U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2019, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Reputation: 11309

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Hyperbole? Well, the most recent announcement by Broadcom, for instance, said that they expect to be out a cool 2 billion in revenue on an annual basis. That's the other thing, there are also a lot of indirect revenue losses in addition to the direct. I guess to you 2 billion is pocket change.
Their revenues are 20bn per year give or take, meaning that it's a roughly 10% loss. Sucks but it's not insurmountable. They are also dealing with antitrust suits which can shake confidence. It's my understanding that the rest of the market didn't really respond to the Broadcom drop, and their shares have rebounded, at least temporarily. They're in much better shape than Huawei, one way or the other.



Quote:
There is an expression (in another language) about misguided motto, with a loose translation like this:



It is not important for me to do well, it is important for (enter name) to do poorly...
Yes, exactly. That's basically how China has gotten to where it is. Now it's time to call them on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 PM
 
1,783 posts, read 990,559 times
Reputation: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Their revenues are 20bn per year give or take, meaning that it's a roughly 10% loss. Sucks but it's not insurmountable. They are also dealing with antitrust suits which can shake confidence. It's my understanding that the rest of the market didn't really respond to the Broadcom drop, and their shares have rebounded, at least temporarily. They're in much better shape than Huawei, one way or the other.




Yes, exactly. That's basically how China has gotten to where it is. Now it's time to call them on it
Not sure what you mean by that, but everybody else who is affected "responded", and by a lot.

Whatever. Huawei is ahead of everybody else in 5G, this is what this particular case is all about. Of course, you can keep pretending it is not, it's a free country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 AM
 
4,685 posts, read 3,613,254 times
Reputation: 7382
It’s all because the us sees china as a threat that now everyone is bashing on china. When china was weak and poor....and like North Korea today, it was a darling of both the us left and right as some sort of exotic or the good communists. Huawei will grow from this to be dominant and fully independent. There had never been a case where the chinese ever succumb to us pressure or sanction. Dream on. I bet on china. Trump fails again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 03:38 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Itís all because the us sees china as a threat that now everyone is bashing on china. When china was weak and poor....and like North Korea today, it was a darling of both the us left and right as some sort of exotic or the good communists. Huawei will grow from this to be dominant and fully independent. There had never been a case where the chinese ever succumb to us pressure or sanction. Dream on. I bet on china. Trump fails again.
Yup, yup, just go ahead and repeat what comes out of the Global Times. China is invincible, this is still the Chinese Century, etc.

Chinese tech companies don't innovate, they plagirize. The friends I have who work in Chinese tech companies (including Huawei, Oppo, etc) all complain that most of the local staff are only good at being directed, and it's rare that they ever come up with any sort of new, clever innovation, which is why they've been so aggressive about IP theft. Creativity is beaten out of Chinese kids all through their lives and the social structure here is one that rewards conformity. As I said before, I don't hardly think that this spells "the end" for Huawei; that's stupid. But, Huawei isn't going to simply bounce back stronger than before in a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Not sure what you mean by that, but everybody else who is affected "responded", and by a lot.
Is that why their stocks are rebounding?

Quote:
Whatever. Huawei is ahead of everybody else in 5G, this is what this particular case is all about. Of course, you can keep pretending it is not, it's a free country.
I'm not pretending anything, I know what this is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 07:11 AM
 
4,685 posts, read 3,613,254 times
Reputation: 7382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yup, yup, just go ahead and repeat what comes out of the Global Times. China is invincible, this is still the Chinese Century, etc.

Chinese tech companies don't innovate, they plagirize. The friends I have who work in Chinese tech companies (including Huawei, Oppo, etc) all complain that most of the local staff are only good at being directed, and it's rare that they ever come up with any sort of new, clever innovation, which is why they've been so aggressive about IP theft. Creativity is beaten out of Chinese kids all through their lives and the social structure here is one that rewards conformity. As I said before, I don't hardly think that this spells "the end" for Huawei; that's stupid. But, Huawei isn't going to simply bounce back stronger than before in a year or two.
Ok keep drinking the koolaid from trump. For the first 5 months of this year, FDI into China grew by 6.8%. so much for investors leaving China. Those gains came from Singapore, South Korea, Germany and japan, with the us coming in fifth. Trump MAGA fail.....

Also, as China raise tariffs on specific substitute available-goods from the us, it is also lowering tariffs on all the other trading countries. In this way, the Chinese economy is inviting others to invest in China and create import and manufacturing substitution. By reducing its tariffs toward non-us countries, China is indirectly weakening us companies versus their foreign competitors. This kind of trade war tactics is too complicated for trump to understand. The Chinese technocrats who guided China from a poor backwater 30 years ago into an economic superpower today know what they are doing. Xi and his cabinet can run rings around orange man and his idiotic cronies puppies who only know how to bark really loud but have no discipline or substance. Maga not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 07:54 AM
 
1,089 posts, read 478,047 times
Reputation: 739
Huawei is China's state enterprise. Attacks won't kill it because it has unlimited resources and funding. Chips and operating systems are for low end products that will go away in future tech world. They will be replaced by own designs and manufactured system in the meantime. It's probably already done and waiting for releases. The true effect is separation. Huawei will no longer use American products.

Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei was a soldier, probably still is just in a different place. He has own giant research and development group known as Haisi (ocean think), that employs Russian mathematicians, returned chinese scientists from America. You wouldn't think he has leading 5G tech out of copying America, which doesn't have anything alike?

5G will be the future internet. Smartphones and computers will be gone. Everything in the future will be devices (cars, fridges ...) linked by highspeed wireless, with modem chips and AI chips inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 08:28 AM
 
1,783 posts, read 990,559 times
Reputation: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Is that why their stocks are rebounding?


I'm not pretending anything, I know what this is all about.

I already told you why several posts ago. Wasn't it clear?



https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nasda...202431778.html






And, now, there are some additional effects of a likely rate cut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,393 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Huawei is China's state enterprise. Attacks won't kill it because it has unlimited resources and funding. Chips and operating systems are for low end products that will go away in future tech world. They will be replaced by own designs and manufactured system in the meantime. It's probably already done and waiting for releases. The true effect is separation. Huawei will no longer use American products.

Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei was a soldier, probably still is just in a different place. He has own giant research and development group known as Haisi (ocean think), that employs Russian mathematicians, returned chinese scientists from America. You wouldn't think he has leading 5G tech out of copying America, which doesn't have anything alike?

5G will be the future internet. Smartphones and computers will be gone. Everything in the future will be devices (cars, fridges ...) linked by highspeed wireless, with modem chips and AI chips inside.

Why would smartphones and computers be gone? People have said that about e-mail for years, yet it is still the communication means of choice for many people, especially professionals.

Anyway, I tend to agree on the rest. It is a myth that the Chinese do not invent themselves, they have been a country of inventors for thousands of years. The Chinese hold about 1/3 of all 5G patents, obviously they have come up with those things themselves as one can not steal what is not there, yet.

A couple of days ago they said on TV that Huawei and other Chinese smartphone companies are already testing Huawei's new, independent operating system (Hongmeng) that is more than twice as fast as Android already, despite not being finished, yet. Seems they have been working on it for years, although not full-force as there was no need to. But now they are already filing the trademarks for their OS in many countries.

At the end of the day, the ban could work like years ago when Intel was no longer allowed to ship certain supercomputer CPU's to China, so the Chinese developed their own and are now independent.

The opening post seems to have been taken from an article in the Japan Times, known for its anti-Chinese attitude, downplaying Japanese war crimes, etc.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...tum-meet-else/

Anyway, why would Xi not go to the G20 summit in the first place? It is quite obvious that he will attend no matter what, being the head of a major economy. Trump's blackmail attempt is silly, it's like saying, either you breathe in or I will sanction you. And then saying the person breathed in because someone told them to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 478,047 times
Reputation: 739
Why didn’t Chinese invent in tech world? It’s just like you see now, western war disrupt it and it didn’t get a chance in the past.

Why computer smartphone will be gone: with 5G, everything will be on a pair of goggles, no screen, no keyboard. Voice recognition and written transcripts will replace them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top