U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 12:56 PM

14,954 posts, read 13,328,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Many blue-collared wages are in the toilet due to the millions of cheap, illegals taking those jobs. Bleeding hearts don't want to address that issue though.
Why don't Republicans enforce laws banning employers from hiring undocumented aliens? Are they taking campaign money from those employers?

Old 06-18-2019, 01:04 PM

50,578 posts, read 26,698,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So you just stick your head in the toilet and stay there? KNow that the job you have will never get any better?

Or do you reassess and reexamine and figure out how to make it better for yourself?

Opportunities are abundant in this country. Find one. Seek out training. Go back to school. Go to adult ed. Learn a skill. Figure it out. Move to an area with more jobs.

Or you could live the next 30 years complaining how rough you have it.

Responsibility. Is. A. Choice.
Man, that bootstrap nonsense is unbelievably trite. Don’t you folks have a new spiel yet? You think we have all these struggling people in this country because they’re all irresponsible?

Jeezus Christ. You’re beyond disconnected. You’re in total oblivion to your surroundings.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:07 PM

7,578 posts, read 2,225,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Man, that bootstrap nonsense is unbelievably trite. Don’t you folks have a new spiel yet? You think we have all these struggling people in this country because they’re all irresponsible?

Jeezus Christ. You’re beyond disconnected. You’re in total oblivion to your surroundings.
Hardly.

People need to figure it out how to live their lives.

It's called being a grownup.

Not beyond disconnected. Seen people succeed and seen people fail.

Do you WANT to be a failure? Are you advocated that people learn no skills and do nothing for 30 years?

Old 06-18-2019, 01:08 PM

21,874 posts, read 21,715,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
How horrible that there are so many who begrudge the necessities of life to those less fortunate. How do they sleep at night?
Enlighten me on how providing federally funded lunches at designated areas through private non profit organizations to every child under the age of 18 through the summer months is a necessity and which ones are less fortunate.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:19 PM

11,428 posts, read 8,433,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
So how many of us on this thread, or on CD in general, do you think grew up in the status of "kid [that no one has] time nor inclination to care for" ?

One right here

I guess I shouldn't be alive right now. Damn me for being born- it WAS my choice after all
I was told by the kids pediatrician years ago if his practice relied on planned for kids, he would have no practice.

Sorry for your circumstances.

Birth control has been available since the late 50's. People should use it.

If one is old enough to multiply they should be old enough to add.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:23 PM

1,631 posts, read 963,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
I was also a low income kid in the 60's. We got free lunch. It was embarrassing because we were the only kids in our school poor enough to qualify to get a free lunch.

I too learned that nothing is really free. First you have to be judged and humiliated because you need help.
I was humiliated, too, to be serving my classmates and other classes in line for lunch. Then, when they went out for recess after lunch, I had mine. It was isolating and I was bullied. We were a blended family and I was the redheaded stepchild in the middle of two stepsisters and two half sisters. They didn’t have to serve lunch.

But, back to the subject. I disagree with feeding everyone with our taxes. I do not begrudge those who through no fault of their own, and I mean kids from poor families or those injured in wars or accidents or who are disabled from birth. I definitely think this is a wise use of our taxes.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM

3,213 posts, read 2,082,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why don't Republicans enforce laws banning employers from hiring undocumented aliens? Are they taking campaign money from those employers?

Republicans want the money and the DEMs want the votes. This country is doomed.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM

14,695 posts, read 8,480,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Good point you bring up here. When I heard the radio add it said all you have to do is download an app put in your zip code and text the word "food" or "comida" Spanish for food. Hmmm
What, legal residents aren't allowed to speak Spanish? That's news to me.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:33 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,613,293 times
Quote:
You oughta see the mess left behind when your tax dollars went to feed the people in Iraq.

Funny how I heard few if any complaints about THAT waste of money. I only hear that stuff when Americans get fed. Go figure.
There's also possibly an interest that benefits besides the hungry kids - like agricultural interests. That's why SNAP is administered by the USDA.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:14 PM

20,643 posts, read 10,026,323 times
Quote:
It’s just that things are bad. Wages are no longer keeping up with the COL. People are effin broke.

The American people have a inadvertently screwed themselves by letting the corporatists whittle away at their pay and benefits, and now they’re screwed.

Look at what happened after the last massive corporate tax cut. They handed out crumbs in the form of one time bonuses and they’ve put the rest into stock buybacks. Americans are too stupid to see that they’re being played for fools.
Can't argue with you there. It's one of the reasons I'm so ticked about illegals getting benefits while we have people living in tents on the street, and people looking to migrate legally but having to wait their turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies