U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Fat people have to wear clothes too in order to work out.
We do?! I thought the message those Nike bashers were trying to send is that they think we fatties ought to be working out naked! Darn - I guess I'll need to take my gym bag to the gym tonight after all.

Seriously, though, I think a lot of people who have never been seriously overweight have no idea of how discouraging it is for a very heavy person to go shopping for athletic clothes and gear only to find absolutely nothing in the store that will fit them. The message comes through loud and clear: Go away, fattie, this activity is not for YOU. Since when is that a message we want to send to people who are interested in working out?

Exercise is for everybody - and that means every body, whether fat, thin, or in-between. I'm happy to see more merchants (including Nike) are finally acknowledging that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 01:52 AM

1,297 posts, read 802,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
So it seems Nike can talk the snowflake talk but can't walk the walk, because in reality it's just another greedy global corporation, whose real interest is in virtue signalling as part of advertyising in order to increase their profits.
I think the fashion and retail industries probably understand that true aesthetic is timeless.

The marketing consultants in this story may even find the plus-size mannequin as unattractive as the OP does.

They counter-engineer the body positive movement through occasional virtue signalling to prevent being barricaded in by a Seussian social justice bandwagon. All the while, nothing much changes in terms of their actual values.

1. The vast majority of prime retail mannequins today have biometries similar to those of 16-year-old girls.
2. Runway models still have the pedomorphic look that they did in the early 1990s, in the heyday of Kate Moss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or