U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM

29,770 posts, read 16,452,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Q. Since when are taxpayers on the hook to feed every kid/teen all summer?

A. Section 3, Article 7, Paragraph 9 of the Social Contract. For future reference it's right under the part of the SC that says you must kill children in Yemen via drone strike with your tax dollars.
And lest we forget:
Quote:
Stahl asked: “We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that’s more children than died in Hiroshima. And – and you know, is the price worth it?”

Madeleine Albright replied, “I think this is a very hard choice, but the price – we think the price is worth it.”
https://rare.us/rare-politics/rememb...ives-mattered/
Yeah the same benvolent govt that robs us to feed the "poor"

Old 06-18-2019, 07:45 AM

45,897 posts, read 34,076,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I get what you're saying TigerLily. People whine about helping other countries and then whine when we spend the money here at home.

I will say this though - I don't have a problem will helping people. At all. But there is "something" that just irks the crap out of me. I work hard - I work VERY hard for what I have - and just..............handing so much to so many and requiring so little from them in return just pisses me off.

It just does.

There should be something............volunteer hours...........required work hours............time frames for free stuff.............something..............some kind of effort on the part of those who receive. I don't have time to expand on it, but I think you understand where I'm headed with this.
Most of the recipients are children.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 AM

24,038 posts, read 11,947,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I heard on the radio today there's a program to give free breakfast and lunch to anyone 18 and under all summer long. The program is called Summer Food Service Program and the part that really got my attention was it stated there was no paperwork or eligibility requirements at all, so even middle or upper middle class kids, teens qualify.

Am I crazy or does this sound insane? Why am I paying for other kids breakfast and lunch everyday all summer long? What is all this nonsense about kids starving? Even if you are low income there's food stamps to cover that! Do people really believe there's that many adults that would let their kids starve if it weren't for programs like this?

And how exactly are they going to determine who's over 18? When did it become the taxpayers responsibility to start feeding every kid and teen in this country?

The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is available in hundreds of communities throughout Oregon, offering free meals and snacks to all kids ages 1-18. Community summer meal programs are open to all families without paperwork or signing up – kids can just drop in. Many programs also offer fun activities so kids can stay active and keep learning.

https://www.summerfoodoregon.org
It’s called the village raising the children. A liberal wet dream come true. They want a dependent class to keep them in office.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM

26,775 posts, read 19,074,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Since when ?

The Summer Food Program was created by Congress in 1968 to provide funding for qualified organizations to serve nutritious meals to low income children when school is not in session. It is funded by the USDA.

The Oregon organization is a 5013c and solicits private donations, too.
bolded so you can see that you're answering a question different than the one asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I heard on the radio today there's a program to give free breakfast and lunch to anyone 18 and under all summer long.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 AM

22,896 posts, read 16,281,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Not sure how it is in your state but if the family is deemed low income they will qualify for SNAP as long as they have a job or are looking for a job. In Texas if a family of 4 makes less than $41,424 then they qualify and they are taken care of and therefore should have no need for these services. I guess you could argue that families of 4 making $42,000 should get something but I would counter argue that there has to be a cut off somewhere and people above a certain income have to live within their means.

Bottom line is there should be no duplication of benefits, which is inherently wasteful and not something any government program should do. More so that these are for entitlements which are not the same as rights.

https://yourtexasbenefits.hhsc.texas.gov/programs/snap
Still not proof that all of the people using this program receive SNAP.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 AM

5,297 posts, read 1,066,588 times
Look, I am all for people taking care of their own kids, working to pay for their own needs.

BUT
We have sorry parents who are not going to. They need to be made accountable, but in the meanwhile, children should not have to do without because of said sorry parent.
Yes, there is too much unnecessary negligence on the part of some parents because they know "free" stuff is available and they abuse the system. It happens all the time.

I certainly don't know the answer nor the solution, but there needs to be investigation into the prevalent abuse of these types of programs because we know they are many, but I just can't see not providing for kids in need in the meantime.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 AM

3,220 posts, read 2,085,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This country did a near identical summer program for years until the mid 80’s.

It’s a good program. If I have to pay for wars, then you can pay for summer food programs. Stop crying
Well you're paying for both wars and summer food programs. You don't get to choose how your tax money is spent.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,646,551 times
The schools feed the kids
Not the parents
If school is out for summer -do the parents feed them? No
When school is in session -when they get home from school -do the parents feed them? No
This is true -how do I know ?
It’s where I came from

Old 06-18-2019, 08:03 AM

21,942 posts, read 21,738,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
The OP asked the question as to why low income parents who already receive food stamps based on the number of family members also need this service and no one has provided an answer. Makes me think this is a backhanded way of increasing those entitlements, which *hopefully* would be adequate on their own.
Well they don't. At least not in my area. And it is not just low income parents. This "kids will starve during the summer because the only food they get is school lunch" is a bunch of horse manure. The only way that is true is if the parents are unfit and willfully neglect their children in which case the kids should be removed from the home. In addition to FS I'd say 80% of the churches run food banks in addition to non religious groups. I have gotten food from pantry from people who get it regularly and dont want all the food. When my gkid was playing football the coach pushed that food on them at every practice. Because we live in a poverty area in elementary school everyone got free breakfast and lunch regardless of income.

Now I dont really have a problem with giving out free food, that is money better spent than on other things but when people claim kids with starve with out it.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 AM

45,897 posts, read 34,076,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Used to work for a Parks and Rec Dept in TN. This program stopped at our outdoor pool every day during the week and fed kids up to the age of 18 for free. My staff spent an hour after every lunch period cleaning up the mess that was left over. Unopened individual cartons of milk. Fruit with one bite taken out. Half eaten sandwiches or hot dogs. It was a mess. Every day the same thing. Half the food was wasted and left laying all over the deck. Nasty waste of money.

ETA: Went out to Section 8 housing one morning as a favor to a colleague, to hand out free bicycle helmets to kids. Spent some time fitting the kids and getting them decked out, and sometime late in the morning became aware of the fact that parents were suddenly in a hurry to get their kids through the process. When the bus drove up and started setting up tables I realized what was going on. Free lunches were being served. As I finished up and headed back to my truck I saw a big sign posted across the door front of another building. They were giving out free shoes and purses beginning at 2.
Huge diff between “ food insecurity” and hunger.

Sad that the sponsors did not pursue the opportunity to teach the children to clean up after themselves.

I am aware of private 5013c orgs that distribute gently used and donated new shoes and backpacks to those who show.

My community has a long time Giving Day once a year. Used coats, hats, mittens and toys are donated. Every family receives a box of food and gift certificates. It’s a massive initiative operated by volunteers, service orgs and students in need of community service hours. All families eligible for in district free school/ reduced cost meals are eligible to receive. The early bird catches the worm. People begin to line up at 4:00 AM, hours before the doors open.

I was stunned to observe how most arrived in cars newer than my own. I was more stunned observing how many carried Starbucks cups and took turns going back for refills. Most adults and many children were overweight/ obese.

I later enquired of the lead organizer, what’s up with this and was told charity was about giving, not judging.

This is why I am an on again/ off again volunteer for many organizations. I am often challenged to suspend judgment and when it bubbles up, I know it’s time to move onto another volunteer gig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies