW support him.

Looks like it is YOU who are in the minority.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
No link provided for either of your claims in your last two sentences. Is it possible with your last sentence that he is trying to curb fraud? I ask these questions because the liberal left, Trump haters tend to spin the truth. Trump has often spoke about our veterans and increasing benefits to them. So I don't know where you are going with this.

As for his bone spurs the military has strict rules on physical capabilities. Not his fault if he didn't meet the requirements. Him playing any sports would have nothing to do with what the military requires. Try again.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So he is pretty much the same as sooo many other presidents except for the blowhard and obnoxious part.
I dont think anyone rural, urban, metropolitan, poor, middle or elite believes Trump cares bout them personally. He like all the others cares about votes.
Has he done any less for the country and its people than other presidents?
sorry , i mistakenly gave you a reputation point, I want it back
I hear people around these parts talking all the time about how daddy Trump
really cares about them, trust me people do believe this along with
the thought that he is for the working man. They think he is their savior.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
My husband and I talk about it once in a while and we don't get it either. Plus the obsession w/ badmouthing McCain. And, the Gold Star father. Yes, vets have different outlooks on things, but this Trump w/ his hx of blatantly disrespecting them is over the top. Plus, allying w/ Russian and NKorean dictators. How does it get worse?
Thank you for your service.
Just because McCain was a veteran doesn't mean he should be excluded from criticism. Where did he bad mouth a Gold Star father without reason? Are you lefties still pushing the Russian collusion? Get over it! As for Kim, what's wrong with trying to talk with him so that we can all be safer?

Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
sorry , i mistakenly gave you a reputation point, I want it back
I hear people around these parts talking all the time about how daddy Trump
really cares about them, trust me people do believe this along with
the thought that he is for the working man. They think he is their savior.
Such silliness by you lefties. He is no daddy or savior to us. He's just our president whom we support on many things. You know, kind of like how you supported Obama, no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies