U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 AM

9,461 posts, read 2,322,081 times

Advertisements

Trump stands by 1989 Central Park Five comments

What's Trump's point?

"Following the arrest of the five teenagers, Mr Trump paid for newspaper adverts calling for the return of the death penalty in the state.

The Central Park Five were exonerated in 2002, after another man confessed.

They say their earlier confessions were a result of police coercion"

"They put a bounty on our heads by taking out these full-page ads calling for our deaths," one of the men, Yusef Salaam, said last month.

Mr Trump was asked by a reporter at the White House on Tuesday if he would apologize to the five men for the newspaper ads.

"You have people on both sides of that. They admitted their guilt. If you look at Linda Fairstein and if you look at some of the prosecutors, they think that the city should never have settled that case. So we'll leave it at that."
Donald J. Trump

'Both sides' again, it's always 'both sides' with that guy ... Very odd.

Donald Trump has stated before he has never asked God for forgiveness. I suppose that would make him unique, along with perhaps Jesus Christ.

Trump is not getting any younger, it may be worthwhile for him to make an examination of conscience (just to be on the safe side). No time like the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 AM

78,750 posts, read 33,503,872 times
At least Bush was finally able to say "I was wrong". Trump is incapable of doing so.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 AM

9,048 posts, read 14,314,364 times
“Mayor Koch has stated that hate and rancor should be removed from our hearts. I do not think so. I want to hate these muggers and murderers. They should be forced to suffer and, when they kill, they should be executed for their crimes. They must serve as examples so that others will think long and hard before committing a crime or an act of violence.....I want to hate these murderers and I always will. I am not looking to psychoanalyze or understand them, I am looking to punish them. If the punishment is strong, the attacks on innocent people will stop. I recently watched a newscast trying to explain the “anger in these young men”. I no longer want to understand their anger. I want them to understand our anger. I want them to be afraid.

How can our great society tolerate the continued brutalization of its citizens by crazed misfits? Criminals must be told that their CIVIL LIBERTIES END WHEN AN ATTACK ON OUR SAFETY BEGINS!"

Agreed, T-Jizzle. Agreed.

He won't admit he was wrong but he knows he was wrong. So does anyone with a functioning brain and a soul.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 AM

19,501 posts, read 17,742,092 times
Trump has always been incapable of admitting wrong. This is no different.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 AM

29,363 posts, read 15,414,221 times
Keep in mind that four of them confessed to beating and robbing other victims in the park that night.

When you go around robbing and severely beating people in a park, I don't feel all that bad when your are accidentally convicted of another attack in the same park the same night.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:51 AM

78,750 posts, read 33,503,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Keep in mind that four of them confessed to beating and robbing other victims in the park that night.

When you go around robbing and severely beating people in a park, I don't feel all that bad when your are accidentally convicted of another attack in the same park the same night.
The problem here is that the person who actually did it was allowed to commit other crimes because of the desire to find someone guilty and fast. It could be anyone. Once they locked on, there was no one saying "Hey, wait, something isn't adding up".

Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 AM

11,425 posts, read 8,426,043 times
They were 14-16 year old kids with no lawyers or parents around.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM

976 posts, read 165,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

You need to look at how those confessions were obtained. You do realize your hanging your opinion on a confession from a 14 year old and a 16 year old who were not allowed their parents in the room, food, lawyers, or outside witnesses for over 24 hours each. Several were also struck by detectives during that interrogation.

Put your kids in that situation and what your kids will confess to just to go back home. Trick is the police never intended to let those kids go home, just playing tricks on a child’s mind.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:27 AM

7,800 posts, read 2,269,793 times
Trump should apologize the day after every Senate Democrat issues an apology for their treatment of Justice Kavanaugh.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:28 AM

9,461 posts, read 2,322,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The problem here is that the person who actually did it was allowed to commit other crimes because of the desire to find someone guilty and fast. It could be anyone. Once they locked on, there was no one saying "Hey, wait, something isn't adding up".
This pretty much sums it. Good point. In fact the perpetrator was caught for committing other crimes that might not have happened if the case had been handled properly.

If someone I love was brutally murdered, it would not satisfy me that the wrong person was convicted. That simply is not justice. How it could satisfy anyone else is beyond me.

The fact that someone could be confronted with the evidence that the people punished were innocent of the crime all along, and still could not admit that they should be exonerated is baffling. It seems as if Trump's world famous pride gets in the way of his ability to admit he erred.

Trump should take out a full page ad acknowledging his mistake and retracting his earlier stance. It would be good for his soul. Of course, we all know that would never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or