Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
OMG, people actually feeding hungry people !!!!!! What a horrible thing. Let those starving people go hungry, after all, where do they think they are living, in a country that actually cares about others ?

Any you on the right wonder why we dislike your policies and the way you treat others as much as we do.
But it's okay to feel hunger. Every single human being feels hunger every day. It's how our stomachs tell us that it's empty.

But feeling hungry doesn't mean that the person or child is STARVING. In fact, I have yet to see a low income child or adult who is emaciated or underweight. On the contrary, I see overweight, even morbidly obese people everywhere in America for the last several decades.

Honestly, feeling hungry is fine. What's more important is if that child or adult is of a HEALTHY weight. I'd say, determine the BMI of that child or adult, before handing out food stamps, EBT cards or free hot breakfasts and lunches.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I can't answer for the poster you quoted, but I'll give you mine. I don't care if we're providing more than is strictly needed. It's fine with me. There doesn't need to be equity in the level of free food to demonstrable need. If it's more food, I am 100% okay with that. If a kid shows up at lunch & then has lobster for dinner, I am okay with that. Because there are some who do have a need, whether they can prove it or not. And that's fine with me.
At some schools everyone is forced to sit down to breakfast. Everyone. Why? So they kids that need it don't feel labeled.

There are kids who are fed at home and then seated to a second breakfast at school. They eat 2 breakfasts. What is the result? Obesity. Add in the fact that the foods that schools serves are carb-laden, cheap garbage ...

Feeding everyone all the time? Causes additional problems.

Throwing money at a problem doesn't solve it. But it makes a lot of people *feel good* about themselves.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You’re disconnected. Most Americans are including myself.

This country is in a lot worse shape than people are letting on, and if you’re doing well enough to get three hots a day, it’s easy to miss.

Americans have gotten good at making being poor look good, but a helluva lot of people aren’t making it anymore. And it’s a helluva lot more people than what you think.
I admit there's a disconnect between myself and what poverty really looks like. But the people who have slipped - and it's mostly middle class with a lot of folks going from middle class to the lowest level of middle class - aren't getting any help because they don't qualify for it. I'm more concerned about those people than I am with a family of four who has two kids in school getting three meals a day. Their subsidized food money is going toward feeding two adults, not a family of four.

Are you suggesting that even feeding kids at school breakfast and lunch - there still wouldn't be enough money to feed kids dinner at home? I'm not being a wiseguy, it's a genuine question.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
OP this has been going on since the 1980s lol.

And FWIW I'm more upset about my tax money being used to create weapons of mass destruction and military bases in foreign countries that I am about kids being offered free meals here in America.

I've worked in housing and many housing authorities serve this program for kids. I was always glad to see that the kids have a place to get breakfast/lunch. Unfortunately many parents are sh*tty parents and even when they get welfare and foodstamps they often don't feed their kids any nutritious meals and the program in the summer is better than nothing or junkfood for these kids.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But it's okay to feel hunger. Every single human being feels hunger every day. It's how our stomachs tell us that it's empty.

But feeling hungry doesn't mean that the person or child is STARVING. In fact, I have yet to see a low income child or adult who is emaciated or underweight. On the contrary, I see overweight, even morbidly obese people everywhere in America for the last several decades.

Honestly, feeling hungry is fine. What's more important is if that child or adult is of a HEALTHY weight. I'd say, determine the BMI of that child or adult, before handing out food stamps, EBT cards or free hot breakfasts and lunches.
Which speaks to the quality of the food that they are eating, not the quantity.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
If I had to choose between blowing tax dollars in Iran or feeding hungry people here, I choose here. I get the issues with spending tax dollars but since we are spending like crazy these days, might as well spend it on Americans.

Fiscal responsibility is not a hallmark of the 21 century.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I admit there's a disconnect between myself and what poverty really looks like. But the people who have slipped - and it's mostly middle class with a lot of folks going from middle class to the lowest level of middle class - aren't getting any help because they don't qualify for it. I'm more concerned about those people than I am with a family of four who has two kids in school getting three meals a day. Their subsidized food money is going toward feeding two adults, not a family of four.

Are you suggesting that even feeding kids at school breakfast and lunch - there still wouldn't be enough money to feed kids dinner at home? I'm not being a wiseguy, it's a genuine question.

I know this wasn't to me, but wanted to note that the bold is actually a reason why I like the free meals in the summer program as well. Many middle class families and working class families actually do take advantage of this program and the meals where I live, especially those who visit libraries. Some of our library branches offer free lunch for kids.

When I worked in housing it was primarily the children in public housing but there are even large daycare centers here that provide summer programs for kids and those programs don't cover meals. Luckily the daycare center that they send their children too participates in the program so they get free meals and snacks.

At my daughter's school all the kids get free lunch and breakfast. My own family makes enough to pay full price or send a lunch with my kid, but she often forgets to pack a lunch and I'm happy I don't have to worry about her not eating lunch.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I know this wasn't to me, but wanted to note that the bold is actually a reason why I like the free meals in the summer program as well. Many middle class families and working class families actually do take advantage of this program and the meals where I live, especially those who visit libraries. Some of our library branches offer free lunch for kids.

When I worked in housing it was primarily the children in public housing but there are even large daycare centers here that provide summer programs for kids and those programs don't cover meals. Luckily the daycare center that they send their children too participates in the program so they get free meals and snacks.

At my daughter's school all the kids get free lunch and breakfast. My own family makes enough to pay full price or send a lunch with my kid, but she often forgets to pack a lunch and I'm happy I don't have to worry about her not eating lunch.
How much of that food is tossed in the trash each day?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM

21 posts, read 13,040 times
Well it isnt a malicious thing to do but we all have to understand there will be people complaining if there is segregation, thus to appease everyone i supposed they did it this way. Im sure the food are basic stuff thus helping feed whoever really needs them.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

There are no qualifications for the summer free meal programs.
Anyone who shows up can eat.
If this helps free up money that is needed for gas to get to work or whatever, isn't that a good thing?

BTW, the president wants to change the definition of poverty in this country, which means that even more people will no longer qualify for assistance.
Because you know, he's for regular Americans and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies