U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 AM

27,507 posts, read 17,624,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If it's harder for a cisgender White male to get a job, I'm not seeing it. Based on my personal experiences, it's harder for a Black man to get a job.
Perhaps if you identified as a gay, black, Asian women on the application it would be easier? Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 07:20 AM

12,106 posts, read 6,685,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Perhaps if you identified as a gay, black, Asian women on the application it would be easier? Just a thought.
Best leave out Asian, that can work against you.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:24 AM

14,154 posts, read 11,628,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
That's what my film school professor told me. He says the market makes it very difficult to get work if you are white, male, or cisgender he said. And I find this surprising cause when it comes to trying sell a motion picture product to the market, most movie audiences don't care who the director is, or know anything about them. They just want to see a good movie.

Plus if try to get job directing a movie, now they can tell that I am a white male, but I would be very surprised if they would ask if me if I was cisgender or not cause you're not allowed to ask that question, and even if they could get away with asking it, I don't think they are going to want any one going around saying that they asked that question when hiring people.

So is it really that big of a thing to worry about as my professor was making it out to be, do you think?

Personally I despise this "cisgender" bilge. I firmly believe it is a term intended to be disparaging. Used by transgender types to make it seem that being OK with the gender you were born with is somehow wrong. Much the way homosexuals will refer to straight people as "breeders."

Yep, I am offended by the term and referring to me using it is fighting words. The LGBT sect can keep it's terminology to itself. If they want to use it amongst themselves that's fine but don't use it with me.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 AM

4,834 posts, read 1,536,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You mean normal? Or not mentally ill? That part makes sense-but the term is still a slur if it's not what those people choose to call themselves.
I don't know really know about the word much, I was just going by the word he told me.

But as far as women go, I don't think a lot of them want to be directors compared to men, since the class was all male, so I figured maybe women are not just as interested if none of them applied the same semester.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 AM

6,740 posts, read 6,547,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Extremely doubtful. Do a Google search for the top 10 highest paid directors: white males.
They are all either gay, jewish, or on the CIA payroll so that is a little misleading.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 AM

4,476 posts, read 3,314,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
That's what my film school professor told me. He says the market makes it very difficult to get work if you are white, male, or cisgender he said. And I find this surprising cause when it comes to trying sell a motion picture product to the market, most movie audiences don't care who the director is, or know anything about them. They just want to see a good movie.

Plus if try to get job directing a movie, now they can tell that I am a white male, but I would be very surprised if they would ask if me if I was cisgender or not cause you're not allowed to ask that question, and even if they could get away with asking it, I don't think they are going to want any one going around saying that they asked that question when hiring people.

So is it really that big of a thing to worry about as my professor was making it out to be, do you think?
Let's see what the numbers say! (Bear in mind that white males only make up about 30 percent of the US population.)

Top ten grossing directors:
1. Steven Spielberg - white male, partnered with a woman
2 & 3. Joe & Anthony Russo - white males, not known to be LGBTQ as far as I know
4. Peter Jackson - white male, partnered with a woman
5. Michael Bay- white male, not known to be LGBTQ as far as I know
6. James Cameron - white male, married to a woman
7. David Yates - white male, partnered with a woman
8. Christopher Nolan - white male, married to a woman
9. Tim Burton - white male, not known to be LGBTQ as far as I know
10. Robert Zemeckis - white male, married to a woman

Top ten earning actors/actresses:
1. George Clooney - presumed straight white male
2. Dwayne Johnson
3. Robert Downey Jr. - presumed straight white male
4. Chris Hemsworth - presumed straight white male
5. Jackie Chan
6. Will Smith
7 & 8. Akshay Kumar and Scarlett Johansson
9. Adam Sandler - presumed straight white male
10. Salman Khan

Top movies of 2018:
1. Black Panther
2. Avengers: Infinity War - ensemble cast, but the top four billed actors are Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans, directed by Russo Brothers
3. The Incredibles 2 - ensemble cast, but the top billed actor is Craig T. Nelson, directed by Brad Bird
4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - has a male/female pair as leads, but the top billed actor is Chris Pratt, directed by Colin Trevorrow
5. Deadpool 2 - stars Ryan Reynolds, next billed actor is Josh Brolin, directed by David Leitch
6. The Grinch - stars Jim Carrey, next billed actor is Jeffrey Tambor, directed by Ron Howard
7. Mission Impossible - Fallout - stars Tom Cruise, next billed actor is Henry Cavill, directed by Chirstopher McQuarrie
8. Ant Man and the Wasp - has a male/female pair as leads, but the top billed actor is Paul Rudd, directed by Peyton Reed
9. Solo - stars Alden Ehrenreich, next billed actor is Woody Harrelson, directed by Ron Howard
10. Venom - stars Tom Hardy, directed by Ruben Fleischer

Top TV shows of 2018-19:
1. Game of Thrones - ensemble cast, top billed actor in season 8 is Peter Dinklage
2 - 4: NFL Football - not a scripted show, so I included three extra slots in this list
5. This is Us - ensemble cast, top billed actor is Milo Ventimiglia
6. The Masked Singer
7. The Big Bang Theory - ensemble cast, top billed actor is Johnny Galecki
8. The Walking Dead - ensemble cast, top billed actor is Andrew Lincoln
9. Grey's Anatomy
10. Manifest
11. Young Sheldon - stars Iain Armitage
12. 911
13. The Good Doctor - stars Freddy Highmore

Last edited by Frostnip; 06-19-2019 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 AM

339 posts, read 108,247 times
If your professor really knew what they were talking about they wouldn't be teaching they would be doing

Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM

3,960 posts, read 2,030,149 times
With all the other issues the OP has going on, being a cisgender white male is the least of his worries.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 AM

705 posts, read 127,104 times
no the liberals like to talk the talk but they don't walk the walk.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 AM

32,440 posts, read 16,612,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
They are all either gay, jewish, or on the CIA payroll so that is a little misleading.
Oooo-kay, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or