Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 02:22 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

No. If the parent can't afford to feed their kids, that's neglect. Take the kids away. Put them up for adoption with a family who can actually take care of them.

If you keep giving handouts to people, they will keep abusing the system.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:25 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Here we go again refuting the lies by the liberal left. It has been the Republicans who have submitted bills for e-verify but it was the Democrats who voted them down. Trump has had e-verify in his last two budgets. I surmise the same thing happened. Also, Trump re-instated the work place raids discontinued under Obama. There have been a few cases of late where employers were held accountable for hiring illegal aliens so stop the lies that it's Trump and the Republicans who don't want to go after the employers.

No such thing as an undocumented alien either. They are illegal aliens.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I really dont think the complaint is about feeding hungry children.
The complaint is, first its not feeding hungry children. I dont understand why people want to pretend or convince others there are hordes hungry kids who do not have food at home and they will literally starve with out this free lunch. Where its a nice thing, is it a necessity, is it actually alleviating hunger. Second, it is a duplicate program. There are food stamps, food banks, and other non profit groups that provide those in need with free food. So is it a necessity, it it actually alleviating hunger.
When you donate to a charity do you consider what the charity is accomplishing, who they are helping, how strong the need is, how much of the donations are actually being used to help others.

People are concerned with the US deficit, with government spending and increased taxes. Should we not begin to eliminate federal spending? Not just in social programs but in all federal spending but we have to begin somewhere, unnecessary, wasteful, redundant, outdated programs is a place to start. I believe there are many other federally funded programs that should be at the top of the list but why scold people for speaking out against waste.

There ARE hungry kids out there. You don't see them, that's all. They are there, and it should be a concern of everyone in this country. We have so much, we do this because we should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If any kid in this country is starving it is absolutely because of neglect. No other reason for a kid to be starving.

This program is wasteful and a duplication.

If I agree a child is hungry because of neglect, it does NOT change the need to see them fed. In fact, it makes it that much MORE important simply because they need to know SOMEBODY is looking out for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If you can't feed em then don't breed em. It's really that simple.

For heaven's sake--they are already here. We ignore them because it offends your sense of family planning? Get over yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
thank you. some of these posters act as if being hungry means you are minutes from a horrible death by starvation

A child shouldn't suffer from hunger. Full stop. I don't know if you've ever gone hungry for an extended period. You can't concentrate. You tend to fall asleep in class or work. And we don't need to let children go hungry. We can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Let me rephrase your question. Why should the taxpayer have to suffer for the poor choices of adult parents? Ever heard of the term "enabling"?

Yes, and I don't care. I will ALWAYS err on the side of feeding a hungry child. Hunger is something that we can actually do something about. We can help. Not everyone is "deserving." I don't think that's a reason to not do what we should. Don't like it? Move to a country that doesn't make efforts to feed hungry children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yes. And for their parents to take them back to the country they belong to.

In particular, the pudgiest people I encounter in the Boston area are Central Americans. They have the extremely bad habit of drinking sugary sodas instead of water. All of them will become diabetics.

I do not understand how so many people have never experienced hungry people. I really don't. I have worked for several non-profits, and I have lived on the margins myself. Hunger is real. And I'm not talking about the kind that my kids have after school/before dinner. I'm talking about having to make that last 2 cups of rice last a week. It's hard to live like that. A lot of us have been there. I don't want others to be there.

Quote:
Enlighten me on how providing federally funded lunches at designated areas through private non profit organizations to every child under the age of 18 through the summer months is a necessity and which ones are less fortunate.

Again, just because you don't experience hunger and don't see hungry children doesn't mean they are not there. They are. Some kids who wouldn't normally qualify for free lunch are going to benefit. That doesn't add a lot to the total cost of the program. Some things we do because they are morally and ethically right.

I do wonder how many of you are Christian. Doesn't Jesus want you to care for others? I don't recall him asking for proof of need. I thought that generosity and charity were a thing in the Xtian world...

Old 06-18-2019, 02:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I can think of many things far worse done with tax dollars than feeding hungry children.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. If the parent can't afford to feed their kids, that's neglect. Take the kids away. Put them up for adoption with a family who can actually take care of them.

If you keep giving handouts to people, they will keep abusing the system.
Give them to what families?

Again, the family they come from is broke!!! The other families are broke too. There aren’t enough families to take in more poor children. Americans are fricken broke. Look around you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Hardly.

People need to figure it out how to live their lives.

It's called being a grownup.

Not beyond disconnected. Seen people succeed and seen people fail.

Do you WANT to be a failure? Are you advocated that people learn no skills and do nothing for 30 years?
You’re disconnected. Simple as that. And you lack empathy.

Quote:
Enlighten me on how providing federally funded lunches at designated areas through private non profit organizations to every child under the age of 18 through the summer months is a necessity and which ones are less fortunate.
Yep. It’s absolutely necessary.

When you tell me how spending 6 trillion on dumb wars was necessary, I’ll tell you why spending money on food for the poor is necessary.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:37 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I was told by the kids pediatrician years ago if his practice relied on planned for kids, he would have no practice.

Sorry for your circumstances.

Birth control has been available since the late 50's. People should use it.

If one is old enough to multiply they should be old enough to add.
I think in my, as well as many, cases no one realizes they hate being a parent until they are one. Also, in my case, do not realize they are psychotic and addicts until after they had kids.

Is it just completely inconceivable that someone can be married, happy, educated, "normal', choose to have kids, then perhaps has an accident and get addicted to the opioids prescribed? or maybe husband dies, and mom has never worked/ has no skills?

Why would I even need to explain this, honestly?

Humans make mistakes. Unfortunately, a mistake is not always spilling the milk, or following too closely behind the car in front.

The result of that mistake may be a whole other human being, who is a child of God/Mother Nature, and is here for a reason. Not to be used as a pawn or political statement.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:37 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,125 times
hey better than swipin' dat linc card for some Cheetos and purple drink

Old 06-18-2019, 02:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Give them to what families?

Again, the family they come from is broke!!! The other families are broke too. There aren’t enough families to take in more poor children. Americans are fricken broke. Look around you.

You’re disconnected. Simple as that. And you lack empathy. .
Uh. No.

I actually WANT that family to get it together and act as an example for their kids, who then grow up knowing that mom and dad worked their as--es off, made tough choices and helped the family get ahead.

Then, you know what the children do? Look to the future, plan ahead and are able to support themselves. Because mom and dad showed them it's possible.

Stop perpetuating poverty. Enough is enough.

Do you know the common denominator that is in everyone who is making excuses? They are absolving themselves of responsibility. Stop complaining and start DOING.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Are we paying for schools or restaurants?

What I’m seeing here is that when parents neglect their responsibility, no matter what that involves, the taxpayer is expected to provide.

How about sterilizing the parents before feeding the neglected children? We spay and neuter feral cats so they don’t overbreed, don’t we?

Old 06-18-2019, 03:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24
Did I say “lying?”

I said “faux concern.”

Clearly I touched a nerve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
faux concern = false concern.

yep, you did accuse him of lying.
I missed this earlier. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies