Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 PM

10,822 posts, read 14,891,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Multiculturalism -- The Distinguishing Factor That Makes Canada Great

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjse.../#3bde26206b11
“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”
― Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 11:22 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,554,898 times
Default brainwash ... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
“Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word.”
― Thomas Sowell
It works until government gets involved then every one starts hating each other and they haven't a clue as to why.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:18 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,492,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Switzerland has 4 different languages spoken in its borders. There is no "Swiss language". There is a Swiss dialect of German, but several languages are spoken: French, German, Italian, and Romansch. Both the Roman Catholic faith and the Swiss Reform Church are the two largest faiths in Switzerland. Switzerland does just fine.

Singapore his home to Malays, Chinese, Indians, and other groups. English, Malay, Tamil, and Mandarin Chinese are spoken there. A large portion of the population is Buddhist, followed by Christianity, Islam, Taoist, and Hindu. So far, Singapore is doing alright.

The country of Mauritius, an island nation in the east of Africa, is a multiracial country and people practicing different religious. It is known for having stability and racial harmony. This isn't to say that there isn't any prejudice. In Mauritius, national identity transcends race and ethnicity. Some of the bonds include the island nation being founded by different peoples. There is no "original Mauritian". Other bonds include being in a tight knit community and having respect for one another. Mauritius actually has one of the highest standards of living in Africa.

A few countries that have made being in a diverse setting work. I would say that in the pluralism of those countries, the over all identity is being Swiss, being Singaporean, being Mauritian, something that transcends it. There is an identity in having formed those countries.

Have you ever been to Mauritius ?
The country is riven with racial and cultural tension which occasional flares up like the Reggae Riots 20 years ago.
The idea that Hindus,Muslims and Creoles all get along in happy-clappy harmony is preposterous.

https://amp.ft.com/content/1633d034-...9-b9d50a74fd14

Old 07-04-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
The country is riven with racial and cultural tension which occasional flares up like the Reggae Riots 20 years ago.
The idea that Hindus,Muslims and Creoles all get along in happy-clappy harmony is preposterous.

I hit a pay wall on that article.

Mauritius – Peace in Diversity

"Imagine Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, Jews, and Atheists living harmoniously together? Welcome to the Republic of Mauritius.
<snip>
There are no race riots here."

My stance is that people are fine with one to another, until the leaders of government(s) become involved ... Leaders lead by example.

Change Comes Slowly for Religious Diversity in India

"Religion is taken far more seriously in India than it often is in the West and by virtually the entire population. It is often difficult for a foreigner to fully appreciate religion’s importance in this officially secular country. Followers of India’s religions, particularly Hindus and Muslims, have created what Indians call “communities,” groups who largely coexist peacefully but live and worship in separate social circles. Accordingly, when violence does break out between groups, it is referred to as “communal” violence.
<snip>
Some of the social and economic differences among religious communities are reflected in local and national politics and occasionally lead to violence.3 But in general, India’s record on religious toleration for the past 40 years has been remarkable, particularly in view of efforts by some radical groups to upset it."

Old 07-04-2019, 08:17 PM

72,850 posts, read 62,315,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post

That is far less riots than what has happened in the USA or the UK. Mauritius is more diverse and racially mixed and somehow, it has had fewer issues with rioting than the UK or the USA. I never said it was perfect. I even said there was prejudice there. My point that Mauritius, a very diverse country, is considered far more stable and in better shape than most of Africa.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:22 PM

15,050 posts, read 10,033,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It works until government gets involved then every one starts hating each other and they haven't a clue as to why.
Yes, it works until peoples' perception is that the government favors one group or groups of people. The issue isn't so much diversity but rather groups of people who don't feel like they have a voice or representation in government.

We overthrew English rule here in the states in part to the same lack of voice and representation in the English governing... Remember.... taxation without representation.

I think diversity is one of America's strengths....

I work in a rather diverse organization... Groups of people whose ancestors hated each other.. But here... In and outside of work, we've managed to get along leaving cultural differences aside... Shared meals.. Attended each other's parties... And spend a good chunk of our daily lives working together.

A large percentage of new business and job creators are from foreign nationals and some of the best minds we have are either immigrants of other cultures or descendants of them.

Everyone knows what USB connector is... Decades of powering, charging and connecting our tech devices... Invented in part by an Indian America. A large portion of the tech that makes the US a strong player in global tech is from immigrant inventors.

I am also a 1st gen product of immigrants... I have a diverse set of friends and I love to learn about their culture... I can speak phrases in Korean, Russian, Portuguese, and Spanish. I found that I am a lot more open minded and a better thinker because of it... More so since my later childhood was among predominantly a homogeneous white affluent environment. Back then, I only knew one and only one view point... A rather limiting and naive view of America.

Sure.. immigration and diversity isn't perfect. There are those that don't seek to assimilate into American culture just like there are Americans are set in their ways and don't want to accept those immigrants of other cultures. That isn't a reflection of diversity as a problem but rather the closed minds of particular individuals. In my experience, the 1st generation American born in that family is usually more adapt at assimilation/fusing their own native culture with that around them. It is simple human nature to be set in our ways.

Its ok if an individual doesn't want to keep an open mind and feels comfort among a homogeneous environment that reflects only themselves... But don't expect America to stop moving towards diversity because of it....

Last edited by usayit; 07-04-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yes, it works until peoples' perception is that the government favors one group or groups of people. The issue isn't so much diversity but rather groups of people who don't feel like they have a voice or representation in government.

We overthrew English rule here in the states in part to the same lack of voice and representation in the English governing... Remember.... taxation without representation.

I think diversity is one of America's strengths....

I work in a rather diverse organization... Groups of people whose ancestors hated each other.. But here... In and outside of work, we've managed to get along leaving cultural differences aside... Shared meals.. Attended each other's parties... And spend a good chunk of our daily lives working together.

A large percentage of new business and job creators are from foreign nationals and some of the best minds we have are either immigrants of other cultures or descendants of them.

Everyone knows what USB connector is... Decades of powering, charging and connecting our tech devices... Invented in part by an Indian America. A large portion of the tech that makes the US a strong player in global tech is from immigrant inventors.

I am also a 1st gen product of immigrants... I have a diverse set of friends and I love to learn about their culture... I can speak phrases in Korean, Russian, Portuguese, and Spanish. I found that I am a lot more open minded and a better thinker because of it... More so since my later childhood was among predominantly a homogeneous white affluent environment. Back then, I only knew one and only one view point... A rather limiting and naive view of America.

Sure.. immigration and diversity isn't perfect. There are those that don't seek to assimilate into American culture just like there are Americans are set in their ways and don't want to accept those immigrants of other cultures. That isn't a reflection of diversity as a problem but rather the closed minds of particular individuals. In my experience, the 1st generation American born in that family is usually more adapt at assimilation/fusing their own native culture with that around them. It is simple human nature to be set in our ways.

Its ok if an individual doesn't want to keep an open mind and feels comfort among a homogeneous environment that reflects only themselves... But don't expect America to stop moving towards diversity because of it....
Quote:
A large portion of the tech that makes the US a strong player in global tech is from immigrant inventors.
And as the u.s. increases its deportation numbers which will include the majority of tech and small business entrepreneurs, in time they will learn, that was a bad idea.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
WW2 changed everything for the Germans living here ... I read some where that the German language was being taught in the schools all was well until the war.
Not Widely Know – The Internment Camps of Germans in America During WW2

After all of that many changed their names and set about not drawing attention to themselves. You guys call it assimilate, I call it brainwashing ...

Any way, American hot dog right ... ? no German sausages ...

Hot Dog History

I knew that one right off as I looked it up, because my father was all, baseball, apple pie and hot dog ... the American way. Baseball is right, but apple pie came from England culture.

Building Institutions, Shaping Tastes

" ... the German influence on life in the United States runs much deeper, influencing many of the institutions, traditions, and daily habits that many today think of as being quintessentially American."

I know if I look up other countries, their culture and how they have influenced the American culture, there will be many listed and in how their influence is significant and the way we live our lives in the u.s. We just call it the American way, without a thought to the idea, the American way, came from some where else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
The Royals "changed" their name to Windsor as a result of early squabbles of WWI.
I took German in 6th grade wayyyy after WWII had ended.
Close family friends spoke German in our home on visits...and still used the term Juden.

People are people in a Nation.
Those damaging the success of a Nation undermine through devious behaviours in order to gain power, not peace.

Nationalism is another term for exclusion.
Exclusion is a road to exert power over others...not to promote peace.

The likes of Putin and Trump are power and money hungry . They get their citizenry fighting in petty civil wars through media broadcasters who have sold their souls.
I digress.Sorry.

Watch Avengers Infinity War and you'll see why it was so popular. All nations coming together to fight evil in their midst.
That is what people want. Solidarity for peace.
Not exclusion for one group to have power and pleasures over others and at the expense of others and themselves.

Believe me, the Trumps are as hated as Marie Antionette , and Putin as the Romanovs.
History repeats itself.
Thankfully.
Quote:
The Royals "changed" their name to Windsor as a result of early squabbles of WWI.
I took German in 6th grade wayyyy after WWII had ended.
I'm old and it was in 2002 that I learned the u.s. had (throughout our history) Concentration Camps, which I never thought would be possible here ... perhaps it was taught to me in high school and I have forgotten of it over the years ... not really sure, because as I age I'm also learning that I will probably forget more than the young people today will learn.
Quote:
Nationalism is another term for exclusion.
Exclusion is a road to exert power over others...not to promote peace.
I agree
Quote:
Watch Avengers Infinity War and you'll see why it was so popular. All nations coming together to fight evil in their midst.
I did (loved the movie and will watch it again, I'm sure) but here's the thing ... most of my life I believed that America (stemming from what I learned of WWII) was the rescuers of people, turns out that was figment of my imagination.
Quote:
Believe me, the Trumps are as hated as Marie Antionette , and Putin as the Romanovs.
I've known Trump a long time and if the election was held in the 80's he would not, given to his character, been elected POTUS, then. But the u.s. changed, as so did it's people, thus Trump is the symptom of a much broader illness in the heart of the u.s. social fabric. There are those that hate him and there are those that don't and if I could pull a thread, I would.
Quote:
History repeats itself.
When this country was founded it was to give home to those who sought liberty from their oppressive governments. Or so I was led to believe; affirmed by Miss Lady Liberty with her torch well lit to guide people to their new home. As it turns out that too, is a figment of my imagination.

People change and so do their beliefs; I may not like it; I may not adhere to it; but I understand it, none-the-less. Before people will understand how far wrong they've gone, they will have to hit rock bottom, before they can begin to see how to set all things right again. It is after all, how lessons are learned ... and sometimes those lessons have to be taught more than once.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:20 AM

5,789 posts, read 3,579,799 times
A lot of people used to say that non-British Isles people were killing our culture - and even then they called the Irish inferior or at best "Papist". Yet the US became a world power AFTER the Anglo-Saxon-Scots-Welsh fell below 50% of the population.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:16 AM

15,050 posts, read 10,033,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
A lot of people used to say that non-British Isles people were killing our culture - and even then they called the Irish inferior or at best "Papist". Yet the US became a world power AFTER the Anglo-Saxon-Scots-Welsh fell below 50% of the population.
Yes... anti-Irish nativism of our US history didn't result in the destruction of our nation. No reason why multiculturalism today will be any different. No one looks at an Irish-American today and considers them a threat to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies