U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM

21,872 posts, read 21,715,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You have to be able to hit what you're throwing at. And have reflexes quick enough to dodge a ball.

Obviously, whatever benefit there may be to dodgeball ends when the less coordinated kid gets put out. That's rather what dodgeball does--efficiently.

A fuller all-body workout program can be developed that doesn't pit kids against one another, especially kids of varying physical capabilities. The uncoordinated kid who will never get a ball though a hoop still needs to develop strength and cardio stamina. Competitive games will never give him what he needs.
Perhaps things have changed but PE consisted of a workout program and in addition to that various games were played, we did trampoline, rope climbing, balance beam, racing. PE id not just dodgeball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:52 PM

19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Dodgeball. Oh the horror.

As a kid back in Massachusetts they forced it upon us. Anytime it was raining so we had to stay indoors for recess.

A gigantic rubber ball--totally terrifying, lol.

This was 6th grade and no throwing above the waist. That was a good rule--who wants to get hit in the head?

But, being a girl, and required to wear a dress back in those days, somebody hit my SKIRT with the ball and I was OUT! &@**$##!! So traumatized. PTSD for sure. Sexist. (I got over it.)

Old 06-18-2019, 01:57 PM

29,387 posts, read 15,424,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree, used to play it in grade school and was indeed terrible.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dodg...qc_oACwaiPYkYs
Dodgeball was awesome. Best thing about PE.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:19 PM

19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Quote:
You have to be able to hit what you're throwing at. And have reflexes quick enough to dodge a ball.

Obviously, whatever benefit there may be to dodgeball ends when the less coordinated kid gets put out. That's rather what dodgeball does--efficiently.

A fuller all-body workout program can be developed that doesn't pit kids against one another, especially kids of varying physical capabilities. The uncoordinated kid who will never get a ball though a hoop still needs to develop strength and cardio stamina. Competitive games will never give him what he needs.
Girl here, not athletic. We only played dodgeball up until 6th grade and there was no hitting above the waist. I was not athletic at all but I loved the game. It was a great big ball and even I could throw it and hit someone. I mean, the ball was so huge that you couldn't miss!

High school was another story--PE was horrible and some kids actually got out of it. We had to do tricks on the trampoline--a few were easy like the seat drop and I think one other one, but they made us do some really hard things and they wanted us to do flips. It was dangerous if you didn't know what you were doing.

And climbing those stupid ropes! We were required to climb to the ceiling of the gym--if you couldn't do it you failed the course. I failed. Not enough upper arm strength for that.

Tumbling. On those mats--great for kids who could do it--they wanted us to do all sorts of running and then leaping over the backs of kids who were scrunched down, ending in a somersault. That was dangerous when you were supposed to jump over 5 kids.

Balance beam? I HATED IT. But some kids went round and round and upside down like acrobats. And some kids, like me, just went clunk.

Being an unathletic girl, I got more out of the team sports like basketball. When we were younger, it was kickball. We were part of a TEAM. Yes, I was usually chosen last but that wasn't traumatizing. Turned out I was really good at serving in volleyball. Being tall, I wasn't the worst in the class at basketball either. Terrible at softball though. I'm glad I had the chance to try these things.

It was ALL required. I got the most out of the TEAM sports, even if I was just running across the field it was something. And it was exciting when our team won and sad when we lost. But even if we lost, there was always tomorrow.

If we should go easy on anything, it would have to be those awful acrobatics in the gym. THAT's where some kids got notes from their parents to get them out of it. It was individual sports, everyone was watching you, and there are some kids who simply cannot do it, and that's embarrassing. This was back in the 1960s--maybe they don't have these individual acrobatics anymore. That would be good.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:33 PM

20,096 posts, read 11,147,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Girl here, not athletic. We only played dodgeball up until 6th grade and there was no hitting above the waist. I was not athletic at all but I loved the game. It was a great big ball and even I could throw it and hit someone. I mean, the ball was so huge that you couldn't miss!

High school was another story--PE was horrible and some kids actually got out of it. We had to do tricks on the trampoline--a few were easy like the seat drop and I think one other one, but they made us do some really hard things and they wanted us to do flips. It was dangerous if you didn't know what you were doing.

And climbing those stupid ropes! We were required to climb to the ceiling of the gym--if you couldn't do it you failed the course. I failed. Not enough upper arm strength for that.

Tumbling. On those mats--great for kids who could do it--they wanted us to do all sorts of running and then leaping over the backs of kids who were scrunched down, ending in a somersault. That was dangerous when you were supposed to jump over 5 kids.

Balance beam? I HATED IT. But some kids went round and round and upside down like acrobats. And some kids, like me, just went clunk.

Being an unathletic girl, I got more out of the team sports like basketball. When we were younger, it was kickball. We were part of a TEAM. Yes, I was usually chosen last but that wasn't traumatizing. Turned out I was really good at serving in volleyball. Being tall, I wasn't the worst in the class at basketball either. Terrible at softball though. I'm glad I had the chance to try these things.

It was ALL required. I got the most out of the TEAM sports, even if I was just running across the field it was something. And it was exciting when our team won and sad when we lost. But even if we lost, there was always tomorrow.

If we should go easy on anything, it would have to be those awful acrobatics in the gym. THAT's where some kids got notes from their parents to get them out of it. It was individual sports, everyone was watching you, and there are some kids who simply cannot do it, and that's embarrassing. This was back in the 1960s--maybe they don't have these individual acrobatics anymore. That would be good.
I'm not talking about going easy.

I'm actually talking about going hard--even harder than it happens today.

Any kid can run/walk to the limit of his endurance today--with the expectation of performing better next month.

Any kid can do half-pushups today to the limit of his endurance--with the expectation performing better next month.

There are lots of strength and cardio exercises that can involve every kid in the class to the limit of his or her personal endurance today--with the expectation of performing better over time. And that's what training is about.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:48 PM

1,297 posts, read 2,062,744 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about going easy.

I'm actually talking about going hard--even harder than it happens today.

Any kid can run/walk to the limit of his endurance today--with the expectation of performing better next month.

Any kid can do half-pushups today to the limit of his endurance--with the expectation performing better next month.

There are lots of strength and cardio exercises that can involve every kid in the class to the limit of his or her personal endurance today--with the expectation of performing better over time. And that's what training is about.
Perhaps the bigger picture is that there are pros and cons to any activity, whether it be team based or more individual or competitive. One can always find excuses for why one type of activity might have a certain level of detriment to someone (being laughed at for only being able to do a half pushup for instance), but that is a part of life (more on this in a bit). Note that this also applies to the academic side, this thread is focused on the athletic, but a similar phenomenon also occurs academically as kids rate each other by how well they do or don't do in a class, by their test scores, by the very classes they take ("regulars" vs AP), there is competition everywhere.

I personally think (and feel free to utterly disagree) that problem isn't so much that kids are exposed to the notion of winners, losers, smarter, dumber, prettier, uglier, faster, slower, etc through various activities, I think the issue is more that there is a lack of mature adults to help frame these life lessons for the kids. Get smashed up in dodgeball? Well have a talk with your kiddo and explain that some folks simply have an advantage, try your best, here are ways to get better, or don't worry about it because it's just one thing out of a bajillion things to be good at. Your kiddo crushes everyone at dodgeball, well, don't let it get to your head, win but be compassionate (e.g. avoid the face shot), don't stop at a single victory, instead use it as a stepping stone to bigger things, etc. There are lessons to be learned in anything but when parents are too busy with work, social media and kiddos are taught that the world needs to conform for them to be happy vs finding happiness in the world despite all it's (and our) imperfections and that's where the true "oppression" and "dehumanization" stems from.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:51 PM

1,293 posts, read 392,401 times
I didn’t like the balance beam either or the uneven bars. The girls who participated in gymnastics or ballet outside school hours definitely had a huge advantage. We were expected to learn routines in like 90 minutes a week that Olympic bound girls would start training for at the age of 4, lol.

As for Dodgeball I played it as it was required. Never really gave it a thought but the bullies had the advantage and it literally was a free for all for them and really provided them an in class opportunity to abuse other students less physically capable than themselves . I can see that now but didn’t then.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:54 PM

12,209 posts, read 6,945,397 times
dodgeball, hitting a classmate with a huge plastic ball to get them 'out' of the game, was cruel. this was a grade school game when I was a kid. I never liked this game because to win the game required physically hurting another child.

I won't watch boxing or mma fighting for the same reason. any sport with the goal of hurting an opponent to win isn't on my radar. i'm sure hitting someone into submission to win takes skill, but these sports are not enjoyable....to me....just like dodgeball wasn't.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:56 PM

5,460 posts, read 3,295,898 times
Let me guess, the person who wrote this either got picked last or was the first one to get hit.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 PM

816 posts, read 315,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Let me guess, the person who wrote this either got picked last or was the first one to get hit.

Or was the one in the front row wearing glasses. Also my guess is they don't call it "Smear the *****" anymore like they did when I was a kid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies