Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 01:20 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Sucks for him but he knew the rules.

There's other places that will accept him.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gay-...151337281.html

Quote:
While Taylor’s immediate family welcomed the gay teen with open arms, it was his “second family” that betrayed him, he says. That’s because the Firs, a Christian organization that “raised me in the Christian Faith” fired him from his camp counselor position after discovering he was gay.

“I was heartbroken and I felt betrayed by them,” Taylor says.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Someone can be fired from a job for being straight too - as there is no federal protection for an employee to be fired (or not hired) due to being gay or straight. When straight people start getting fired for being straight then maybe the GOP will take notice.

**Disclaimer: Some cities/states have employment and housing protections for gay/straight but this only applies in that city/state. Most areas default to the federal rule of 'no protections' for gay straight in employment and housing.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
He should look for a more "inclusive" religious organization with a kid's camp. If the "Chevy" doesn't suit your needs, trade it in for a "Subaru"!

Old 06-14-2019, 02:35 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
He needs to go to work for the Y or another non-Christian youth group. Religiously based organizations are allowed to required employees follow the faith. People like the benifical outcomes that Christian organizations create, such as charity, social safety nets and schools, but want to demand those same organizations not practice their faith.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:40 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
At least he now knows what his "second family" really thinks of him. I bet they lose another person in the pews.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:44 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Christians are going by what it states in their Bible. It does state that homosexuality is sinful.

I don't know if there are any passages about hanging out with homosexuals as being sinful - but I believe the bigger issue is that they don't want homosexuals influencing their children.

How did this camp find out he was gay? Did he tell them? Did someone find out he was gay and tell them?

Edit: Oh, further down the article it says they found out when he changed his FB profile to show him with his boyfriend.

How many times do people have to be told to keep their social media private?

Old 06-14-2019, 03:11 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Christians are going by what it states in their Bible. It does state that homosexuality is sinful.

I don't know if there are any passages about hanging out with homosexuals as being sinful - but I believe the bigger issue is that they don't want homosexuals influencing their children.

How did this camp find out he was gay? Did he tell them? Did someone find out he was gay and tell them?

Edit: Oh, further down the article it says they found out when he changed his FB profile to show him with his boyfriend.

How many times do people have to be told to keep their social media private?
People looking for lawsuits? Keep them public for everyone to see.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:18 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
At least he now knows what his "second family" really thinks of him. I bet they lose another person in the pews.
I think it's good he knows. Likely, you're right. He will join the growing ranks of human beings that no longer like what they see in a church that preaches love and practices the opposite.

Young people are leaving organized religion in droves.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:27 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Choices have consequences.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:45 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Someone can be fired from a job for being straight too - as there is no federal protection for an employee to be fired (or not hired) due to being gay or straight. When straight people start getting fired for being straight then maybe the GOP will take notice.

Don't be so sure, as homos have more rights these days than do heteros.

For example, if you are a guy and want to be a big brother, no problem, you pass a background check and then can be alone with a boy. However if you are a man and want to be a big brother to a young girl, you are prohibited.
The idea being that you might molest the young girl even if you passed the background check.

Thus if you are hetero, you cannot be alone with the opposite sex for fear of molestation. Yet if you are homo, you are not restricted to the same sex.

For those of you assuming the same rules apply to women (hetero or homo), you'd of course be wrong.
Women can be big sisters to both young girls AND boys, (regardless of their sexual orientation) if they so choose.

Just another example of how our society has become pro-everything, but can openly discriminate against hetero men.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies