Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 06:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
When you treat any living thing as purely a commodity then you’ll end up with some pretty bad acts in the name of profits.
Yes. I agree. When money is involved - animal welfare goes out the window.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:50 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,148,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...term=control_1

How do you guys feel about this? And should it extend to horse racing?
I know my family is big on horse gambling. At least my dad’s side. Never cared for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4_2njKmMdU

Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes. I agree. When money is involved - animal welfare goes out the window.
I'll third that.

It's one thing if we're talking food production but for entertainment like horse and dog racing then it's a whole other level imo.

I'm also not even a fan of over-breeding dogs. My sibling has one that is so small they had to help it crap for the first couple months....ugh.

"Well this is a ger-austro-african cuddle-doodle breed. It only lives for 7 days because it has no mouth but it doesn't bark and it's 99.8% genetically engineered cotton candy so when it dies you just eat it and we have a subscription plan that delivers a new one to your door like clockwork."

Old 06-19-2019, 06:58 PM

1,406 posts, read 796,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'll third that.

It's one thing if we're talking food production but for entertainment like horse and dog racing then it's a whole other level imo.
It's not even ok the way we treat animals for food production. Modern industrial farms are a horror story. No animal should be treated the way they are.

But that's a discussion for another thread.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,796,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
PETA wants to stop horse racing. As long as the animals are treated humanely I don't care. Some owners treat them as moneymaking machines, sadly.
I pretty much feel like this. Horse racing too. There are bad apples in every sport.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 PM

4,016 posts, read 2,694,903 times
OK.....gonna put in my two cents as somebody who has been volunteering with a greyhound adoption group for over 15 years (the group in question has been around for over 20.)

For the record, my group is racing-neutral. All opinions here are my own.

I cannot speak for all tracks and kennels in the world, or even in the U.S. I will only speak of the ones that my group deals with.

I have seen the crates that the dogs are homed in, and they are actually generously sized. (One of the kennels has crates large enough that I could almost lay down in them, stretched out, and I'm five foot seven.) They also have large yards and dog runs for the dogs to play in when it's turn out time.

It is true that greyhounds spend a lot of time in their crates. It is also true that despite their reputation, greyhounds are actually pretty lazy dogs who sleep a good part of their days and nights away. These are sprinters, not marathon runners--they have a fifteen-minute burst of crazy energy (great for racing), then they'll nap most of the other 23 hours and 45 minutes.

Both kennels that we work with take good care of the dogs. Injuries are noted and treated. Both have called my group if they have a dog who, for some reason, they think won't be able to race. We have gotten a lot of racing-school dropouts. My first greyhound was one of these--she had speed (her sire set a few records at a local track before it closed), but during her training, she kept trying to chase butterflies. She was sweet, loving, and happy until the day she died. My current girl ran 100 races, taking 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in 58 of them, before retiring to be a brood mama. After three litters (one a year), she got to fully retire and become my pet. She was 8 years old at the time (greyhound life span is 12 to 14 years, on average.)

One of the kennel owners amuses me greatly--he likes to pretend, "Oh, this dog's on my nerves, I've had it with this dog, come and get it away from me"--but we notice when the dog is brought into the room for cat testing, the dog always runs up to him, tail wagging, for snuggles. The owner will also tell us the dog's entire history. There are some we can tell he's deeply attached to. We kind of suspect the 'gruff act' is a way of emotionally preparing himself for the dog to leave. My current greyhound came from this kennel, in fact. He's got several small children on the property who help with the dogs, and the interaction definitely shows with mine--the minute she came off the truck, she walked right up to my two-year-old niece and snuggled her. (In fact, this dog regularly tries to 'kidnap' children, since she thinks they should all belong to her.)

While the kennel owner does breed them for racing, he did tell us that he also breeds them for personality, since he's well aware that their race careers will end someday, and they'll need homes. His dogs are all very sweet--my girl in particular won a lot of hearts. My current girl is also a brood mama, with a total of 17 pups. Many of her pups are now at retirement age themselves, and several of them of come to my group. All got snapped up quickly--they got their mama's personality. Two of her daughters are therapy dogs, in fact. Incidentally, this kennel owner tries to keep the mom and pups together for about a year.

Another greyhound I had years ago was a great favorite of her trainer--he had planned to adopt her himself when she retired. Unfortunately, the track that he worked at closed (as were a number of them), so without a job, he couldn't take the dog for himself. I happened to run into him by coincidence--he immediately recognized the dog (he knew her race name), and was clearly excited to see her again.

For the record, greyhounds are one of the healthiest dog breeds out there. They are not prone to hip dysplasia, like other large breeds are. (Can't have a racer with bad hips.) They're also not prone to the inbreeding (again, you're trying to get a strong, racing athlete.) There is also a website where most greyhounds family trees are. My first greyhound's family tree went all the way back to a greyhound owned by King George III of England.

Also, for the record, both kennels we get dogs from know that sometimes we don't have enough foster families, so they will hold the dogs until we can get an opening. They just don't shrug and say, "Oh well", and destroy the dog.

Again, I am not going to say that everything is perfect for greyhounds. But not everything is horrible for them either.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:51 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,388,186 times
Now, non-human animal fighting I cannot endorse!

Old 06-20-2019, 02:35 AM

27,038 posts, read 13,295,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...term=control_1

How do you guys feel about this? And should it extend to horse racing?
I know my family is big on horse gambling. At least my dad’s side. Never cared for it.
It's just organisations akin to Peta making their moths go.

There are no plans to ban greyhound racing, and horse racing is a massive industry in the UK, and any attempt by a Government to adversely interfere in either sports would be political suicide at the ballot box.

In recent years, animal welfare and racing courses have improved, fences in national hunt have been lowered and animals are given thorough medical checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.