U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 6,459,374 times

Advertisements

PE would be more useful teaching kids skills they'll actually use in real life, like taking them out jogging or biking, perhaps getting an exercise habit built into them at an early age. They had these physical fitness tests that measured how long it took you to jog a mile yet they never had kids jogging in gym class or doing regular rope climbing or anything else that was on the tests. These days any activity is a potential lawsuit, so I'm surprised they still even have gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 PM

30,684 posts, read 33,445,013 times
Dodgeball is fun! I sucked at it in middle school but I still liked playing it.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:25 AM

9,800 posts, read 5,474,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
PE would be more useful teaching kids skills they'll actually use in real life, like taking them out jogging or biking, perhaps getting an exercise habit built into them at an early age. They had these physical fitness tests that measured how long it took you to jog a mile yet they never had kids jogging in gym class or doing regular rope climbing or anything else that was on the tests. These days any activity is a potential lawsuit, so I'm surprised they still even have gym.
Perhaps very true......the question is, who decides what those skills are that they will actually use in real life.

Judo was not a PE course but I was in it, organized, from 10 to 22 and then did it for the military. So A and B. A: It is ingrained to me like instinct. If I trip, if the body falls, a break fall is automatic, I don't have to think about it. This is why gymnastics was such a disaster for me. Gymnastics says "Fight the fall, fight the fall, fight the fall" while judo says, "if you're going to fall, fall while you still have some control". That latter system is built into me and is IMPOSSIBLE to over ride. Gymnastics was the only PE course I got a D in, despite my efforts above and beyond, because I just couldn't do any of the required skills.

B: Judo has given me an excellent foundation to be able to absorb any fighting techniques rapidly. Judo is not just a method of fighting but has also been described as a method of physical training.

So who decides?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM

20,077 posts, read 11,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
That's what I've been talking about. PE programs are not, unfortunately, really about physical education.

If they were, they'd be structured more like military basic training, which is designed to take people starting from a wide range of physical ability and bring them all to a minimum standard. It wouldn't have to be as hard-core as military basic, but the structure would be similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies