Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
I wonder if trump still pulls these rallies off and makes it a touring show and for profit thing when he's not longer POTUS..

We won't know that until 2025.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Laugh out loud funniest post of the year.
Truly. Still chuckling about that one...

Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
This might be one of the weirdest comparisons I've heard in a long time, and from someone at NPR a little hard to believe. Blaspheme for most Dead fans that no doubt has Jerry Garcia rolling over in his grave...

"It's going to be sort of a big classic Trump rally, like the ones that he held toward the end of his campaign where he filled arenas all over the country. And there will be tailgating, because Trump rallies are in some ways like going to see the Grateful Dead. You get to hear the songs you want to hear. And he always plays the greatest hits, if you will."

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/ta...cratic-debates

Like the Grateful Dead were about playing their greatest hits. Though her political insights are generally far better nuanced, no doubt she has never been to a Dead concert and doesn't understand that comparing Trump to Grateful Dead concerts is something like comparing...

Well don't get me started!
Well.....myself and friends WOULD travel as far as 2 hours from home to go to a Trump rally about the same distance as a concert. But more like a country concert or a Christian concert, more about God and country.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Ouch.

For some, however, all that sort of thing is classy. "Straight talk."

Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you guys should stick with calling millions deplorable as in 2016, it worked out so well for you last time.
I used to think deplorable was a bit insulting, but then Trump came along...

Old 06-20-2019, 11:28 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You mean like this classy crowd?
Bet Deadheads didn't leave a mess like the Trump fans left on that vacant lot in Orlando. It'll take days to clean it up

Old 06-20-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Never was a Dead Head. Too commercial.

That said, Jerry Garcia was a damn fine musician. He could play with any group. I found him playing roots and blue grass. How can any body compare them to Trump?
Well if you consider the Grateful Dead "too commercial," maybe there's a comparison to Trump that fits, but really? First time I've ever heard of this band that probably performed live more than any other as "too commercial." Usually "counter-culture" is more what comes to mind with most people who know anything about the Grateful Dead going back to the beginning.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
My husband and I both have full time jobs. We also own a business together. Beside those two things plus family commitments and other things going on in our lives, we don't really have time to attend any political rally.

Look, we loved Obama. It is my opinion that Obama is one of the greatest presidents this country ever had. And yet not once did we attend his rallies.

I loved Hillary. I still hold the opinion that she would have made a great president. Never attended her rallies, though.

Don't know how Trump supporters could have the time to attend his rallies like that.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:38 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Are you effin kidding me? He uses despicable wording at his rallies to stoke hatred of certain targets of rally-goers ire. He told a crowd to "knock the crap out of them" and he'd pay for an attendee's legal bills. His campaigns are so low in class that parent's had to keep their kids away from the evening news (!!!!). Plus, any school (especially elementary and high schools) with half-way decent discipline would have given in-school suspension if a student did or said anything Trump did.

I suppose it might be classy by state pen standards, but not by the standards of any environment remotely qualifying for polite company or one we want to raise our kids in. If I ever start using definitions and criteria of class that you're apparently using, I hope my nephews and nieces would have the good sense to refuse to have anything to do with me or at least call me out on my behavior.

The 1963 March on Washington was huge, and seemed quite well-behaved.
You beat me to it. When I read the sentence you quoted in the post you were replying to above, the bolded was the first thing I thought about.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
His first stringed instrument as a child was the banjo. He played in several blue grass bands. In an interview I once read, he credited part of his unique style of guitar playing to his earlier banjo playing. He was a great mandolin player too. He continued playing blue grass until the day he died. He did a lot of amazing stuff with a mandolin player named David Grisman.
Not to mention without a middle finger since age five...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies