Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 09:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,928,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Why don't you tell that sob story to Iran who just shot down our friggin drone, unprovoked.

War is a two-way street, Skippy.
If you are spying on another country, international space or not, it is not unprovoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,278 posts, read 6,241,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
First off, let's be adults here, everybody spies.

Now, assuming this information is even true .....

If the drone was in their airspace then tough luck for us.

However, if it's in international airspace then that would be on them.

This is pretty widely accepted in the international community, Russian spy planes or US spy planes peeking over the boarder from altitude electronically or *gasp* sattelites you just don't shoot out of the sky.

This entire conversation could be had about two other countries like if Pakistan shot down an Indian drone or China shooting down a Russian object etc etc. etc.
Based on the claimed crash location I don't think it could be in International Airspace. If it wasn't in international airspace you pays your money and takes your chances that whoever's airspace you were shot down in complaints on your behalf, and that you had permission to be in their airspace at the time of the shoot down.

I noticed the US confirmed the drone was an RQ-4 Global Hawk, not a Triton, which isn't good for the US credibility when they previously claimed it was a Triton, if it got something as simple as the drone type wrong, how accurately is it in claims of its location?

2,830 posts, read 2,491,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We did this to them back in the day, but the plane was a civilian jet liner with 290 passengers.
Simple question:

Do you want every country and terrorist organization in the world to have nuclear weapons?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,810,514 times
Quote:
Simple question:

Do you want every country and terrorist organization in the world to have nuclear weapons?
Why not magical weapons instead? An equally likely scenario to the fear mongering one you are trying to push here.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:17 AM

28,572 posts, read 18,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We did this to them back in the day, but the plane was a civilian jet liner with 290 passengers. Ironically the US ship which fired the missile was on Iranian waters. It was an accident, but stands as a good example that these kinds of things happen when things are escalated, and Trump seems hell bent on escalating this one.
Ah, someone remembers that the Iranians still have a lot of catching up to do before the US can accuse them of provocation.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:22 AM

18,132 posts, read 15,536,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
If we were Iran and anyone was flying drones in the straights of Hormuz we’d shoot it down. International is 200 miles from the coast. Nothing in the straights of Hormuz is 200 miles from Iran.

Umm, and the point is? Again, people can defend and justify Iran all they like and in some cases I may agree. But it doesn't matter. The US is in a position to tell Iran to stuff all their territorial claims under the umbrella of right of passage. Interfering with and harassing/attacking shipping and aviation in the strait just won't do.

Whatever the end motivation is be it free passage in the strait or some other goal, nefarious or noble or a combination of the two Iran needs to back off. Their territorial claims are not going to fly and they have been on the US s*** iist for quite a while now. Powers that be want to cross them off the notepad.

Iran is not going to be allowed to claim and try and enforce their territorial claims on the strait. Shooting down our drones and attacking shipping is not doing Iran any favors. Defend them all you wish. Throw out US "imperialism" and provocation till the cows come home. I doesn't change a thing.

My main concern is that our people in the region be allowed to defend themselves with all assets at their disposal. I'm a soldier not a diplomat. If Iran starts shooting we need to shoot back. If we are going to commit we need to be all in. I certainly don't want to see any invasion attempt or even striking Iran feet dry. That would not be prudent. Not because they would beat us but there is just no need for that. In terms of both strategy and tactics we should operate at sea and in the air over the sea to defend shipping and aviation.

But what I think and you think is irrelevant. We've been here before with Iran. At this point things back then were a lot more tense but it worked out. I would like to believe it will this time too. Iran is trying to save face right now. They want to show other ME countries that they aren't intimidated by the US. Typical of a leadership that is still living in the times of Saladin.

Iranian leadership is running on a theocratic premise and they truly believe Allah has their back. So, the US can't afford to back down here and neither can the Iranians. There will be some loss of life in this. It's a gimme. But hopefully it can be limited. I suppose that is contingent on just how much Allah is going to offer.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:24 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,953,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh, that was the result of Iraq. Do some reading. We upset the entire regional stability and the border between Iraq and Syria was pretty much done away with.

Wouldn't have happened if not for Neo-Cons. GWB and all....

Meanwhile, war with Iran will end up much worse...over the long run. Decade and decades of blow back.

But, hey. maybe a stable genius can see that far?
A civil war in Syria had nothing to do with Iraq. The overflow of insurgency from Iraq was not until Assad lost control of Syria from the arab spring when obamas state dept and israel decided to arm the FSA.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:24 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,827,947 times
Quote:
Why don't you tell that sob story to Iran who just shot down our friggin drone, unprovoked.

War is a two-way street, Skippy.
Unprovoked? What was the drone doing there, Skippy? Out for a joy ride?

Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 AM

76,992 posts, read 47,311,479 times
Quote:
Simple question:

Do you want to make agreements with foreign governments to prevent it only to dishonor those agreements months later.

Besides, this is not about nukes. This is about stupidity of Donald Trump.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,506,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Iran shot down a 180 million dollars drone in international airspace:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-state-TV.html

They need to reimburse us.
Don't like drones. Never thought they were a good idea. I've considered shooting down the little pests in my neighborhood. Personally, I think they should all be shot down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies