U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,873,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How much of that food is tossed in the trash each day?

Less than what is wasted by government to DoD contractors....

But at my daughter's school about 35% of the children are from poverty stricken homes. My daughter loves their breakfasts in particular. She is supposed to eat breakfast at home but often tells me she'd rather eat at school (they have "mini cinnamon rolls" lol - stuff I'd never let her eat at home for breakfast, all the kids at her school love breakfast. I can't imaging them wasting any of it because it is a bunch of sugary crap IMO but I do let her eat them once a week).

She hates their lunches because it is "bag food" according to her - basically the same crap I ate in elementary school (I qualified for free lunch when I was a kid - stuff was disgusting). So if she forgets to bring her lunch, she'll just get milk, juice (if offered) and fruit cups to tide her over. She also has a box of snacks I send for her to eat in class once a month from Costco and she'll just eat an extra snack in the afternoon, usually cheese and some sort of protein snack (trail mix or a low sodium beef jerky).

Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 AM

1,631 posts, read 963,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Maybe you were a kid on Mars. In the United States on Earth, it was available in every city and town.

The Special Food Service Program For Children was created in 1968 to feed children during the summer months. Went on for decades. It was a codicil to the NSLA (the school lunch program) which Truman created because so damn many boys had been rejected for military service due to malnutrition.

Go figure. When America wants to make sure that it can wage wars effectively, gotta make sure everyone is well fed. But take out the war component, and you folks start crying like babies.

If you were low income and didn’t get the free lunches, that’s your problem. Others did get the food, including people that you knew.

Yeah, sure. You also walked to school during blizzards in flip flops except you had to cross Mt Everest each way with no help from a Sherpa.
That was uncalled for. Yes, I did walk to school every day. There were no school buses for my area. I lived less than a mile but more than a half mile from the schools I attended. I grew up eating casseroles, horse meat and duck, venison, rabbit, etc. We had chickens and a vegetable garden and fruit trees. White folks can be poor, too.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 AM

7,574 posts, read 2,221,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
There are no qualifications for the summer free meal programs.
Anyone who shows up can eat.
If this helps free up money that is needed for gas to get to work or whatever, isn't that a good thing.
How much money is wasted on these programs that could be put to better use?

How much food is thrown out everyday?

It's beyond wasteful.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 AM

35,147 posts, read 32,136,802 times
Quote:
How much of that food is tossed in the trash each day?
If it's anything like a typical day at a k - 12 a lot.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 AM

991 posts, read 167,160 times
Most of the schools in my County (Hillsborough County) are 40+ percent free or subsidized lunch. A county of 1.2 million people so that is a lot of kids that qualify.

Threads like this remind me that most people do not know just how difficult of a time Americans are having right now. There is a cost to funneling money to the top for 40 years and the cracks in the system are apparent. 50% of us are swinging wildly from one President to another looking for answers that we are yet to find. The rest of America has already checked out.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 AM

7,574 posts, read 2,221,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Most of the schools in my County (Hillsborough County) are 40+ percent free or subsidized lunch. A county of 1.2 million people so that is a lot of kids that qualify.

Threads like this remind me that most people do not know just how difficult of a time Americans are having right now. There is a cost to funneling money to the top for 40 years and the cracks in the system are apparent. 50% of us are swinging wildly from one President to another looking for answers that we are yet to find. The rest of America has already checked out.
Does anyone work?

Did the whole county lose their jobs or is this a bigger issue regarding lack of planning to make an income?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 AM

594 posts, read 222,821 times
well another sad and pathetic OP..............This is a very old program and you probably participated in this as well. AKA school lunches. They literally take lunches from school to school in special bags.

Every kid deserves a good meal and possible people as well. Some parents do not have the means. LIKE THE MEANS TO SEND THERE KID TO A PRIVATE SCHOOL. So public school have these programs. Even my community center have these programs for elderly.

Sometimes parents are unable to provide meals to kids. Sometimes elderly people are unable to get proper meals as well. It is a nice community gester and rarely anybody shows up.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 AM

35,147 posts, read 32,136,802 times
Quote:
Does anyone work?

Did the whole county lose their jobs or is this a bigger issue regarding lack of planning to make an income?
Well, one solid stat is 11 million illegal alien's kids.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 AM

21,867 posts, read 21,711,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If it's anything like a typical day at a k - 12 a lot.
I think the best estimate is 40%.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:21 AM

20,612 posts, read 10,017,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Did I say “lying?”

I said “faux concern.”

Clearly I touched a nerve.
Faux concern isn't lying? What a stretch. And yes, you touched a nerve because I can't stand black and white thinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies