Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I have a black GGGrandfather (a slave? maybe) and a Mexican Great Grandmother. My family always called her a Mexican Indian, but we understood what she was. A wet back. Basically, She married my French American grandfather, making her a legal citizen.

Why should I be held accountable for reparations? Why should I pay for something I had no responsibility for to people who were never slaves?
I am not in favor of reparations myself, but I feel obliged to point out that one aspect of living in America involves paying for all kinds of things where you're not personally involved - such as with your taxes funding schools, even if you're childless.

I think there are better arguments against reparations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
I am very encouraged by the Dims and their focus on reparations. Conceptually, the folks who would benefit already vote Dim about 90% of the time, so they are pandering to the choir. It smells like desperation, and practically ensures Trump's reelection. Covfefe, and all that!

Edited to add: at least some of the Buckeye family were in Virginia in the late 1700s. No idea if they were slave owners or not.

Last edited by Buckeye77; 06-19-2019 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 09:50 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I am not in favor of reparations myself, but I feel obliged to point out that one aspect of living in America involves paying for all kinds of things where you're not personally involved - such as with your taxes funding schools, even if you're childless.

I think there are better arguments against reparations.
100% agreed

Old 06-20-2019, 06:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m snickering because all of a sudden, no one’s ancestry goes back before 18665 in America.
My 1st French ancestor arrived in what is now Maine in 1604, the 1st English ancestor in Boston in 1630, the 1st Dutch ancestor in what is now NYC in 1657, the 1st Irish ancestor in NJ in 1850, and the 1st German ancestor in NJ in 1852.

I know my family history very well. None had any slaves. They were farmers and mill workers in New England, NY/NJ, Quebec, and New Brunswick up until my generation when my siblings and I emerged from centuries of lower and lower middle class ancestry through much hard work and sacrifice. Slavery never benefited my family but they fought for the Union during the Civil War.

Don't tell me that I owe people big $ simply because their ancestors were slaves. Go talk to the Brits who brought most of the slaves to the colonies if you think you are owed something. The US didn't even exist until 1789. Up until 1776 the colonies were fully under British control, and the in-between years were somewhere between the two.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I have a black GGGrandfather (a slave? maybe) and a Mexican Great Grandmother. My family always called her a Mexican Indian, but we understood what she was. A wet back. Basically, She married my French American grandfather, making her a legal citizen.

Why should I be held accountable for reparations?

Why should I pay for something I had no responsibility for to people who were never slaves?
The government won’t increase the federal minimum wage, what chance do people honestly think “reparations†has?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I am a immigrant to this country.

BOTH my parents were held as slaves by the Germans during WWII. The Europeans have been discussing for years and years about paying reparations to the slaves during WWII. Last I heard the Clinton Administration (Democrats) opposed forcing the German companies to pay reparations.

So my parents never got any monies for in reparations for being slaves thanks to the Democrats, but I get to pay for folks whose were held as slaves OVER 150 years ago and millions of Americans died to get rid of slavery.

It appears to 250,000 Americans died to free my parents from slavery. Bless them and their families.

The Clinton Administration worked in favor of reparations in France & Germany...

Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
The SJWs advocating for slavery reparations tend to not realize just how stupid and far-fetched such a plan would be when implementing it.

Nonsense!

It is entirely appropriate when you accept the premise that true democracy requires 51% of the population be able to force 49% of the population to pay the controlling 51% any amount they deem appropriate and for any reason they invent.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:25 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,398 times
17th century for my white side, before there was a US.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:46 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
My Celtic ancestor married a native american, do I write a check or pick one up?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Im going to sue myself for my 5th century Saxon ancestors invading Britain and doing the whole rape and pillage thing. Also my 1st century Roman Ancestors who invaded Britain...

Inconvenient fact. There was slavery in the northern colonies. It was phased out shortly after 1776.

If you have ancestors in the colonies from ca 1630, you very likely had slave owners. For some, even poor ancestors who lived in a hovel had a single slave who was literally worth more than everything else they owned. With 25 years of genealogy under my belt I know darn well it would be an extreme statistical anomaly to only have poor ancestors. I have ancestors who were worth less than nothing... and the sister of a Revolutionary war general worth quite a bit. Two that I know of had slaves and suspect 2 others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies