Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 01:02 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We didn't have social welfare benefits to speak of until early in the 20th Century. The move towards immigration restriction, other than Oriental exclusion (another story entirely, but one entirely based on racism) started in the 1920s. Restrictions were proposed as early as 1903 but the legislation did not pass. It is definitely tied to the availability of public welfare.
Take another look at history. The immigration exclusion began in the 1880s and, when government welfare programs began in the 1930s, they were largely restricted to white recipients.

Sorry but I’m not here for all the whining from people who largely became middle class via welfare programs. It’s nothing but denial and an entitlement attitude based on race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Interesting you ignored the rest of my comment.

You know what I'm speaking of if you are a Jew.

Neither of my grandparents want a check for getting called a n**ger at work or walking the streets or at a public institution, etc. I personally have been called a n**ger b**ch many times when I was at work - yet I'm not asking for a check or payment.

However, my grandfather could not get a job just because he was black at certain companies and even in our local government. He especially could not use his GI Bill money to help buy the house he wanted in the city he grew up in here in Ohio in the 1950s after he got back from Korea. He is a veteran. He and I are of similar opinion about names being called - they are not a big deal; however, the economic stifling that was specific to black people in America was very unique. In America Jews were/are white and were not subjected to apartheid treatment all over the country based on their appearance alone. They could change their names and live the American dream as a white person. Grandpa could not get rid of his blackness. He's pretty dark skinned and still alive at 87 years old.

I think it is "easy" for people against reparations to always want to talk about slavery and ignore the Jim Crow era. Slavery lead to Jim Crow and overt oppression in the 20th century that still impacts black Americans today, especially in regards to housing prices which have a direct correlation to redlining - something supported by the Federal government. Also the fact that veterans like my grandfather couldn't use their GI Bill money for houses during the "boom" era to earn their families wealth is something that generationally impacts black Americans to this day. My grandfather today does own a very nice house in a middle income neighborhood which is predominantly black. Because his neighborhood is predominantly black people in our city view it as "undesirable" so even though it is a nice house, he does not have the wealth/equity in it like he would have had he been allowed to buy a house in the area he initially wanted to buy. He also would have paid it off sooner had he been allowed to use the GI Bill and get a mortgage in the 1950s. Things improved in the 1960s in our area and he bought his house in the late 1960s around the time that housing discrimination began to wane in this part of Ohio (after Dr. King's assassination).
Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Oh, so you are a woman?

Would you like reparation from us men from centuries of sex discrimination?
Nope, however, I do understand the reasons behind the push for reparations for the African-American population.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:13 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Germany had no choice but to pay the Jews reparations and for a bunch of other stuff, basically forced to admit they were totally responsible for WW2 (which, they were not, but that is another discussion.), on account of them being militarily defeated and totally at the mercy of the Soviets and the Allies.

Nobody is in a position to dictate those sorts of terms to the American government regarding reparations for black people, and black people themselves do not have the power and influence the Jewish lobby does. Not even close. That being said, don't hold your breath for this one to happen. The left is pandering harder to the black vote this time than they probably ever have in their desperate attempt to throw the kitchen sink at Donald Trump in 2020. They will say or promise nearly anything because they know apathetic blacks and other minorities are what sunk Hillary Clinton. They know they have to sweeten the pot with lies so that blacks will be sufficiently persuaded to go vote for Biden or whoever. It's "build the wall" and "repeal and replace Obamacare" for the left. None of this will happen, but too many of you schmucks are apparently still falling for it.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
More than one of the posters has stated he doesn't want reparations because all other minority programs would be eliminated.

How many people against reparations would be for them if all other minority programs were eliminated?

Old 06-25-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Germany had no choice but to pay the Jews reparations and for a bunch of other stuff, basically forced to admit they were totally responsible for WW2 (which, they were not, but that is another discussion.), on account of them being militarily defeated and totally at the mercy of the Soviets and the Allies.

Nobody is in a position to dictate those sorts of terms to the American government regarding reparations for black people, and black people themselves do not have the power and influence the Jewish lobby does. Not even close. That being said, don't hold your breath for this one to happen. The left is pandering harder to the black vote this time than they probably ever have in their desperate attempt to throw the kitchen sink at Donald Trump in 2020. They will say or promise nearly anything because they know apathetic blacks and other minorities are what sunk Hillary Clinton. They know they have to sweeten the pot with lies so that blacks will be sufficiently persuaded to go vote for Biden or whoever. It's "build the wall" and "repeal and replace Obamacare" for the left. None of this will happen, but too many of you schmucks are apparently still falling for it.
Agree with most of this. But their promises aren’t going to help anything when the candidates are lackluster. It sank Hillary and will sink any other candidate that isn’t good enough. Most black people are not persuaded by promises regarding reparations. Not at all.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:01 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post

None of the Democratic candidates is proposing reparations.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:07 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think you're missing the point. Many men would push the envelope and do whatever they wanted as long as it was legal. The minute legislation made it a crime, those 'law-abiding' white men stopped taking advantage of the system - and stopped taking advantage of black women.

It's a completely different mindset of a criminal, so you cannot compare what happened before this became law, with criminal statistics.

And by the way - many of the white men doing this - were cops.
Am I? I think the point here is that stuff like this, bad as it was, can still be exaggerated, leading to widespread misunderstanding and compounded hate. I've encountered people in discussions who insist that millions of blacks were lynched during Jim Crow. And pointing to the Tuskegee study which counted 3,446 didn't convince them otherwise. They really wanted to believe it was millions.

You yourself seem to buy into the claim that it was legal in the United States to rape black women prior to 1964, which is ridiculous. Yes, there were undoubtedly cases of redneck towns with prosecutors and judges who refused to punish rapists but that isn't quite the same thing is it?

Old 06-25-2019, 08:00 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Take another look at history. The immigration exclusion began in the 1880s and, when government welfare programs began in the 1930s, they were largely restricted to white recipients.

Sorry but I’m not here for all the whining from people who largely became middle class via welfare programs. It’s nothing but denial and an entitlement attitude based on race.

How many times are you going to repeat this? We all know it isn't true, and your endless repeating of it will never make it true.

And when will you fess up and admit that welfare has made things worse for the blacks in the US, not better?

Asking for a friend...

Old 06-25-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
How many times are you going to repeat this? We all know it isn't true, and your endless repeating of it will never make it true.

And when will you fess up and admit that welfare has made things worse for the blacks in the US, not better?

Asking for a friend...
I will repeat it whenever needed. It’s the TRUTH and people such as yourself as suffering from DENIAL. The white middle class is largely the product of welfare and it only became a problem when it became fully accessible to blacks and other minorities in the 60s.

So many multigenerational Americans are in denial of their history, especially among the whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies