U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 AM

12,687 posts, read 3,222,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Salt Lake City is the only Democratic stronghold in Utah. Been that way for years.
Much like Chicago in Illinois...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 10:49 AM

Racism and human nature...

Given human nature to view just about everything in terms of "them vs us," we can't seem to look at these issues other than through the prism of how different looking people think, but here too we're talking racism in another of it's many forms.

More appropriate question is whether Buttigieg can win votes with PEOPLE who are anti-gay, and then..., why should PEOPLE not support a gay person simply because they are gay?

We can't help but consider demographics of blacks, Hispanics, Chinese in these respects, but really it boils down to why any PERSON regardless of color, race, religion or sexual orientation votes the way they do.

Ultimately, the reasons have little to do with DNA but intelligence vs ignorance, economics, education, upbringing and all the other influences that affect all PEOPLE pretty much the same way.

Meanwhile, though we seem to be making painfully slow progress in terms of thinking of all PEOPLE in the same way, we still can't help but think more in terms of what makes us different rather than what makes us the same. Especially when it comes to how we look...

Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 AM

21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Salt Lake City is the only Democratic stronghold in Utah. Been that way for years.
It's the only larger city that is predominantly Democratic, but Park City is also very Democratic.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:53 PM

50,620 posts, read 26,709,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Much like Chicago in Illinois...
Yeah, but no. You’re half right.

Most fairly large cities in Illinois lean Democratic.

Chicago is just so populated that it tips the scales further than usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's the only larger city that is predominantly Democratic, but Park City is also very Democratic.
Good too know! Where you been BTW?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 AM

48,092 posts, read 45,475,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
lmao...blacks won't vote for a white homosexual kid, they'll stay home.
Do you really know that for a fact? Or are you hoping this will happen?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:11 PM

15,442 posts, read 7,880,354 times
It isn't a secret that black Americans are more homophobic than other Americans.

As a group, we are. I personally am not but haven't seen anything about Buttigieg that would make me want to vote for him.

Interestingly, my husband and I were watching the reparations discussions on YouTube yesterday and he was speaking about how some black people think Corey Booker is gay. I told him I don't think Booker is gay and if he was, he'd be stupid not to use it to his advantage because liberal white people would forget about Buttigieg and all other candidates if Booker came out as gay - he'd win the nomination lol. Being both black and gay for him would be an advantage. He'd put off a lot of black straight men, but he'd still have support of black women by and large and good size minority of black men in America. So if he's gay (Booker) it would be silly of him not to come out once he decided to run for president.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It isn't a secret that black Americans are more homophobic than other Americans.

As a group, we are. I personally am not but haven't seen anything about Buttigieg that would make me want to vote for him.

Interestingly, my husband and I were watching the reparations discussions on YouTube yesterday and he was speaking about how some black people think Corey Booker is gay. I told him I don't think Booker is gay and if he was, he'd be stupid not to use it to his advantage because liberal white people would forget about Buttigieg and all other candidates if Booker came out as gay - he'd win the nomination lol. Being both black and gay for him would be an advantage. He'd put off a lot of black straight men, but he'd still have support of black women by and large and good size minority of black men in America. So if he's gay (Booker) it would be silly of him not to come out once he decided to run for president.
Blaxploitation?

Saw the movie "Shaft" a few days ago. Something of a Samuel Jackson fan here...

CRITICS SLAM ‘SHAFT’ AS RACIST, SEXIST AND HOMOPHOBIC

https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/crit...st-homophobic/

Can't say I don't get what the critics are getting at...

Old 06-20-2019, 01:21 PM

20,112 posts, read 11,157,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I've heard people say that.

But I've also seen overt male homosexuals tolerated in black communities since the early 60s, even in church congregations, and black lesbians pretty much go where they want and do what they want.

I can only give a positive witness that black men who are not gay vigorously dissent to being thought gay.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 PM

993 posts, read 170,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've heard people say that.

But I've also seen overt male homosexuals tolerated in black communities since the early 60s, even in church congregations, and black lesbians pretty much go where they want and do what they want.

I can only give a positive witness that black men who are not gay vigorously dissent to being thought gay.
Black folks are just that way. We will tell you what we don't like but that does not mean we will harm you for not conforming. You don't have to be in a box to live in a black community, be a hippie or a tightwad, its what ever so long as you not nasty to others.

Hence why so many music and fashion styles come out of the black community, its ok to be different even if we don't necessary agree with it.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:08 PM

20,112 posts, read 11,157,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Black folks are just that way. We will tell you what we don't like but that does not mean we will harm you for not conforming. You don't have to be in a box to live in a black community, be a hippie or a tightwad, its what ever so long as you not nasty to others.
But that fact alone indicates black Americans are not more homophobic than white Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or