U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:07 PM

4,476 posts, read 878,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Dodgeball is dangerous - a friend was badly inured while playing, and had to have his head amputated.
Dangerous, yes. Oppressive and dehumanizing, no. That is, unless there are people stuck in the circle who are hostages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,322 posts, read 14,041,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Dodgeball is dangerous - a friend was badly inured while playing, and had to have his head amputated.
did he/she get a prosthetic pumpkin to replace the amputated head??

Old 06-18-2019, 01:10 PM

21,892 posts, read 21,720,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Dodgeball is dangerous as hell. I remember kids getting broken bones and concussions from it.
Like football, basketball and soccer?

Old 06-18-2019, 01:12 PM

17,238 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Are all sports oppressive and wreak of toxic masculinity?

Old 06-18-2019, 01:15 PM

12,111 posts, read 6,690,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
We had 2 types of dodgeball (our gym teacher called it "warball" though)

old warball - the typical game where if you get hit, you are out and the last person standing wins

new warball - you don't get "out" if you get hit with a ball, the gym teacher sits in the middle with 2 counters and counts the number of hits each team gets.

the new warball was more popular and I remember kids had much less of a problem with it. the old warball was a way to shame people.
Then tag must be shaming and oppressive too.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM

20,112 posts, read 11,157,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
We had both. Calisthenics then some form of game, dodgeball, vollyball, etc.
How coordinated and powerful must one be to throw and dodge a ball.
You have to be able to hit what you're throwing at. And have reflexes quick enough to dodge a ball.

Obviously, whatever benefit there may be to dodgeball ends when the less coordinated kid gets put out. That's rather what dodgeball does--efficiently.

A fuller all-body workout program can be developed that doesn't pit kids against one another, especially kids of varying physical capabilities. The uncoordinated kid who will never get a ball though a hoop still needs to develop strength and cardio stamina. Competitive games will never give him what he needs.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:30 PM

20,112 posts, read 11,157,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Women's beach volleyball, for sure. Wreaking of toxic masculinity.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 PM

9,808 posts, read 5,482,793 times
Hmmmmm.........and I use my dance moves to out turn people so to take them out. I wonder where I learned that.

I guess dodgeball is dehumanizing........for the thrower.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:42 PM

9,944 posts, read 8,077,811 times
I like the version where you get points. Good idea. Everyone plays the entire time. Still winners, but it is not a 30 seconds and the fat kid is out and gone.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:44 PM

824 posts, read 316,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I'm sure this is the next microscope setting for these nitwit liberals that have nothing better to do than go on these meaningless witch hunts.

Let's examine some of the top sports that are played by women:

1. Soccer. I used to play soccer. Lot's of pushing and shoving, rolled ankles, and kicking going on. Can be quite a physical sport.

2. Field Hockey. Similar to Soccer with the inclusion of a rock hard ball.

3. Volleyball. When played correctly, lots of bruises, rolled ankles and good chance of being drilled right between the eyes from a spiked ball.

All of sports can be viewed as oppressive but these digbats that want to coddle our children. Let's ban all sports and just wrap our poor little kiddies in bubble wrap all day!

You reach a point where you need to stand up and call bs. This is one of those that the founders of the study need to be told to take a hike...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies