U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM

4,323 posts, read 881,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. And for their parents to take them back to the country they belong to.

In particular, the pudgiest people I encounter in the Boston area are Central Americans. They have the extremely bad habit of drinking sugary sodas instead of water. All of them will become diabetics.
I think it is time to change your tagline of "Devout Atheist Humanist".

This is not how a humanist thinks and acts.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 PM

22,894 posts, read 16,269,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not the point of what this topic is about. Feeding kids at school 3 meals on the taxpayer dime is excessive. Why are these parents having kids they can't afford to feed in the first place? Sick of paying for other people's irresponsible behavior.
That's not the point of this thread.

This thread is about summer lunch programs.

Is feeding some kids lunch for two months excessive?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:17 PM

7,578 posts, read 2,226,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Indeed.

Considering what a drop in the bucket, cost-wise, these programs represent, it hardly seems something for people to rail against, but it seems that there are some who simply cannot let pass an opportunity to condemn some act of beneficence.

Sad.
Post some financials, thanks.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:26 PM

14,959 posts, read 13,332,803 times
Were you folks now complaining about kids getting free meals complaining about President Bush invading Iraq? That war has cost you taxpayers over $1 trillion. Surely, spending money on kids amounts to much less.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:27 PM

11,431 posts, read 8,435,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
You do not know what those kids lives will be like or who they will become. I remember going to school and my mother wanted me to eat the food they made in the morning because she had to go to work. I never liked the food at all nor i really ate any.

it is the same principal. We are talking about every single kid within the radius of a public school. That is a lot of children, and for those children it is something simple to get through the days. The same programs are also extended to daycare companies.

You do not like the program. Then why not just go and stand in a busy traffic lane. One less cry-baby to feed.
Was your mom paying for it or did she expect the taxpayers to feed you?

In my district for the summer schedule the feds buy the food, the local tax payer pays for the space, employees to prepare serve and clean up.

Nobody wants kids to go hungry.

But if we need to provide meals and daycare so moms can work, I question why are people having kids they do not have the time nor inclination to care for?

Kids require time and money. If you do not have that, why expect the rest of us to provide for them?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:28 PM

7,578 posts, read 2,226,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Were you folks now complaining about kids getting free meals complaining about President Bush invading Iraq? That war has cost you taxpayers over $1 trillion.
Why don't you start a thread about that and invite people over for a discussion?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM

4,614 posts, read 1,218,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Were you folks now complaining about kids getting free meals complaining about President Bush invading Iraq? That war has cost you taxpayers over $1 trillion. Surely, spending money on kids amounts to much less.
Yes, as a matter of fact I was and still do. I complain about all the $ the government spends unnecessarily, no matter the agency or program.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM

14,959 posts, read 13,332,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why don't you go stand in a busy traffic lane and keep crying over the bleeding heart liberal need to feed the kids of irresponsible adults? Why don't you seek out solutions to end this madness instead? I have fed myself and my family my entire life we never took or asked for handouts and only had kids we could afford to feed ourselves. There is a lesson to be learned here.
Yet, for all I know you would support President Trump, if he decided to invade Iran, even though doing so would cost over a $trillion.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,113,390 times
How horrible that there are so many who begrudge the necessities of life to those less fortunate. How do they sleep at night?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 PM

50,618 posts, read 26,709,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I admit there's a disconnect between myself and what poverty really looks like. But the people who have slipped - and it's mostly middle class with a lot of folks going from middle class to the lowest level of middle class - aren't getting any help because they don't qualify for it. I'm more concerned about those people than I am with a family of four who has two kids in school getting three meals a day. Their subsidized food money is going toward feeding two adults, not a family of four.

Are you suggesting that even feeding kids at school breakfast and lunch - there still wouldn't be enough money to feed kids dinner at home? I'm not being a wiseguy, it's a genuine question.
It’s just that things are bad. Wages are no longer keeping up with the COL. People are effin broke.

The American people have a inadvertently screwed themselves by letting the corporatists whittle away at their pay and benefits, and now they’re screwed.

Look at what happened after the last massive corporate tax cut. They handed out crumbs in the form of one time bonuses and they’ve put the rest into stock buybacks. Americans are too stupid to see that they’re being played for fools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
That was uncalled for. Yes, I did walk to school every day. There were no school buses for my area. I lived less than a mile but more than a half mile from the schools I attended. I grew up eating casseroles, horse meat and duck, venison, rabbit, etc. We had chickens and a vegetable garden and fruit trees. White folks can be poor, too.
White folks make up the overwhelming majority of poor on this country. Who in the hell didn’t know that?

What? You assumed that I naturally associate prosperity with being white? Nope. Never have. I know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Does anyone work?

Did the whole county lose their jobs or is this a bigger issue regarding lack of planning to make an income?
You haven’t noticed how expensive everything has become, and yet wages are in the toilet? Did that escape you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
96% of Americans ages 18-29 and 92% of Americans ages 30-49 own a smart phone.

Can all the libs in this thread explain how times are so tough and children are going to bed hungry??
A smart phone hasn’t been a luxury for over 10 years if not longer. You even need a cell phone or I apply for unemployment in many states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies