U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2019, 05:41 AM
 
Location: OH->FL->NJ
9,911 posts, read 8,066,675 times
Reputation: 4181

Advertisements

LOL. Talk about a freak out. The mannequin is fat but I see far far FAR fatter people walking around every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 AM
 
990 posts, read 167,160 times
Reputation: 563
What is the point of shaming fat people out of clothes made for exercise?

Seem that is exactly the type of clothes, environment, and attitude you would want overweight people to have. Superman is not super until he puts on the cape. Maybe buying a good looking workout outfit is the first step to a healthier lifestyle.

Every journey starts with a first step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 AM
 
6,870 posts, read 2,519,856 times
Reputation: 3740
Have to agree that it makes no sense to bash a fitness company for making and marketing clothing specifically meant to accommodate obese people who choose to do athletic training.

Yes, it would be nice to have the body of the buff mannequins you see at the Under Armour display at Dicks, but uhm...what should people wear on their way to that 5% body fat ripped-ness of much awesome?

Sure, I am cool powerlifting in my Ramones t-shirt, cutoff sweats, black socks and lifting shoes that make people think I am special needs, but I am 52 years old and stopped G'ingAFF about what people think of my gym swag when I was like 15. Not everyone rocks my healthy disdain for the opinions of others or my lack of Fs to give about how I look while I am doing the super attractive 5th sumo deadlift set of the day. Some people actually like looking nice while they attempt to look even nicer, so why hate on Nike for making nice clothes for them to do that, or hate on them for buying the gear?

Clowning apologists for obesity, or the morons who try to convince you of how 40% body fat is healthier than 15%...fine, clown away. But clowning Nike or their obese customers who buy the plus sized workout apparel in an effort to promote fitness? Yeah, that's weaksauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 09:00 AM
 
10,520 posts, read 2,687,692 times
Reputation: 7154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Have to agree that it makes no sense to bash a fitness company for making and marketing clothing specifically meant to accommodate obese people who choose to do athletic training.

Yes, it would be nice to have the body of the buff mannequins you see at the Under Armour display at Dicks, but uhm...what should people wear on their way to that 5% body fat ripped-ness of much awesome?

Sure, I am cool powerlifting in my Ramones t-shirt, cutoff sweats, black socks and lifting shoes that make people think I am special needs, but I am 52 years old and stopped G'ingAFF about what people think of my gym swag when I was like 15. Not everyone rocks my healthy disdain for the opinions of others or my lack of Fs to give about how I look while I am doing the super attractive 5th sumo deadlift set of the day. Some people actually like looking nice while they attempt to look even nicer, so why hate on Nike for making nice clothes for them to do that, or hate on them for buying the gear?

Clowning apologists for obesity, or the morons who try to convince you of how 40% body fat is healthier than 15%...fine, clown away. But clowning Nike or their obese customers who buy the plus sized workout apparel in an effort to promote fitness? Yeah, that's weaksauce.
You are right, no one needs specialized workout clothing, basic sweat pants, t shirts/ tank tops have been the standard for many many years, doesnt need to be name brand either.


If you are going out and buying this kind of work out gear, I think maybe 'getting healthy' and working out is not exactly the priority. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 09:12 AM
 
3,386 posts, read 4,332,103 times
Reputation: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The normalization of behavior which is unhealthy is typically liberal. What liberals have never learned is that you can do what you want, but you cannot escape the negative consequences of your behavior - the two go together. If you're fat, fine, but don't expect it to be normalized as natural and regular. The fat lobby has been very effective at the job it does.
This is the stupidest post I have read in a while. If Nike as a business expects to sell clothes to large folks they are wise to actually design specific clothes that fit/flatter this demo and put them on mannequins so someone will see they might be desirable. Sticking them ten feet behind the store room in a darkly lit hall will not exactly move merchandise.


And as a guy who is heavier than most- 230 lbs- but strength train twice a week, yoga at least twice a week, and take a HIIT class twice a week- I can assure you some of us tubsters can still maintain a decent workout. Sometimes weight is deceptive in that we carry it differently. And I'm not going to judge skinny people who do not have any muscle mass, muscle guys who are inflexible, or anyone elses situation because that is their situation, not mine.


My only real problems have been that some brands cut their shirts to short or two narrow- hence I tend to buy 3 of any workout shirt that fits (Under Armour Large Loose in the stretch fabric seems to work best for me)- and that my yoga studio did not order any men's XL cotton shirts when they had their annual yoga challenge. A couple of us made some 'yoga is supposed to be for everyone' jokes about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 AM
 
15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times
Reputation: 7988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Have to agree that it makes no sense to bash a fitness company for making and marketing clothing specifically meant to accommodate obese people who choose to do athletic training.

Yes, it would be nice to have the body of the buff mannequins you see at the Under Armour display at Dicks, but uhm...what should people wear on their way to that 5% body fat ripped-ness of much awesome?

Sure, I am cool powerlifting in my Ramones t-shirt, cutoff sweats, black socks and lifting shoes that make people think I am special needs, but I am 52 years old and stopped G'ingAFF about what people think of my gym swag when I was like 15. Not everyone rocks my healthy disdain for the opinions of others or my lack of Fs to give about how I look while I am doing the super attractive 5th sumo deadlift set of the day. Some people actually like looking nice while they attempt to look even nicer, so why hate on Nike for making nice clothes for them to do that, or hate on them for buying the gear?

Clowning apologists for obesity, or the morons who try to convince you of how 40% body fat is healthier than 15%...fine, clown away. But clowning Nike or their obese customers who buy the plus sized workout apparel in an effort to promote fitness? Yeah, that's weaksauce.

I agree with this.

I don't see the issue of bashing Nike. And I'm similar to you in workout gear. I also powerlift and have those ugly shoes lol but mostly wear tank tops and leggins. I also wear an ugly belt and am a lady so I don't look as "cute" as the other ladies at the gym (I do always wear lipstick and earrings though lol- my hsuband thinks its weird but I feel more in my zone with my lip stick and earrings). Most of the women after my workout always tell me how "intense" I am because I don't talk to people at the gym and I work out pretty hard. I come to workout, not socialize or sit and look pretty (I get very sweaty) and I personally don't even consider myself super "fit" because I'm not. I'm also not trying to reach any body fat percentage and am considered to be overweight, which surprised my doctor when she first met me because she didn't think I "look" as heavy as I am lol. But I'm okay with my weight and not trying to lose anything.

Fat people have to wear clothes too in order to work out. My younger brother is probably the biggest consumer of Nikes I know (he literally has over 100 pairs of shoes) but he is very obese, unfortunately (I often encourage him to come to the gym with me but he is lazy. He is already pre-diabetic and not even 30 years old). Obese people wear a lot of Nike shoes and gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 09:18 AM
 
15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times
Reputation: 7988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
This is the stupidest post I have read in a while. If Nike as a business expects to sell clothes to large folks they are wise to actually design specific clothes that fit/flatter this demo and put them on mannequins so someone will see they might be desirable. Sticking them ten feet behind the store room in a darkly lit hall will not exactly move merchandise.


And as a guy who is heavier than most- 230 lbs- but strength train twice a week, yoga at least twice a week, and take a HIIT class twice a week- I can assure you some of us tubsters can still maintain a decent workout. Sometimes weight is deceptive in that we carry it differently. And I'm not going to judge skinny people who do not have any muscle mass, muscle guys who are inflexible, or anyone elses situation because that is their situation, not mine.


My only real problems have been that some brands cut their shirts to short or two narrow- hence I tend to buy 3 of any workout shirt that fits (Under Armour Large Loose in the stretch fabric seems to work best for me)- and that my yoga studio did not order any men's XL cotton shirts when they had their annual yoga challenge. A couple of us made some 'yoga is supposed to be for everyone' jokes about that.

I agree with this too. As noted, I am considered overweight. I work out 5 days a week and I work out much harder than the skinny ladies in the ladies section (I lift weights in the ladies section because no one is ever using the squat rack in there like they do in the "power" zone at my gym - the guys use it a lot but the ladies section it is always empty so I stay in there). Most of the thin/skinny ladies stay on cardio machines and one was amazed I can do an hour on the elliptical lol. On cardio days (2 days a week) I do the elliptical for an hour. It is not hard to me even though I'm probably 25-30lbs heavier than the thin ladies who are so impressed by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 AM
 
6,870 posts, read 2,519,856 times
Reputation: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are right, no one needs specialized workout clothing, basic sweat pants, t shirts/ tank tops have been the standard for many many years, doesnt need to be name brand either.

If you are going out and buying this kind of work out gear, I think maybe 'getting healthy' and working out is not exactly the priority. lol
True enough, and gym swag people crack me up, but if I see them, they are in fact IN THE GYM, which puts them ahead of the 99% of everyone else NOT in the gym.

Thus, even swagged out and looking absurd, at least they are there, doing something even if all they did properly was the walk from the car to the building and back.

And tbh, most of the folks who need clowned at the gym aren't the obese folks trying to fix the problem, but bro's who spend 95% of their "workout" lifting wrong and/or admiring themselves in the mirror. I am far more likely to converse with the 300+ pounder in their brand new Nike swag than I am the 145 pound chicken leg bro who does every lift wrong and bangs weights because it's AWESOME!! I am also a lot more likely to help/assist/sympathize with the obese person in their Nike swag because beginning fitness training sucks, and for obese people, it sucks a lot.

Just cannot clown Nike or their plus sized customers on this. If it helps get people off the couch and into the gym, wtf cares if the mannequin is jumbo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 09:33 AM
 
6,870 posts, read 2,519,856 times
Reputation: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this too. As noted, I am considered overweight. I work out 5 days a week and I work out much harder than the skinny ladies in the ladies section (I lift weights in the ladies section because no one is ever using the squat rack in there like they do in the "power" zone at my gym - the guys use it a lot but the ladies section it is always empty so I stay in there). Most of the thin/skinny ladies stay on cardio machines and one was amazed I can do an hour on the elliptical lol. On cardio days (2 days a week) I do the elliptical for an hour. It is not hard to me even though I'm probably 25-30lbs heavier than the thin ladies who are so impressed by this.
Nice.

Maybe two weeks ago, I saw a pregnant lady, like 7-8 months pregnant if she was a day, doing single leg dumbbell deadlifts and goblet squats. I remember watching her with 100% admiration and thinking that besides maybe 1-2 people in the gym that day, nobody was doing a harder or more effective workout. Anyone who has ever done single leg deadlifts knows why I was admiring her. And iirc, she had some nice gym swag, maybe even Nike....and good for her.

I clown Planet Fatness a bunch for their entire marketing thing, but if they do nothing else well that other gyms and gym rats as well should follow, it's making people who are scared of the gym a lot less scared. If Nike is making fitness clothing less intimidating, GOOD FOR THEM. If it gets more people off the sofa and into that power rack in the ladies' section of the gym...GOOD FOR THEM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 09:42 AM
 
4,438 posts, read 873,089 times
Reputation: 1889
So, basically it is a snowflake criticizing fat mannequins made by a major shoe/sporting goods company and the criticizer is getting criticism for that criticism? That snowflake should lighten up a bit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top