Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,871 times

Advertisements

Why shouldnt everyone who wants a the millitary pay for it our of their own pocket???
Everyone benefits from a secured country. Not everyone benefits from free college. Not everyone
wants to go to college. Free healthcare? Same as the old heathcare....rationed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The question might be, why don't you want to pay for the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:51 AM

huh? I guess you are ok with us paying more in tariffs to other countries than they pay us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Either taxes go up, or you cut other programs. It could be either/or, and it would be bit of both. It could also be partially funded by alternate taxes like sales tax. Trump is hitting us with massive import taxes, and you seem to be ok with that.

Massive military spending seems like an obvious option. We are spending more than twice compared to only 16 years ago, and there is simply no justification for it.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Just borrow more, or print more worthless dollars. Both the Republicans, and the Democrats seem perfectly fine with that.
I've asked many times that since we have no problem just printing money for all sorts of things, why is it that we have to pay for health care?

It's OK to not pay for the military but it's wrong to not pay for health care? We can just print to kill tens of thousands needlessly but we need to pay for making people healthy.

I know what that is telling me.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Why shouldnt everyone pay for the millitary???
Everyone benefits from a secured country. Not everyone benefits from free college. Not everyone
We are running trillion dollar deficits, so its not like we are paying for the military now.

Besides, please dont pretend someone suggested we should not have a military at all. We could spend less than half of what we spend now, and our country would be just as secure as it is now.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
to fund free healthcare and college, taxes would have to drastically go up on the middle class. Forget about the line "make the rich pay for it". There are not enough of the 1% to fund everything free for the 99%.

So...what beloved social programs would you be willing to cut to fund free health care and college?
For healthcare, just divert the money that we are paying to 3rd parties that add no value. Many Americans are paying 10's of thousands of dollars in premiums, copays and work-benefits (everything your work subsidizes is part of YOUR compensation) that all goes to companies that add no value.

For college, it actually benefits society and will make us more competitive on the global labor market, where we are falling behind.

As for what to cut:
1. Handouts to corporate entities
2. War budget
3. Do what Trump 'says' and actually charge companies (not just other countries) for the services we provide them, such as transportation, military protection, etc...

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
huh? I guess you are ok with us paying more in tariffs to other countries than they pay us.
We don't pay tariffs to other countries. We pay it to the US Government.

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Why shouldnt everyone who wants a the millitary pay for it our of their own pocket???
Everyone won't go to college. This thread is nothing but creating bogus arguments. Nobody is paying for the military. I asked why we are not, I didn't ask for you to avoid the question.

so you target the military....why that specifically?

Quote:
We are running trillion dollar deficits, so its not like we are paying for it now.

We could spend less than half of what we spend now, and our country would be just as secure as it is now.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:56 AM

I NEVER said cut the military. I am asking others why they target the military to cut for other programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Everyone won't go to college. This thread is nothing but creating bogus arguments. Nobody is paying for the military. I asked why we are not, I didn't ask for you to avoid the question.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 AM

Do you know how tarrifs work???

Quote:
We don't pay tariffs to other countries. We pay it to the US Government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies