Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 01:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For those of you who are totally against abortion, what are you going to do when women have babies they don't want and can't afford? Are you going to take them in? Pay for them? Comforting these babies when they wake up crying four times each night? Pro-life means respecting life from cradle to grave, after all. What's the plan after they are born? After these bans are enacted, there are consequences. This is real life. It's messy. It's not ideal. The problem won't magically solve itself just because Louisiana bans abortion. Once they are born, our taxes will go up, because the children will need CHIP, SNAP, and Food Stamps. Are you willing to pay more taxes?

Notwithstanding the FACT that there are multiple choices to be made by the men and women involved before pregnancy, you believe that one cannot be anti-abortion without agreeing to directly provide for someone else's children.

I see.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Ever hear the phrase "I feared for my life."?

Well, that applies to a woman carrying a pregnancy too. Why shouldn't it?
I support the right of a woman to have an abortion in cases where her life is in danger. It's not that the unborn child is suddenly worthless in such situations, but rather it's a case where you have to choose one life or another, and it seems to me that in such a case, it's better to choose the life that is already here instead of the one that is coming.

Now, what percentage of abortions are done because the woman's life is in danger? It's not a very big number, I don't think. I believe that it's dwarfed by the percentage of abortions that are done as a means of after-the-fact birth control.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:57 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For those of you who are totally against abortion, what are you going to do when women have babies they don't want and can't afford? Are you going to take them in? Pay for them? Comforting these babies when they wake up crying four times each night? Pro-life means respecting life from cradle to grave, after all. What's the plan after they are born? After these bans are enacted, there are consequences. This is real life. It's messy. It's not ideal. The problem won't magically solve itself just because Louisiana bans abortion. Once they are born, our taxes will go up, because the children will need CHIP, SNAP, and Food Stamps. Are you willing to pay more taxes?
These are actually excellent questions!

I am pro-life and we need to address these issues. Especially so because many children are born to families which can not provide well for them, and they will need help. If we demand mothers to keep and rear children they can not provide for we should expect more social problems from at least some of those youngsters, and the last thing we need is to build more jails for a reason like that.

I also believe that it would be very practical if non-abortifacient birth control was included in a national healthcare plan for all Americans.

I think it is about time we realize that we will not be able to stop abortions simply by changing laws. Making abortion illegal will not stop abortions, it's an unpleasant thought but realistic. All the judges in the country will not stop abortions. If people pursue abortions, abortions will be provided some way and some how, so the real challenge is to educate the public about it. If community leadership is taking this stand against abortion they need to step up and convince the public of the rightness of their position. They need to bring public opinion along with them or the scheme will not work.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:58 PM

752 posts, read 460,175 times
Quote:

It is made up of human cells, that is all, that does not make it a human or a person.

You projecting your feelings and emotions onto a collection of human cells does not magically make them a human BEING, a person.
That's bad science. Upon conception, it has unique DNA. It's a human being in a developmental stage. You want to call it a cluster of cells so you can stomach your support of killing it. I get it.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:04 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Where are the adoption agencies that are going to take in all of these millions of children and find them all "good" homes? LOL. In a fairy tale, but not anywhere in the US.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:06 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I support the right of a woman to have an abortion in cases where her life is in danger. It's not that the unborn child is suddenly worthless in such situations, but rather it's a case where you have to choose one life or another, and it seems to me that in such a case, it's better to choose the life that is already here instead of the one that is coming.

Now, what percentage of abortions are done because the woman's life is in danger? It's not a very big number, I don't think. I believe that it's dwarfed by the percentage of abortions that are done as a means of after-the-fact birth control.
EVERY pregnancy puts a woman's life in danger. Death can happen WITHOUT WARNING.

A pregnancy can be perfectly normal right up until birth, then, out of nowhere, without warning, the woman throws a blood clot and dies. Just one scenario of many.

"I feared for my life." That is what you say when you shoot an intruder you find in your home......and you don't have to prove he was a threat to your life. Most of the time that intruder will only rob you or run away and not hurt you at all, but you are still allowed to use deadly force because he poses a THREAT to your life.

Now, you tell me why a woman shouldn't be afforded the same right to protect her life from the threat carrying a pregnancy poses to her life.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:10 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
EVERY pregnancy puts a woman's life in danger. Death can happen WITHOUT WARNING.

A pregnancy can be perfectly normal right up until birth, then, out of nowhere, without warning, the woman throws a blood clot and dies. Just one scenario of many.

"I feared for my life." That is what you say when you shoot an intruder you find in your home......and you don't have to prove he was a threat to your life. Most of the time that intruder will only rob you or run away and not hurt you at all, but you are still allowed to use deadly force because he poses a THREAT to your life.

Now, you tell me why a woman shouldn't be afforded the same right to protect her life from the threat carrying a pregnancy poses to her life.
Imaginary danger is not real danger... You could be hit by car therefore you should never leave your house? Just because it is very small doesn't mean it is very real.. using it as an excuse, doesn't strengthen your argument ...

Old 06-13-2019, 02:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Notwithstanding the FACT that there are multiple choices to be made by the men and women involved before pregnancy, you believe that one cannot be anti-abortion without agreeing to directly provide for someone else's children.

I see.
I am merely a pragmatist. If abortion doesn't exist in this Beaver Cleaver moral utopia, more unwanted and unaffordable children will. So whether conservatives like it or not, they will be paying more out of their pocket in tax monies to help support these strangers' kids (and their parents.) So yes, they will be directly providing for them whether they like it or not. Unless they have a solution I'm not aware of.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
That's bad science. Upon conception, it has unique DNA. It's a human being in a developmental stage. You want to call it a cluster of cells so you can stomach your support of killing it. I get it.
Where do get the idea that unique DNA means a damn thing?

The next time I go to the doctor, the next time I need a prescription, I am not going to pay, after all, I have unique DNA so that makes my life sacred! Pay them? Oh hell no! They should feel privileged to help keep me alive!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't have to make up excuses to validate my belief that a fetus is not a person and it does not give a damn if it is aborted or not.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Where do get the idea that unique DNA means a damn thing?

The next time I go to the doctor, the next time I need a prescription, I am not going to pay, after all, I have unique DNA so that makes my life sacred! Pay them? Oh hell no! They should feel privileged to help keep me alive!

Sorry to disappoint you, but I don't have to make up excuses to validate my belief that a fetus is not a person and it does not give a damn if it is aborted or not.
Your belief isn't necessary for any other person to be a person... That line of thinking isn't unique a few decades to a few centuries ago... And yes we do have to keep you alive, because you are a person ... Whether a fetus can tell you to stop or not isn't a requirement for it to be a person ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies