U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 PM

4,838 posts, read 1,537,874 times

Advertisements

That's what my film school professor told me. He says the market makes it very difficult to get work if you are white, male, or cisgender he said. And I find this surprising cause when it comes to trying sell a motion picture product to the market, most movie audiences don't care who the director is, or know anything about them. They just want to see a good movie.

Plus if try to get job directing a movie, now they can tell that I am a white male, but I would be very surprised if they would ask if me if I was cisgender or not cause you're not allowed to ask that question, and even if they could get away with asking it, I don't think they are going to want any one going around saying that they asked that question when hiring people.

So is it really that big of a thing to worry about as my professor was making it out to be, do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 PM

11,613 posts, read 4,916,136 times
I'm not sure about the whole thing, but, from what I've seen covered, isn't it CIS, not cys? Wouldn't it help to get right, what your talking about?

That said, if you're working on a big project, like a screenplay/movie, don't worry about what your professor is saying, they aren't always correct. Follow your dream and make it happen. Most audiences don't give two poops on who the producer/director/creator is, until they get well known. The large population of movie goers are going to be entertained.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:29 PM

Oh yes it is, sorry I will change it.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 PM

1,091 posts, read 224,791 times
Absolutely. There has been a war on straight white males for some time now in our society. How many lead roles do you see featuring straight white masculine males, how many commercials, TV shows, pop culture etc? If anything the straight while masculine male is the "bad guy" these days.

Think about how many various checkbox agendas there are out there these days in hiring. I can promise you a straight white masculine male is at the very bottom. And for the most part, straight white males have let the crazy SJW agendas just run wild with little to no pushback.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:31 PM

4,946 posts, read 2,969,861 times
Ill have what he’s having! ^

For real though, theres a new movie with Jason Statham.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Oh okay. Well I can understand this maybe at the top level of the movie business, but when starting out, can people who hire you still afford to favor hiring certain types, cause I think there are a lot out there, who take what talent they can get to make ends meat, or so I thought. I mean I thought this type of favoritism, was for multi-millionaire movie producers that could afford to pick and choose that way, but not everyone the lower ends in the business.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Just a small example, but the University of Kansas is offering an "Angry White Male Studies" class in the fall. Can you imagine ANY other demographic being singled out like this? There would be pandemonium. SJW heads would be combusting inside safe spaces everywhere.

Many universities are creating classes that only go after and target "whiteness" as a bad thing. I posted a list of those classes on here in a separate thread a few weeks ago. Notice there are no other specific demographics singled out like this in "higher education".........

Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 PM

Yeah but whenever I hear of this, it's always some sort of debate group, or some sort of studies thing. In business when the other things matter more, don't a lot of people who want to hire the best for talent, don't put race, or gender at the top of their list of things to look for, compared to the work that they produce?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yeah but whenever I hear of this, it's always some sort of debate group, or some sort of studies thing. In business when the other things matter more, don't a lot of people who want to hire the best for talent, don't put race, or gender at the top of their list of things to look for, compared to the work that they produce?
No they put agendas at the top of hiring. And many SJW types are in charge of hiring these days. Do a search for "white males discrimination" and look at the numerous articles that populate. Google and Microsoft were recently in the news regarding these practices as well.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 PM

Okay thanks. So I guess the best course of action would be too try to go for one's who do not have a huge luxury to choose from and cannot afford to turn many down because of SJW standards?

I mean I could always lie and say I am transgender to get in I suppose, worst case scenario, and I don't suppose it would be the first time someone in show business lied about something of themselves to get gigs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or