Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

I agree, used to play it in grade school and was indeed terrible.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dodg...qc_oACwaiPYkYs

Quote:
Researchers have called dodgeball, a common sport played in US schools, a tool of “oppression.”

The game, in which two teams compete by throwing a rubber ball at each other in an attempt to “out” the others’ teammates, teaches students to dehumanize and harm their peers, according to professors from three Canadian universities in a presentation at the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences in Vancouver last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
There was a similar thread like this last week I think.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:04 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
In high school we often played a similar game called, "prisonball". I almost always was the last on our team to be hit and put out and one guy on the other team was the same. We went head-to-head and our team won most often. Somehow, I've never achieved that level of success in later endeavors. Now, I'm being told I was oppressing people!? Social scientists with too much time on their hands!

Old 06-18-2019, 05:20 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree, used to play it in grade school and was indeed terrible.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dodg...qc_oACwaiPYkYs

Yes- Isn't it great! Dodgeball was an outstanding exercise in life played out in microcosm. Heck, my kids had boxing matches in our backyard too in which they and the neighbor kids would beat the hell out of each other.

Back when kids were kids and not the wusses of today.

Losing in sports can be more instructive as winning. It forces one to identify one's own weaknesses and formulate plans to correct them. That is a very important life lesson and can be very apt in real life.

Without conflict or loss, there is little opportunity to grow as a person. That is why many rich kids are worthless- they have never struggled or routinely experienced defeat or deprivation, which are very motivating experiences.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:29 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Gym is oppressive. The non athletes are picked last and generally out of the game first in dodgeball.

Then magic happens.

Some of the non athletes are nerds who do very well in school. And you have to pay them lots to keep your network going.

Life is crappy. You WILL be oppressed by someone at sometime.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:34 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
One of my favorite activities in the states compulsory education scheme.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:36 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Gym is oppressive. The non athletes are picked last and generally out of the game first in dodgeball.

Then magic happens.

Some of the non athletes are nerds who do very well in school. And you have to pay them lots to keep your network going.

Life is crappy. You WILL be oppressed by someone at sometime.

Agreed- childhood years can sometimes be painful, but always instructive. I "straddled the line" between jocks and nerds, as I was a straight "A" student, but excelled in two sports. I am proud to say that I had a pocket protector for my pens while in school! Only nerds can make such a boast.

All in all, I preferred the social company of the nerds and stoners- far more interesting people.

The only jock-nerd exception I know of is with the Gruden family. The oldest brother, Jim, was one of my friends and was a total nerd. His two younger brothers were jocks and are now NFL coaches; Jim is "just" a radiologist. The guy who played the DEA agent on "Breaking Bad" was two years behind me in my sister's class and was a nerd.

PS- The Grudens were nice people

Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
Loved it back when I was in grade school. Never won but we sure had fun. Ah to have grown up in the '70's before this generation became a buncha soft whiners

Old 06-18-2019, 05:44 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,049,434 times
At this rate, will they ban the movie Dodgeball as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-XbDZUnUmw

Old 06-18-2019, 05:44 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,178 times
Dodgeball is awesome. As long as you want to play it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies