Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 01:36 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you're for non-assimilation of foreigners out in mainstream America?....got it! By the way, does your Asian co-worker also know English? Isn't it better to be able to communicate with one another than not?
I mean yeah. Otherwise he would not be working here. If he chooses to have a conversation on the phone in his language in the break room or out in public with a friend, Im fine with that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 01:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiomatic View Post
You misunderstand me. I said if Europe has been predisposed to savagery, why do people want to move there. I didn't say Europe hasn't been savage -- of course it has, as has every place. You needn't give me a verbose history lesson or presuppose what I think or know.

According to your last two paragraphs, the only reason people are flooding to Europe nowadays is because the U.S. clamped down on Europe, forcing it to be peaceful, so it's safe to enter. So, how long will this imposed peace last? I find your explanation overly simplified, incorrect, and offensive to Europeans. According to your theory, the minute the U.S. leaves Europe alone, it will revert back to its naturally barbaric state. Immigrants, beware ...
If the United States had left Europe to its own devices immediately after WW2, it would’ve already had far more barbarism on scales that would’ve surpassed its previous performance. Their own track record says this.

I didn’t say that if the United States leaves NOW, that would happen. Of course it wouldn’t ...at least not in the immediate future. Why? Because as I explained earlier, they’ve tied the future of the continent, economically and socially, to the success of all the nations by giving up a piece of sovereignty as EU members. With a common markets and a common currency, war would be asinine. Without the EU however, conflicts that could lead to war are always in the cards. Their own history proves it.

Offensive to Europeans? Meh...so. And? Europeans can rightly say lots of things about the United States that would be offensive to the average American, but offense doesn’t preclude truth. If a European said that the United States is meddlesome and perpetually stirs the poop pot all over the world, many if not most Americans would be highly annoyed at the suggestion. However, being annoyed doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that it’s true. Very true. That’s MOSTLY the reason why it’s offensive.

Sorry if you didn’t like the verbosity, but that’s your problem too. Lol

Old 06-27-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I usually share many of your views, but not that post of yours.
You merely read the list of wars like in a history book, but fail to see that Europe has had lots of peaceful periods between wars. Most of the time there was no war in Europe.
The US is also involved in wars on a regular basis. Between 20 and 30 million people have died due to US involvement in conflicts since WWII.
And don't forget the strong American ideological and financial support for Hitler and Germans as they prepared the Holocaust.
Things are not as simple as you seem to think
By definition, there’s always peace between wars. That’s not saying much.

And please don’t mistake my view of European history as one in which i excuse American horrors perpetrated around the world. I have an extensive list of posts where I address American bad behavior. Look up my history if you don’t believe me. No poster is tougher and more consistent on American malfeasance.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:44 PM

203 posts, read 121,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I’m guessing if someone is a recent immigrant from Europe and spoke say French, German or Italian in public you wouldn’t have a problem. Your ideology is pretty clear isn’t it?
I disagree. Here in Texas, there are Hispanics who refuse to speak English at work -- Home Depot, HEB grocery stores, Walgreen's, fast food places. They either pretend not to know English or genuinely don't know English, but they chat with each other only in Spanish, in front of customers, and act irritated if they're interrupted. In San Antonio, some are downright hostile about it.

There's a young man from Eritrea who works at a local UPS store. He's proud to be improving his English and sometimes asks the correct pronunciation of certain words. He views his aptitude to learn English as an improvement to his life rather than a cultural outrage.

It's funny, my ancestors came from five non-English speaking countries and all of them were eager to learn English -- the language of their adopted country.

Don't assume anyone's ideology, based on your own need to find offense.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Here in Texas, there are Hispanics who refuse to speak English at work -- Home Depot, HEB grocery stores, Walgreen's, fast food places. They either pretend not to know English or genuinely don't know English, but they chat with each other only in Spanish, in front of customers, and act irritated if they're interrupted. In San Antonio, some are downright hostile about it.

There's a young man from Eritrea who works at a local UPS store. He's proud to be improving his English and sometimes asks the correct pronunciation of certain words. He views his aptitude to learn English as an improvement to his life rather than a cultural outrage.

It's funny, my ancestors came from five non-English speaking countries and all of them were eager to learn English -- the language of their adopted country.

Don't assume anyone's ideology, based on your own need to find offense.
Everyone says that about their ancestors. History however says that this wasn’t the norm, but the exception.

Most non English speaking immigrants to this country clung HARD to their language and culture. Super hard. The largest ethnic group in this country is German. The peak of German immigration was around 1870. Dropped super fast after that.

Yet at the dawn of WW1, there were 700 German newspapers in the United States. That’s about a 45 year span...not to mention that this country was probably at least half German upon our 1776 independence declaration.

So the romanticism surrounding European immigrants is mostly fantastic. Your ancestors may have been eager to learn English upon arrival, but that was the rare exception.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If the United States had left Europe to its own devices immediately after WW2, it would’ve already had far more barbarism on scales that would’ve surpassed its previous performance. Their own track record says this.

I didn’t say that if the United States leaves NOW, that would happen. Of course it wouldn’t ...at least not in the immediate future. Why? Because as I explained earlier, they’ve tied the future of the continent, economically and socially, to the success of all the nations by giving up a piece of sovereignty as EU members. With a common markets and a common currency, war would be asinine. Without the EU however, conflicts that could lead to war are always in the cards. Their own history proves it.

Offensive to Europeans? Meh...so. And? Europeans can rightly say lots of things about the United States that would be offensive to the average American, but offense doesn’t preclude truth. If a European said that the United States is meddlesome and perpetually stirs the poop pot all over the world, many if not most Americans would be highly annoyed at the suggestion. However, being annoyed doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that it’s true. Very true. That’s MOSTLY the reason why it’s offensive.

Sorry if you didn’t like the verbosity, but that’s your problem too. Lol
No, it's not a problem. From time to time, I enjoy seeing a gasbag get wound up. Of course I'm not referring to you.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
By definition, there’s always peace between wars. That’s not saying much.

And please don’t mistake my view of European history as one in which i excuse American horrors perpetrated around the world. I have an extensive list of posts where I address American bad behavior. Look up my history if you don’t believe me. No poster is tougher and more consistent on American malfeasance.
I guess it might simply be a defect of the white "race", maybe due to the Neanderthal admixture...
I don't think the US would be involved in so many conflicts if it were overwhelmingly black or even Asian instead of white.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
No, it's not a problem. From time to time, I enjoy seeing a gasbag get wound up. Of course I'm not referring to you.
I’m not a rat or snitch. If you’re gonna call names, you should stand behind them and make them specific to the person you’re talking about. That’s the least you could do considering that it really doesn’t take guts to name call on a website.

If you can’t deal with a possible suspension (that would have nothing to do with me saying anything), then you should abstain from talking out the side of your neck, Playboy!

Old 06-27-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess it might simply be a defect of the white "race", maybe due to the Neanderthal admixture...
Lol...I’m not going there. Not my place to say as a black person. I’ll just speak on my own people’s defects of which there’s NO shortage.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Everyone says that about their ancestors. History however says that this wasn’t the norm, but the exception.

Most non English speaking immigrants to this country clung HARD to their language and culture. Super hard. The largest ethnic group in this country is German. The peak of German immigration was around 1870. Dropped super fast after that.

Yet at the dawn of WW1, there were 700 German newspapers in the United States. That’s about a 45 year span...not to mention that this country was probably at least half German upon our 1776 independence declaration.

So the romanticism surrounding European immigrants is mostly fantastic. Your ancestors may have been eager to learn English upon arrival, but that was the rare exception.
You can retain your culture and language and also embrace the culture and language of your new country. Anyone with average intelligence can do so.

Have no idea about what "romanticism" you're referring to. Almost all of my ancestors brutally clawed their way up when they came to the U.S. I suspect the same goes for most people's ancestors.

Meanwhile, I'd like to pick up a prescription at Walgreen's tonight and ask questions about possible drug interactions -- in English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies