U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:17 PM

612 posts, read 367,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Donít pay the $25K and see what happens.

Are you being facetious?
No, true story

If i refused to pay my taxes the government will sell my home

Take the taxes off the top

And give me the balance

Its the law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 07:20 PM

183 posts, read 31,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There is no requirement that you pay other than certain federal taxes on leaving.

And in fact there is nothing that keeps one from leaving even if you owe taxes. You simply cannot come back.

The payments deal with surrendering US citizenship not leaving the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nonsense. The issue is can you quit the US without paying money. The answer is yes.

and I will certainly agree that under unusual circumstances you might owe taxes that you need to pay to surrender your US citizenship. But you can always leave. There are no gates on the Canadian or Mexican border. Just walk or drive across. You are out.
Not True, some states will also tax you (CA does). Also they can seize or freeze assets, even those in another country such as Mexico or Canada because of agreements in place and you would give up any benefits such as SS or Pension (Govt or not - they can seize it).

Old 06-15-2019, 07:34 PM

12,776 posts, read 4,830,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Not True, some states will also tax you (CA does). Also they can seize or freeze assets, even those in another country such as Mexico or Canada because of agreements in place and you would give up any benefits such as SS or Pension (Govt or not - they can seize it).
If you got a mess of ties to the US be careful. And lots of assets be careful. Score here and then want tp bail you may have problems. So what...

Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 PM

8,515 posts, read 2,456,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
No, true story

And give me the balance

Its the law
True they will auction it off. Will they get market value? There is no law that says they have too. If they dont get enough to cover your taxes they dont walk away and say "well damn, maybe next time."

Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 PM

32,403 posts, read 16,598,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It could be because you may have to come back, but worse still if you leave owing taxes, your VISA to your new country may well be revoked. The long reach of Uncle Sam.

Then on top of that, if you have a bank acct. in your new home, as a US citizen you are required, by the bank, to fill out paper work that reports to the US government that you have money abroad. Yep The US government can then snatch that money too.
It's rather expected that you'll have the courage of your convictions and rescind citizenship. Pay your fees or leave the club.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's rather expected that you'll have the courage of your convictions and rescind citizenship. Pay your fees or leave the club.
A sophisticated way of saying love it or leave it.

So an either or scenario? Yes that seems right, because the either or approach to problem solving is so successful.

No, what you do is marry a foreign national. If you trust them, slowly move all of your assets abroad and into their name, or a trustworthy relative's name.

You pay your taxes before you leave. You clean up your affairs. You have Paid SS taxes your entire adult life. It would be insane to forfeit what is yours. Start collecting day one of eligibility. Get your money back.

Come back to the states once a year to see friends and family, renew your drivers license etc.

Some say its crazy to trust others with your assets. No more crazy than thinking that the Fed has your back.

Who would Trust Trump with their future? Hillary? Biden? Shiela Jackson Lee? Cruz? Not me.

It's very rare that any issue only has an either or solution.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:58 PM

2,215 posts, read 646,934 times
Quote:

No, true story

And give me the balance

Its the law
Yeah...and if you miss enough filing deadlines and quarterly payments, the IRS may show up at your door, ready to poke their bang-sticks in your face.

And they'll be asking for money. Right then. With their guns.

It's the law.

See how easy that was? And I didn't have to get into some rambling, empty-headed soliloquy about desert islands and blown-away tiki huts.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Yeah...and if you miss enough filing deadlines and quarterly payments, the IRS may show up at your door, ready to poke their bang-sticks in your face.

And they'll be asking for money. Right then. With their guns.

It's the law.

See how easy that was? And I didn't have to get into some rambling, empty-headed soliloquy about desert islands and blown-away tiki huts.
And they have done it. They have even done it to the wrong house. Those street addresses are a bother. You know like East South street or
165 Grandby street vs 165 Grandby ave.
Kick the doors in move in like a swat team, literally wreck the place, terrorize the family. Then say oops our mistake have a nice day.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:17 PM

18,796 posts, read 9,612,025 times
Quote:
No, true story

And give me the balance

Its the law
And if you refuse to leave?

Wouldn’t they send some armed gongs to haul you off the premise?

Old 06-15-2019, 08:26 PM

2,215 posts, read 646,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post

And they have done it. They have even done it to the wrong house. Those street addresses are a bother. You know like East South street or
165 Grandby street vs 165 Grandby ave.
Kick the doors in move in like a swat team, literally wreck the place, terrorize the family. Then say oops our mistake have a nice day.
IRS agents: "Oh, so sorry. We really meant to rob this other guy down the block. Silly us. We'll just be taking our battering ram and our fully automatic assault rifles over to your neighbor's house, and we'll toss his place."

You know...having a legally sanctioned federal robbery outfit that shakes down the citizenry is bad enough. But it takes a special, industrial-strength variety of stupid to staff that roving gang of bandits with hapless jacklegs who can't process basic information like street addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies