U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 AM

23,070 posts, read 12,285,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Itís offered like this so that the real recipients this is meant for , the low income and or illegals donít stand out. This way anyone can get the freebies and folks wonít get all worked up as much because their kids can go too.
Itís all ridiculous. Feed your own kids people.
My experience with families who need & use the subsidized lunches/breakfasts at school, illegals don't sign up for it. They don't want to bring attention to themselves.

And for many who aren't 'illegals' but need assistance, often it was a struggle to get these parents to apply for the free meals. They were embarrassed. Teachers had to fight for the kids to get the nutrition they need.

Of course parents should be the providers for the kids. But reality -- some folks are poor. They may have been born into poverty, may have had some bad luck. They work hard to provide but the amt. of food/resources they can provide for their families are limited.

If we don't help the kids with basic needs -- we just keep them in the poverty loop.

I'm not a huge fan of social programs but if we don't apply some resources to lift some people up -- those families just stay in poverty.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:26 AM

22,889 posts, read 16,262,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The OP asked the question as to why low income parents who already receive food stamps based on the number of family members also need this service and no one has provided an answer. Makes me think this is a backhanded way of increasing those entitlements, which *hopefully* would be adequate on their own.
The OP assumed that those parents already receive SNAP.

Didnít offer any proof so what reason is there to acknowledge such an assumption?

I have no issue with these programs.
They provide structure and get the kids out of the house during the summer and into the recreation centers and the libraries.
Itís a very good thing.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:30 AM

9,926 posts, read 8,069,677 times
I rather like the program in lieu of other benefits.

100% chance the money is actually used for food.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:42 AM

45,786 posts, read 34,024,908 times
Since when ?

The Summer Food Program was created by Congress in 1968 to provide funding for qualified organizations to serve nutritious meals to low income children when school is not in session. It is funded by the USDA.

The Oregon organization is a 5013c and solicits private donations, too.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 AM

11,428 posts, read 8,431,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
My experience with families who need & use the subsidized lunches/breakfasts at school, illegals don't sign up for it. They don't want to bring attention to themselves.

And for many who aren't 'illegals' but need assistance, often it was a struggle to get these parents to apply for the free meals. They were embarrassed. Teachers had to fight for the kids to get the nutrition they need.

Of course parents should be the providers for the kids. But reality -- some folks are poor. They may have been born into poverty, may have had some bad luck. They work hard to provide but the amt. of food/resources they can provide for their families are limited.

If we don't help the kids with basic needs -- we just keep them in the poverty loop.

I'm not a huge fan of social programs but if we don't apply some resources to lift some people up -- those families just stay in poverty.
That was true 25 years ago.

School districts are required to verify 3% or 3000 reduced and free lunch applications, whichever is less. All the school does is send a letter asking the applicant to verify their income. The only thing that happens if no verification is provided is the kid doesn't get free lunch.

The economically disadvantaged number all the governments use comes from the number of kids getting reduced or free lunch. Schools and local governments would love that number to go even higher because it brings additional funding.

In the summers my ISD provides breakfast and lunch to anyone 18 and under who walks through the door. No questions asked. They are so concerned about the kids that cannot get to the school, they are buying food trucks.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:58 AM

5,230 posts, read 3,751,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
In my area, they will feed any adults that arrive with children, no questions asked.
The local news replayed the story for weeks. The school has to spend x amount of $ to make an equel or greater claim next year. The sob story is “these children may not eat for the rest of the day”.. whats next, supper? Beds?
Used to work for a Parks and Rec Dept in TN. This program stopped at our outdoor pool every day during the week and fed kids up to the age of 18 for free. My staff spent an hour after every lunch period cleaning up the mess that was left over. Unopened individual cartons of milk. Fruit with one bite taken out. Half eaten sandwiches or hot dogs. It was a mess. Every day the same thing. Half the food was wasted and left laying all over the deck. Nasty waste of money.

ETA: Went out to Section 8 housing one morning as a favor to a colleague, to hand out free bicycle helmets to kids. Spent some time fitting the kids and getting them decked out, and sometime late in the morning became aware of the fact that parents were suddenly in a hurry to get their kids through the process. When the bus drove up and started setting up tables I realized what was going on. Free lunches were being served. As I finished up and headed back to my truck I saw a big sign posted across the door front of another building. They were giving out free shoes and purses beginning at 2.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:02 AM

50,540 posts, read 26,688,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
That Interesting. I was a kid in the 80's and never received a free meal nor did anyone I know. Oh, and we were also low income.
Maybe you were a kid on Mars. In the United States on Earth, it was available in every city and town.

The Special Food Service Program For Children was created in 1968 to feed children during the summer months. Went on for decades. It was a codicil to the NSLA (the school lunch program) which Truman created because so damn many boys had been rejected for military service due to malnutrition.

Go figure. When America wants to make sure that it can wage wars effectively, gotta make sure everyone is well fed. But take out the war component, and you folks start crying like babies.

If you were low income and didnít get the free lunches, thatís your problem. Others did get the food, including people that you knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I was a low income kid in the 60s and we didnít get free breakfasts or lunches. In the 6th grade, I was able to serve lunch and got a free meal that way. I learned nothing is free and you need to work for it even a child.
Yeah, sure. You also walked to school during blizzards in flip flops except you had to cross Mt Everest each way with no help from a Sherpa.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:04 AM

2,520 posts, read 827,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This country did a near identical summer program for years until the mid 80ís.

Itís a good program. If I have to pay for wars, then you can pay for summer food programs. Stop crying
Wow. Found something we're in agreement with.

The cost is comparatively low, and of all the programs we spend tax money on, this should be at the top of the list of keepers. There are ****ty parents everywhere, and not all of them are low-income and struggling to put food in the table.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 AM

35,163 posts, read 32,136,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
That Interesting. I was a kid in the 80's and never received a free meal nor did anyone I know. Oh, and we were also low income.
It's called dignity. You have some. With programs like this they are counting on most people being too ashamed to use it.

In the meantime all this free/cheap food has us leading the planet with obesity.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:18 AM

20,635 posts, read 10,017,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I don't understand this. I don't even get why schools offer free breakfast. And I'd prefer schools didn't offer hot lunches. A sandwich or salad is adequate.

A parent doesn't feed their child? They are negligent.
Breakfast?! Schools serve free breakfast, lunches - and now dinner is the new trend. WTH are the parents doing to parent?

Next we'll see a program to have other family members join their kids for the free dinners. It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies