Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
More of an independent now. The WMD justification that was used was bogus and the outcome was not good. But the WMD justification was unnecessary anyway. Desert Storm ended with a cease fire, not a peace treaty. Iraq repeatedly violated the terms of that cease fire for years. So military action could be justified on that basis alone, particularly to protect the Kurds and take out anti-aircraft sites that were firing on our planes daily.

But were they a threat to the world and deserving of hundreds of thousands of deaths, regime change, and having to occupy the country? Certainly not.
If they were firing on our planes “daily,” certainly a few of our planes would’ve been hit and we would’ve lost a few pilots at least. We’re good, but not THAT good!

I think that was all hyperbole after the fact once we realized that we screwed up. If attacking Iraq for that purpose was justified in 2003, then it was justified every single year after Desert Storm. Why didn’t we attack in 1995, or 1999? Simply put, it makes no sense. There was no pressing reason to attack Iraq at any time...especially not in 2003. We had far more important fish to fry. And I don’t believe the story that they’d been firing on our planes in the No Fly Zone. It doesn’t hold up to serious scrutiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Him and his family being gone is the silver lining of all of it.

I don't think it's the silver lining you think it is. Saddam in a sense was like the cop of the ME and buffered Iranian influence. This is why the first Bush administration didn't invade Iraq. His rule may not have been good for Shiites in his country but it certainly was within the interests US in the grand scheme of things.

As far WMD goes keep in mind Iraq had nuclear program that was within a year or two of completion and the CIA completely missed it. They didn't know about it until after the conclusion of the first gulf war. Saddam used these weapons in the past even on his own people, he was also acting like he had them. I believe he was playing a very dangerous game and just trying to be a giant PITA knowing the US wouldn't invade. He was not expecting an event like 9/11 to completely change the politics.

In hindsight Iraq was a giant mistake but hindsight is always 20/20.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:08 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,009 times
It's like trying to find an American who'll admit to re-electing Dubya.
I know they must be out there but I'm darned if I ever come across any ....

Old 06-13-2019, 04:26 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
I have a question for conservatives here. I know you consider yourselves free thinkers, and believe that liberals are not. You see yourselves as objective viewers of fact, putting information above emotion. But I read this statistic today: 61% of Republicans believe starting the Iraq War was the right decision. That's compared to 27% of Democrats.

This is after finding out that the intelligence about WMD was wrong, after Trump campaigned against the Iraq War, and after GWB, Colin Powell, and John McCain have said that it was a mistake.

How is it that self identified Republicans are so utterly susceptible to propaganda that 17 years after "Freedom Fries" and "With us or against us" and "Mission Accomplished" almost 2/3 of you still believe the war was the right thing to do?

Why do "free thinkers" support a war just because politicians wave a flag and use the buzzword "freedom", and continue to support the war 15 years later?

Sources:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...2apM5PvMCdVkTc

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...gence-failure/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18M70UgmV40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NllVMlu0g1Y
Why do you think it's propaganda that's leading them to think the way they do? War, death and destruction has it's own fandom.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:45 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times
Quote:
I have a question for conservatives here. I know you consider yourselves free thinkers, and believe that liberals are not. You see yourselves as objective viewers of fact, putting information above emotion. But I read this statistic today: 61% of Republicans believe starting the Iraq War was the right decision. That's compared to 27% of Democrats.

This is after finding out that the intelligence about WMD was wrong, after Trump campaigned against the Iraq War, and after GWB, Colin Powell, and John McCain have said that it was a mistake.

How is it that self identified Republicans are so utterly susceptible to propaganda that 17 years after "Freedom Fries" and "With us or against us" and "Mission Accomplished" almost 2/3 of you still believe the war was the right thing to do?

Why do "free thinkers" support a war just because politicians wave a flag and use the buzzword "freedom", and continue to support the war 15 years later?

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18M70UgmV40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NllVMlu0g1Y
Because they don’t want to admit their golden boy betrayed this country.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Many of them choose party over country. That's one reason Individual 1 is in office.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
I am in the 39%..always have been. I was against the Iraq war to begin with. Make no mistake I was a warmonger but I knew Iraq was the wrong country (Saudi Arabia was the correct country). I was rather fond of Saddam Hussein because he was a secularist and I highly value secularism...it is much more meaningful to me than the neocons "sphere of influence" garbage.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Many of them choose party over country. That's one reason Individual 1 is in office.
The neocon's behind the Iraq war hate Trump with a passion.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:19 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:

Sources:

Why did democrats vote for the war monger Obama who escalated over Bush? Because they are nothing more than filthy two faced hypocrites.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:00 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Why do 95%+ of liberals believe the laughable claim that Donald Trump is a Russian agent?
Because they are idiots to believe their lying Minders and have no ability to think for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies