Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 05:09 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/jordan_stratton/...41455061671939
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Some folks seem to be proving this hypothesis:

Libertarianism is for petulant children: Ayn Rand, Rand Paul and the movement's sad "rebellion"

Libertarians fancy themselves radicals, and yet their rallying cry can be reduced to "You're not the boss of me!"

https://www.salon.com/2015/03/01/lib...llion_partner/
I don't know what any of this means but Rand Paul and Ayn Rand are/were hardcore statists...not anarchists.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In all fairness to the government they aren't sure exactly how much money is in the vault when they pull up to do a robbery. They have a pretty good idea but not exact.

Have some sympathy for them!

Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't know what any of this means but Rand Paul and Ayn Rand are/were hardcore statists...not anarchists.
Also, Rand hated libertarians, the LP, Rothbard, etc. Like visceral hatred actually.

It's a common thing, to take the easily lampooned villains and mistakenly make them the straw man stand in for that which needs attacked. Rand is easily assailable, so she becomes the face of any small/limited/no government theory. Notice how little Rothbard and Spooner get the same clowning? That's not by coincidence.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:26 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Also, Rand hated libertarians, the LP, Rothbard, etc. Like visceral hatred actually.

It's a common thing, to take the easily lampooned villains and mistakenly make them the straw man stand in for that which needs attacked. Rand is easily assailable, so she becomes the face of any small/limited/no government theory. Notice how little Rothbard and Spooner get the same clowning? That's not by coincidence.
I don't get the Rand thing either. I find her "philosophy" trite and simplistic, to say nothing of the requirement of an authority that enforces it. Although Rand was my gateway into Spooner, Thoreau, von Mises and Rothbard, mainly because I disagreed with many of her ideas, or, as she wrote horrendous prose, I misinterpreted them.

She had enough character flaws to make a smorgasbord of derisory remarks, and her later hypocrisy (although that doesn't excuse the equal hypocrisy of detractors who support the welfare state complaining about her benefit from it, if indeed it was welfare, and not FICA based benefits).

I guess its tilting at the biggest windmill for some.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I don't get the Rand thing either. I find her "philosophy" trite and simplistic, to say nothing of the requirement of an authority that enforces it. Although Rand was my gateway into Spooner, Thoreau, von Mises and Rothbard, mainly because I disagreed with many of her ideas, or, as she wrote horrendous prose, I misinterpreted them.

She had enough character flaws to make a smorgasbord of derisory remarks, and her later hypocrisy (although that doesn't excuse the equal hypocrisy of detractors who support the welfare state complaining about her benefit from it, if indeed it was welfare, and not FICA based benefits).

I guess its tilting at the biggest windmill for some.
She covers a lot of "oh yeah, what about..." bases, so long as the person employing the various fallacies is preaching to someone equally as ignorant on what Objectivism is and is not relative to libertarianism, classic liberalism, anarchism, etc. That makes her a useful straw man for guilt by association, begging the question, ad hominem, etc.

She did indeed write horrendous prose ("this is John Galt speaking" being one of the most famous examples), but buried in her mountains of self-adulation and verbosity, were a few proper individualism and anarchism points, and she is a good gateway into small/limited/no government theory with the real thinkers like Rothbard and Spooner.

I actually used Bastiat as my gateway to all of them, the original pain in all statists' arses. I think the one thing you can get from Rand is the notion of how wrong it is that collectives just decide they have more powers and rights than do the individuals within the group, especially power over others, simply because they create/invent/grab a monopoly on force and violence and then just decide it must be that way. Also, that the collective demands you not only obey, but agree and sanction their oppression of you. It is buried under thousands of pages of extraneous bloviating, for sure, but the message is in there.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:37 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
She covers a lot of "oh yeah, what about..." bases, so long as the person employing the various fallacies is preaching to someone equally as ignorant on what Objectivism is and is not relative to libertarianism, classic liberalism, anarchism, etc. That makes her a useful straw man for guilt by association, begging the question, ad hominem, etc.

She did indeed write horrendous prose ("this is John Galt speaking" being one of the most famous examples), but buried in her mountains of self-adulation and verbosity, were a few proper individualism and anarchism points, and she is a good gateway into small/limited/no government theory with the real thinkers like Rothbard and Spooner.

I actually used Bastiat as my gateway to all of them, the original pain in all statists' arses. I think the one thing you can get from Rand is the notion of how wrong it is that collectives just decide they have more powers and rights than do the individuals within the group, especially power over others, simply because they create/invent/grab a monopoly on force and violence and then just decide it must be that way. Also, that the collective demands you not only obey, but agree and sanction their oppression of you. It is buried under thousands of pages of extraneous bloviating, for sure, but the message is in there.
And other than adding your own flavor of bloviating to the mix, what is the end you seek?

Old 06-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
And other than adding your own flavor of bloviating to the mix, what is the end you seek?
Anarchists: The ends never justify the means.

Statists: The ends always justify the means.

That's all we are saying.

On a personal level I'd like to see one of you admit the immoral and illogical paradigm of statism. Sort of like the climax of A Few Good Men when Tom Cruise gets Jack Nicholson to admit that he ordered the code red.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9FnO3igOkOk

Old 06-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Understanding? Intellectual honesty?

I didn't start this thread. I responded to it. Once more into the breach and all that, because once again, someone just had to axe grind on those of us who do not accept the legitimacy of the state. So I type what I type in an attempt to foster understanding and intellectual honesty.

I reference much better thinkers than myself, I quote others who say things better than I can, and I try to help those in the cave understand the shadows on the wall. If one more person out there "sees" for themselves, then my mission is accomplished. If you do not see, that's cool...I will keep trying.

Also, there is something in it for me. The more people who see means more people who are content to leave me alone and not hire out agents of state tyranny to harm me. Less people seeking to actively harm me is a good thing.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Understanding? Intellectual honesty?

I didn't start this thread. I responded to it. Once more into the breach and all that, because once again, someone just had to axe grind on those of us who do not accept the legitimacy of the state. So I type what I type in an attempt to foster understanding and intellectual honesty.

I reference much better thinkers than myself, I quote others who say things better than I can, and I try to help those in the cave understand the shadows on the wall. If one more person out there "sees" for themselves, then my mission is accomplished. If you do not see, that's cool...I will keep trying.

Also, there is something in it for me. The more people who see means more people who are content to leave me alone and not hire out agents of state tyranny to harm me. Less people seeking to actively harm me is a good thing.
It will fall on deaf ears because we agree on the matter but that was a very reasoned and measured answer to the inquiry as well as an insightful look into what makes an anarchist tick.

If I had a bit more maturity I'd second it. I just want them to admit they ordered the code red (aka admitting that consent can't be given by flying out of a vagina).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies