Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times

Advertisements

I heard on the radio today there's a program to give free breakfast and lunch to anyone 18 and under all summer long. The program is called Summer Food Service Program and the part that really got my attention was it stated there was no paperwork or eligibility requirements at all, so even middle or upper middle class kids, teens qualify.

Am I crazy or does this sound insane? Why am I paying for other kids breakfast and lunch everyday all summer long? What is all this nonsense about kids starving? Even if you are low income there's food stamps to cover that! Do people really believe there's that many adults that would let their kids starve if it weren't for programs like this?

And how exactly are they going to determine who's over 18? When did it become the taxpayers responsibility to start feeding every kid and teen in this country?

The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is available in hundreds of communities throughout Oregon, offering free meals and snacks to all kids ages 1-18. Community summer meal programs are open to all families without paperwork or signing up – kids can just drop in. Many programs also offer fun activities so kids can stay active and keep learning.

https://www.summerfoodoregon.org

Old 06-17-2019, 09:30 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
I don't understand this. I don't even get why schools offer free breakfast. And I'd prefer schools didn't offer hot lunches. A sandwich or salad is adequate.

A parent doesn't feed their child? They are negligent.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
In my area, they will feed any adults that arrive with children, no questions asked.
The local news replayed the story for weeks. The school has to spend x amount of $ to make an equel or greater claim next year. The sob story is “these children may not eat for the rest of the day”.. whats next, supper? Beds?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:43 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I heard on the radio today there's a program to give free breakfast and lunch to anyone 18 and under all summer long. The program is called Summer Food Service Program and the part that really got my attention was it stated there was no paperwork or eligibility requirements at all, so even middle or upper middle class kids, teens qualify.

Am I crazy or does this sound insane? Why am I paying for other kids breakfast and lunch everyday all summer long? What is all this nonsense about kids starving? Even if you are low income there's food stamps to cover that! Do people really believe there's that many adults that would let their kids starve if it weren't for programs like this?

And how exactly are they going to determine who's over 18? When did it become the taxpayers responsibility to start feeding every kid and teen in this country?

The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is available in hundreds of communities throughout Oregon, offering free meals and snacks to all kids ages 1-18. Community summer meal programs are open to all families without paperwork or signing up – kids can just drop in. Many programs also offer fun activities so kids can stay active and keep learning.

https://www.summerfoodoregon.org
It’s offered like this so that the real recipients this is meant for , the low income and or illegals don’t stand out. This way anyone can get the freebies and folks won’t get all worked up as much because their kids can go too.
It’s all ridiculous. Feed your own kids people.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
This country did a near identical summer program for years until the mid 80’s.

It’s a good program. If I have to pay for wars, then you can pay for summer food programs. Stop crying

Old 06-17-2019, 09:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I don't understand this. I don't even get why schools offer free breakfast. And I'd prefer schools didn't offer hot lunches. A sandwich or salad is adequate.

A parent doesn't feed their child? They are negligent.
Name a first world nation that doesn’t provide hot meals to schoolchildren.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This country did a near identical summer program for years until the mid 80’s.

It’s a good program. If I have to pay for wars, then you can pay for summer food programs. Stop crying
That Interesting. I was a kid in the 80's and never received a free meal nor did anyone I know. Oh, and we were also low income.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
I was a low income kid in the 60s and we didn’t get free breakfasts or lunches. In the 6th grade, I was able to serve lunch and got a free meal that way. I learned nothing is free and you need to work for it even a child.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
When I was a kid parents were expected to feed their kids thy didn’t
My church had a food drive recently because the kids were out of school they encouraged us to donate stuff that requires no cooking it was then I realized adults know how to cook but they don’t cook for their kids they don’t feed their kids the kids have to go in the kitchen and scrounge on their own
Like I did

Old 06-17-2019, 10:22 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
That Interesting. I was a kid in the 80's and never received a free meal nor did anyone I know. Oh, and we were also low income.

So, because you nor anyone you know received a free meal in the 80's, no other kids in the entire country received a free meal in the 80's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies