Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,967 times

Advertisements

Why are the red states staying silent on the marijuana issue? Too beholden to the private prison lobby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanelo View Post
A lot could be done by a POTUS with executive orders. POTUS could remove it from Schedule I and instruct the DOJ and US Attorneys to no longer prosecute marijuana cases. It would still technically be illegal but that law would no longer be enforced.
Oh sure. In fact, you don't even need to remove it from Schedule 1 to direct the DoJ to not prosecute small cases in states that had changed their laws. That's what the Obama administration did.

But that's not really the same as Congress changing the law. When the law remains as it is, when the administration changes, enforcement changes, and the feds can always ramp up enforcement, if they are so inclined.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Why are the red states staying silent on the marijuana issue? Too beholden to the private prison lobby?
Possibly.

But I think the real reason is that too many red state voters still think that marijuana is the devil's weed, and for them, the devil is a real personage, not a wry statement.

The Congressional Cannabis Caucus is bipartisan.

It's interesting that, other than the co-chairs, I can find no membership list. Makes me think that many of these folks don't want their support generally known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congre...annabis_Caucus
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/co...s-116th-33078/

Old 06-20-2019, 10:33 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I agree with that.

But I don't agree that it rises to the level of treason.
Really? Our govt creates laws that benefit foreign criminal organizations...and that is not treasonous?

Its definitely aiding and abetting, and probably entering into a criminal conspiracy, among other high crimes.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
A win for personal freedom and a win for states rights.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Really? Our govt creates laws that benefit foreign criminal organizations...and that is not treasonous?

Its definitely aiding and abetting, and probably entering into a criminal conspiracy, among other high crimes.
Shrug. Treason, in my mind, is a word that is generally used to describe, for instance, the selling of state secrets or deliberately plotting to overthrow the government.

The US government has often enacted laws that have come back to bite us in the butt. Usually, at the behest of some business interest or other. I take an extremely dim view of this state of affairs, but using your definition, just about every single US company operating internationally would be guilty of treason. Good luck with that.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Looks like another legislative action denying white males equal protection under the law.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Looks like another legislative action denying white males equal protection under the law.
Um, what?

Are you saying that white males are denied equal protection by marijuana legalization? How does your statement even BEFGIN to make sense?

Old 06-21-2019, 01:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
I hope every state decriminalizes pot.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Shrug. Treason, in my mind, is a word that is generally used to describe, for instance, the selling of state secrets or deliberately plotting to overthrow the government.

The US government has often enacted laws that have come back to bite us in the butt. Usually, at the behest of some business interest or other. I take an extremely dim view of this state of affairs, but using your definition, just about every single US company operating internationally would be guilty of treason. Good luck with that.
Yeah, maybe treason is not most applicable here.

However since drug laws do exist, this makes the nation a very lucrative marketplace for the cartels to sell their drugs in...they also know they will have little to no competition, (considering what happened to the pharma companies that tried to encroach onto their turf with opioid painkillers!)...

Govt swooped in and shut them down quickly, they put the fear of God into doctors, hospitals, etc, generally making opioids difficult to obtain (while heroin is easily available and much cheaper).

No matter how you slice it, this is preferential treatment towards foreign criminal organizations, allowing them to operate within our borders and break our laws in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies