Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What matters to me is the bottom line. I don't respect anyone who fought for the CSA, period.
Not to mention there are still American schools named for people who fought against the United States of America. No wonder this Country is divided, screwed up, & schizophrenic ( from MLK speech). SNAFU as usual.

Not Just Monuments: Schools Named After Confederates Are Rebranding

Since the 2015 massacre at the Emanuel A.M.E. Church, 37 schools honoring Confederate icons have changed their names, while about 100 others haven’t.

https://www.history.com/news/confede...names-changing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 11:18 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Not to mention there are still American schools named for people who fought against the United States of America. No wonder this Country is divided, screwed up, & schizophrenic ( from MLK speech). SNAFU as usual.

Not Just Monuments: Schools Named After Confederates Are Rebranding

Since the 2015 massacre at the Emanuel A.M.E. Church, 37 schools honoring Confederate icons have changed their names, while about 100 others haven’t.

https://www.history.com/news/confede...names-changing
I know how it goes. There are counties in Georgia named for Confederate generals.

Bacon County
Bartow County
Cook County (not to be confused with Cook County, Illinois, where Chicago is). This particular Cook County is named for Confederate general Philip Cook. Cook Countyl,IL was named for Illinois politician Daniel Cook.
Jeff Davis County (named for Confederate President Jefferson Davis)
Stephens County
Toombs County
We have a Lee County. I think it was named for Robert E. Lee.

Most of those counties are in southern Georgia, where slavery in Georgia was the most prominant. Only Bartow and Stephens counties are located in northern GA.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:51 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,199 times
They should emulate the example of King County, Washington, which was named for William Rufus DeVane King, the 13th Vice-President of the U.S., who died in office. W. R. D. King was also a slaveholder, so in 1986 (later ratified by the state legislature in 2005), the King County Council voted to amend history to provide that King County's namesake was Dr. Martin Luther King, when in truth, in fact and in reality, it had been named for William Rufus DeVane King.

In this case, the school district could pass a resolution changing history by stipulating that the namesake of these two buildings wasn't James Monroe, the 5th President of the United States, but that it was James (Jimmy) Monroe, a local electrician who bowled a 300 game in March, 1957, during sanctioned league play, and who did not own any slaves.

That would be a win-win for everybody, I tells ya.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:23 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
They should emulate the example of King County, Washington, which was named for William Rufus DeVane King, the 13th Vice-President of the U.S., who died in office. W. R. D. King was also a slaveholder, so in 1986 (later ratified by the state legislature in 2005), the King County Council voted to amend history to provide that King County's namesake was Dr. Martin Luther King, when in truth, in fact and in reality, it had been named for William Rufus DeVane King.

In this case, the school district could pass a resolution changing history by stipulating that the namesake of these two buildings wasn't James Monroe, the 5th President of the United States, but that it was James (Jimmy) Monroe, a local electrician who bowled a 300 game in March, 1957, during sanctioned league play, and who did not own any slaves.

That would be a win-win for everybody, I tells ya.
With the #metoo agenda in full effect, I want to know when the Left are going to demand that every MLK-named anything in America be shredded as well...since it has now been confirmed he laughed at the sight of women being raped in front of him, was notorious womanizer/supporter of prostitutes, and was a plagiarist.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
We should rename Washington DC to Obama DC
Too expensive to make all the changes on buildings, addresses, maps, stationery, etc. Besides, they'd just have to change it back once Obama was convicted by a military tribunal for treason.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
When I hear this stuff, I always tell these people, you have a lot of work to do. But you could make a good deal of progress by renaming this entire country and continent, since it was named after a European blue-eyed devil (Amerigo Vespucci).

And if you think that isn't coming (erasing Amerigo Vespucci's name from this country and continent), I've got a bridge to sell you!

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/1...ool-buildings/
I personally don't care about any statues...a waste of money as is the money to tear them down. More importantly, how is history being taught?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
My ancestors (a lot of them) didn't even come to America until around 1900. Moreover, they came to Minnesota and we didn't really profit from slavery (despite lies that all of America benefited from it) - and if anything, MN lost more from slavery than gained anything since we were one of the first state to volunteer union soldiers, many who died ending slavery.
Well, Blacks lost the most from slavery. Blacks were the ones being enslaved, and after slavery ended, Blacks endured more oppression for the next century.

And by the way, I'd rather be dead than be a slave. You talking about Minnesota's contribution to the Union isn't going to change how I feel regarding Confederates. In fact, it would make me respect Minnesota much more.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I know how it goes. There are counties in Georgia named for Confederate generals.

Bacon County
Bartow County
Cook County (not to be confused with Cook County, Illinois, where Chicago is). This particular Cook County is named for Confederate general Philip Cook. Cook Countyl,IL was named for Illinois politician Daniel Cook.
Jeff Davis County (named for Confederate President Jefferson Davis)
Stephens County
Toombs County
We have a Lee County. I think it was named for Robert E. Lee.

Most of those counties are in southern Georgia, where slavery in Georgia was the most prominant. Only Bartow and Stephens counties are located in northern GA.
Why do we lionize people who fought against the United States of America?

We spend more money on defending other Countries ... & we've allowed monuments, statuary, & schools, streets, et cetera to be named for people who warred against the United States of America?

SNAFU.

Why not implement a public works project to remove the Confederate litter from our public lands? Why not give the people who've suffered the most, & their descendants, from this Country's worst atrocity 'first dibs' on the jobs that would be created?

Rather than demonstrating the ridiculous historical consolations to those who actively sought to destroy this Country.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Why do we lionize people who fought against the United States of America?

We spend more money on defending other Countries ... & we've allowed monuments, statuary, & schools, streets, et cetera to be named for people who warred against the United States of America?

SNAFU.

Why not have a public works project to remove the Confederate litter from our public lands? Why not give the people who've suffered the most, & their descendants, from this Country's worst atrocity 'first dibs' on the jobs that would be created?

Rather than demonstrating the ridiculous historical consolations to those who actively sought to destroy this Country?
I can tell you what the lionizing of Confederates has been about. Anger and resentment towards Blacks. Anger and resentment towards the government. The statues were erected as a way of say "we might have lost and slavery is over, but we run this show and Blacks are still subservient". Schools were named for Confederates as middle finger to school integration. Many people know better, but they won't be honest.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I can tell you what the lionizing of Confederates has been about. Anger and resentment towards Blacks. Anger and resentment towards the government. The statues were erected as a way of say "we might have lost and slavery is over, but we run this show and Blacks are still subservient". Schools were named for Confederates as middle finger to school integration. Many people know better, but they won't be honest.
You're right.

It's ridiculous to continue to appease those who sought to destroy US.

Offer forgiveness? I say yes. To continue the appeasement? NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies