U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,459,826 times

Advertisements

A couple fellow "lunch ladies" from the high school cafeteria where I work participate in this program in a neighboring district during the summer (they receive their regular pay rate...they don't do it for free). Not only do they have to prepare and serve the food, they also have to "monitor" to make sure the adults don't eat all the food off the kids trays.

In our small borough, the Salvation Army provide free daily lunch for the kids.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 AM

22,889 posts, read 16,262,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
What do you think we could do with all that money Desertdetroiter? All the money we spend on needless wars. All the money we spend on countries that hate our guts and who would happily murder us if they thought they could get away with it. All the money we spend feeding, housing, clothing, educating, medicating, incarcerating, defending illegals. All the money we spend on special interests and politicians pet projects. All the money we spend on counter terrorism. All the money we spend defending nations who smugly point to their social safety nets as being better than ours. All the money we spend...................and spend............

What could we do with our own money for our own people if we didn't keep squandering it away? Pie in the sky thinking.
This program is a perfect example of what *we* could do.
But people don’t seem to approve of spending money on Americans either, despite all of the cries of “what about the poor citizens in this country.”

This is why some of us know better than to take all of that faux concern seriously.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM

5,228 posts, read 3,751,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Breakfast?! Schools serve free breakfast, lunches - and now dinner is the new trend. WTH are the parents doing to parent?

Next we'll see a program to have other family members join their kids for the free dinners. It's ridiculous.
There are also school districts that ask kids in need to bring a backpack to school with them on Fridays. Teachers fill the pack with food to get the kid/family through the weekend.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:31 AM

20,630 posts, read 10,017,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
But people don’t seem to approve of spending money on Americans either, despite all of the cries of “what about the poor citizens in this country.”

This is why some of us know better than to take all of that faux concern seriously.
So in your mind, if I disagree with feeding students three meals a day, I'm lying when I say I'd rather see our money going toward the needs of Americans than being sent all over the world?

Very narrow-minded 'all or nothing' kind of thinking on your part.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 AM

3,582 posts, read 5,308,389 times
Quote:
The OP assumed that those parents already receive SNAP.

Didn’t offer any proof so what reason is there to acknowledge such an assumption?

I have no issue with these programs.
They provide structure and get the kids out of the house during the summer and into the recreation centers and the libraries.
It’s a very good thing.

Not sure how it is in your state but if the family is deemed low income they will qualify for SNAP as long as they have a job or are looking for a job. In Texas if a family of 4 makes less than $41,424 then they qualify and they are taken care of and therefore should have no need for these services. I guess you could argue that families of 4 making $42,000 should get something but I would counter argue that there has to be a cut off somewhere and people above a certain income have to live within their means.

Bottom line is there should be no duplication of benefits, which is inherently wasteful and not something any government program should do. More so that these are for entitlements which are not the same as rights.

https://yourtexasbenefits.hhsc.texas.gov/programs/snap

Last edited by verybadgnome; 06-18-2019 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 AM

20,630 posts, read 10,017,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
There are also school districts that ask kids in need to bring a backpack to school with them on Fridays. Teachers fill the pack with food to get the kid/family through the weekend.
If teachers want to dig in their own pocket to do this, that's their business and I don't have a problem with it.

It's the breakfast and dinner thing I don't get. Eggs are cheap and quick to make. Dinner should be at home with the family. I just don't get it.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 AM

3,582 posts, read 5,308,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
True. Just hasn't happened before.

We knew a family whose kids were after hungry because mom decided she couldn't be bothered to shop for groceries. Somehow she had time to grab a bite for herself when she was out, though. We gave them food once and the mom went ape--- Threatened to call the cops. Too bad we weren't aware of the summer food program.

That is more of a problem for child protective services than a school lunch program.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 AM

24,761 posts, read 9,647,370 times
Q. Since when are taxpayers on the hook to feed every kid/teen all summer?

A. Section 3, Article 7, Paragraph 9 of the Social Contract. For future reference it's right under the part of the SC that says you must kill children in Yemen via drone strike with your tax dollars.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 AM

5,228 posts, read 3,751,518 times
Quote:

I get what you're saying TigerLily. People whine about helping other countries and then whine when we spend the money here at home.

I will say this though - I don't have a problem will helping people. At all. But there is "something" that just irks the crap out of me. I work hard - I work VERY hard for what I have - and just..............handing so much to so many and requiring so little from them in return just pisses me off.

It just does.

There should be something............volunteer hours...........required work hours............time frames for free stuff.............something..............some kind of effort on the part of those who receive. I don't have time to expand on it, but I think you understand where I'm headed with this.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM

45,781 posts, read 34,024,908 times
There are numerous community- based Backpacking Programs throughout the US. The purpose is to provide children with non- perishable food items over the weekend and school holidays.

Local 5013c orgs raise funds and seek corporate sponsorships. Lightweight microwavable Mac and Cheese is the most common food in the pack.

The do- gooders tend to assume all children receiving reduced or no cost meals at school come from food insecure homes. Food insecurity is not the same thing as hunger. It is imperative to suspend judgment when doing charitable work. At the end of the day, it is not the children’s fault that their parents cannot or will not provide for them.

For some children it becomes a learned way of life- generational poverty. . For others, they will do everything possible to avoid being in this situation, as adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies